Thread: All-Inclusive Resort Question

Dobber Sports Titan

Default All-Inclusive Resort Question

So in August I’m going to Budapest and then a quick trip over to Australia to spend a few days with a buddy. Which takes 2 of my 3 weeks’ vacation I have, so I’m thinking of an all-inclusive resort to go to for my final week. I want to get in the habit of using all my vacation time at once really, I’m young and not use to even getting vacation days (worked since I was 14 and last yr was the first time I had a real vacation) so I was wondering if there was any good All-inclusive people have gone to they’d recommend. My target time is end of September or into October, and no real preference in location, but I’ve always been told Dominican is nice.

Few things to note I guess, I’m fine on flight lengths, preference on hotel is based on price (don’t want a dump, but I’m not spending $2000 on a week), I’m 24 and hoping for a adults only or a place that has minimal kids. With work and our busy time I’m not really allowed to go on vacation from June, July, and start of August, and I really had to persuade to get end of August booked off (August 13-28), so I can’t even think about places that are good in the summer.

The Great One

Default Re: All-Inclusive Resort Question

All-inclusives are a nice option; however, don't forget to read the "small print" as there can be upcharges ranging from alcohol to dining. And in many cases the quoted fee won't include various taxes and other charges on top of what you're paying. The key is to figure out what you'll really be spending, since in some cases you might not be better off.

Something else to consider - of course - is historical temperature and weather patterns in the region you'll be visiting. August can get quote hot in certain areas, and is also considered hurricane season in places like the Caribbean.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    All-inclusives are a nice option; however, don't forget to read the "small print" as there can be upcharges ranging from alcohol to dining. And in many cases the quoted fee won't include various taxes and other charges on top of what you're paying. The key is to figure out what you'll really be spending, since in some cases you might not be better off.

Something else to consider - of course - is historical temperature and weather patterns in the region you'll be visiting. August can get quote hot in certain areas, and is also considered hurricane season in places like the Caribbean.
    I've been to 7 all-inclusives and never saw any upcharges like that. But definitely check on hurricane season. But if you just miss one, as we did once, you'll practically have the entire resort to yourself, which is heavenly.

I was just at Grand Bahia Principe at Runaway Bay in Jamaica, and it had the best food (all inclusives rarely have good food down south). And internet, for $40, was awesome there. Unlimited. You can get it for free for an hour a day in the lobby, but I didn't want to restrict myself to one spot so I just paid.

Make sure you stick to 4.5 star or better. Makes a difference. Also tip heavily the main bartender you deal with, and the beer fridge guy in your room
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Make sure you stick to 4.5 star or better. Makes a difference. Also tip heavily the main bartender you deal with, and the beer fridge guy in your room
    Not to sound snooty, but that's really the best advice right there. 4 is doable depending on who does the rating, but anything under a 4-star is a big risk and not worth the coin.

...oh, and as a former bartender you should always tip the hell out of them.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Thanks guys, I figured there was a stars minimum I should stick and sounds like I can maybe push 4 (but have to read on the place to make sure it’s a true 4) but 4.5 I should be safe.

Tipping in countries outside of USA and Canada is fantastic. 1.) I’m use to tipping so when I see $5/beer I read $6/beer so I just always tip anyways (unless it’s an insult in the country and 2.) you tip in a different country you’re treated like royalty. I tipped at a carburet show (5euro for a table of 4) and told the guy to keep the beer flowing and never let us have a dry bottle. He was fantastic.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

My wife and I spent our first trip south in the Dominican and loved it. We went to Dreams Punta Cana. It was awesome. Since then, we have been south twice more (once in Mexico & again in the DR), but nothing compares to Dreams Punta Cana in our minds. It was small, and a bit farther out of the way (hour from the airport) but there was nothing to complain about.

Agree with Dobber, stick to 4.5 star places if possible. Friends of ours just returned from a 3 star place in Cuba, and they said the food was awful, and the rooms needed big time renovations. The beach and experience was fine, but it is the little things that make the vacation perfect.

Good luck in finding a great Caribbean holiday.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ninja

One thing that I think you might struggle to find is a quality adults only resort at a reasonably cheap price. My experience says that you have to pay for that premium/exclusivity. Just be realistic with your expectations and don't get hung up on adults only, unless you really don't want to be around kids. I've been to two all-inclusives, one in DR and one in Cuba. The one in DR was an adults only and we paid a premium. It was pretty nice though, 5 star and the resort didn't "share" it's restaurants with other resorts. I'm not sure I would pay for adults only again because at the all-inclusive in Cuba, I never really noticed that kids were an issue. Just my $0.02. Enjoy dude!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket