Thread: Received Gift Wrapped Gio, Should I Feel Bad?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Received Gift Wrapped Gio, Should I Feel Bad?

I get home from work today and in my Inbox is a trade offer in my 13 team limited keeper money league (Not listed in my sig). I give Joe Thornton, I get Mark Giordano. My initial thought was I should give him more, even though I realize that Giordano could be out for the rest of the season. NHL Playoffs factor into our league as well (reduced rosters). I'm in 5th, he's in 7th, the top 4 get $$.

Roto: F/D - G, A, Pts, +/-, PiM, PPP, SOG (adding H, BS next year)

Was probably going to keep Thornton as one of my 12 keepers, but Gio is a much better keeper, even if he's out the rest of the year, right?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Received Gift Wrapped Gio, Should I Feel Bad?

Yes... much better.

How close are you to a championship? Is the race so tight that Thornton could be the make or break? Hell, who am I kidding, I would take Gio anyway lol

Dobber Sports Giant

You should throw him a pick so the rest of the managers don't hate,and blackball, you.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Icon

I would keep the guy who's had more than 70 points in each non lockout season since 2002 over the guy who's never had 50 points in a season in his 9 year NHL career. I don't think Joe Thornton's ever relied on his speed to get him points so even if he slows down a bit he's still going to out produce every NHL dman again next season.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I would keep the guy who's had more than 70 points in each non lockout season since 2002 over the guy who's never had 50 points in a season in his 9 year NHL career. I don't think Joe Thornton's ever relied on his speed to get him points so even if he slows down a bit he's still going to out produce every NHL dman again next season.
    Are you being serious?

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think Thornton is a little under-rated, but in fantasy hockey, especially roto, he pretty much only contributes in Assists and Points. Giordano provides great numbers from D, but he's going to miss time.

I took the trade without offering up an upgrade in draft picks, mainly due to the playoff component and if Gio is out the rest of the year, it hurts my chance at 3rd/4th this year.

My team is nowhere near being championship material yet. My top forward might have been Thornton. I have Krejci, Kreider, Hossa and M.Koivu. My D is Giordano (now), Phaneuf, Franson, Green, Chara, Wiz, Jack Johnson and Daley. My G is strong with Rinne and Schneider. Obviously, I need to do some work in acquiring a couple of top end forwards before I can even think about competing for top spot. I'll load up on playoff potential guys closer to the end of the season and make my money back somehow!

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think you got fleeced!!! (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Are you being serious?
    Yes I was. Thornton is a much better fantasy asset than Giordano especially in a league that counts playoff stats. The Flames are doubtful to make the playoffs again this year and they will be doubtful to make the playoffs again next and likely the year after that as well.

Dobber Sports Guru

Yes I was. Thornton is a much better fantasy asset than Giordano especially in a league that counts playoff stats. The Flames are doubtful to make the playoffs again this year and they will be doubtful to make the playoffs again next and likely the year after that as well.
    I'm not sure I'd say Thornton is much better, but I think it's closer than much of this thread is giving it credit for the reasons listed above.
    Prior to this season, Thornton would've been favored here methinks.

Add the fact that D-men are often very fickle -- as great as Giordano has been this year, is he that much better than Edler was a couple years ago when he looked like the next stud d-man? What about Niskanen last year? Goligoski was gonna be a stud.

Thornton has been steady. That's underrated.

I'm a bit surprised you did this deal in 5th place when 4th gets paid. How close are you? Seems like you should be adding pieces, not taking on injured guys.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Ninja

... and the Sharks are any different? That team will be blown up very soon. If anything the Flames look more likely to make the playoffs going forward.

Anyway, what I was alluding to was your method of comparing points by a forward to a defenseman straight up... which is a very flawed way of analyzing a trade. OF COURSE a forward is going to score more points than a defenseman! Guess that means you should field an entire team of forwards... oh wait you can't!

Dobber Sports Icon

My post may have been comparing straight up points but I was actually comparing consistency. Thornton has been in the top 20 in scoring in the NHL in 9 of the past 12 seasons. He currently sits in 23rd spot in the NHL for this season. He has shown no signs of slowing down as of yet. Add to the fact that Giordano was injured (likely seriously) before the trade was made and the OP was fighting for a position in the money and the trade was even worse.

As for comparing the Sharks to the Flames in terms of playoff potential. Which core looks better for the next 3 years:

Vlasic, Burns, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, Nieto (and this does not include the Sharks two best players in Marleau and Thornton)
    or
    Giordano, Brodie, Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Hudler