Thread: Keeper thoughts? - Trades coming soon

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Keeper thoughts? - Trades coming soon

The trade deadline in my league is March 11 so it's coming up soon. I have the best record and will have the 1 seed going into the playoffs. I'm going for the win and am willing to lose a little for the future for this year but not willing to mortgage the future. Having said that, I have quite a few players who are worthy of being keepers in my league. I get to keep 8. Below are the players I own who I could see as a keeper on another team in our league (full team in signature) with each player's total points and points per game. Just for additional information in helping to analyze and evaluate the players, the #25 goalie (8 teams x 3 goalies, #25 is "best available") this year is Michael Hutchinson at 197.8 total points and 6.38 ppg, the #41 defenseman is Michael Del Zotto at 100.6 and 2.01, and the #136 forward is Jimmy Hayes at 101.7 and 1.96.

Claude Giroux 187.1/3.07
    Tyler Johnson 177.7/2.96
    Alex Ovechkin 239.4/3.86
    Corey Perry 150.7/3.21
    John Tavares 205.5/3.31
    Erik Karlsson 147.3/2.5
    Taylor Hall 98.6/2.3
    Tyler Seguin 194.5/3.54
    Carey Price 377.7/7.71
    Jonathan Quick 300.8/5.78
    Braden Holtby 348.9/6.58

Which of these eight would you keep and which would you look to package? I'm absolutely looking to package Karlsson. As you can see from above, from the way our league's points are set up, the math just doesn't warrant a high value of any defensemen. Also considering packaging some other players to improve keepers while continuing my run this year.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    8 teams, H2H daily start league
    Keep 5, max 1 goalie

Skaters - G (3 pts), A (2), PPG (1), PPA (0.5), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), HT (5), PIM (0.3), Hits (0.1), BS (0.2)
    Goalies - W (5), OTL (2), GA (-1), SV (0.2), SO (3)

F (17, Start 12): Ovechkin, Tavares, Seguin, McDavid, Couture, Toffoli, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Scheifele, Schenn, Stepan, Voracek, Wheeler, Fabri, E. Kane, Galchenyuk, Barkov, Stastny, Spezza (IR), Sheary (IR)
    D (5, Start 4): Giordano, Schultz, Markov, Phaneuf, Shattenkirk
    G (3, Start 2): Holtby, Lundqvist, Johnson

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Keeper thoughts? - Trades coming soon

Holy that's a nice list to choose from...

I'd probably go with:

Price
    Holtby
    Ovy
    Tavares
    Giroux
    Perry
    Quick
    Seguin

Definitely try to cash in on Karlsson's stellar play of late - you're right he isn't that valuable in your league.

Good luck!
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

The Great One

Call me crazy, but I think you should explore trading Perry. I think his best is behind him, but his name still carries huge weight.

On thing I want to point out is that in an 8 team league with 8 keepers, that's just 64 keepers. Your team is indeed great, but other teams likely have pretty good options for their own keepers, so don't be so sure that they'd line up in droves to take some of your guys off your hands.

Curious what Vatanen's rank is in your league - I'd think it would be pretty high. He might be a guy to dangle out there, as even though he's likely not among the top 64 to keep some team might be intrigued enough to keep him in hopes of landing a 50+ point d-man before he explodes.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I gotta say I'm not really catching your meaning about defensemen not being worth holding on to in your league. Anyone you can put in a defense slot that can outproduce anyone else in a defense slot is worth having. Karlsson is not having one of his 70+point years, but he's capable of that and could make the distance from the #100 defenseman quite a bit larger than it is right now.

That said, goalies seem to be the way to go in your league. I'd say keeping all 3 of Price, Quick and Holtby give you a huge boost on points and is probably better than anyone else can hope to have in your league at that position. You also pretty much have to keep Ovi, Perry, Tavares, Giroux and Seguin because duh. So yeah, no room for Karlsson here in a keep-8 scenario.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko