View Poll Results: Your thoughts on Duby...

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flash in the pan, he'll tank soon

3 10.34%
  • Good for this season but beyond, not so much

13 44.83%
  • Minny's guy now and for the future

13 44.83%

Thread: Dubnyk?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Dubnyk?

I realize this has possibly been beaten to a pulp on the boards here already but just to get a general sense...

Is Duby for real? Is he Minnesota's goalie of the future?

I've put a poll to this but your reasoning is appreciated.

Thank you.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Dubnyk?

I said guy now and for the future as well. I still think the Wild re-sign him to a short term (probably 2 year) deal and let him and Kuemper battle it out.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Is he UFA after this year?
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Is he UFA after this year?

Yes

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

I've said this in other threads but I think he's Minny's guy now and in the future. He's the next Brian Elliot, only I don't think Kuemper is anywhere near the prospect that Allen is.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Superstar

Dubnyk has actually been a very steady goalie for much of his career. While with the Oilers his game and numbers steadily improved until last season. Last season he fell apart early and then had to deal with being traded to 3 different teams, which takes a beating on a guy. This year he connected with goalie coach Sean Burke in Arizona and was playing so well the Coyotes had to trade him because he was screwing up the tanking plan! He's looked great in Minnesota so far.The Brian Elliott comparison is apt. Minnesota is very strong defensively and just needs average goaltending to succeed, if it gets average goaltending it will make said goalie look very good.

Still a small sample size, because of that I'll only commit to he's the guy for the rest of the season. If he keeps playing anywhere near where he has since joining the Wild I think he'll get a 2-year deal with the Wild at a friendly cap-hit, a second "show me" deal if you will. That would give him the inside track on being the starter going forward and it would be up to Kuemper to take his job. I don't see Kuemper as being a great prospect, he's got NHL potential and will show flashes of brilliance (which he did last season and at the start of this one) but doesn't have the consistency to keep a #1 job for a whole season at this point.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

There's already an entire 4 page thread on this exact topic just a few threads down...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    There's already an entire 4 page thread on this exact topic just a few threads down...
    And probably a couple threads on the 2nd page.

Dobber Sports Wizard

And there will be a couple more threads started over the next week...
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Expert

Now and for next year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Imo now and for the future. Backstrom is close to retirement, Kuemper is no competition, Harding has MS and everything, and I don't see any blue-chip goalie in their system.

Dobber Sports Expert

I'm cautiously optimistic. Coincidence It is a contract year? Just another cookie to munch on.
    I thought a lot might depend on where he ends up too. Say he And his agent decide to fight for long-term deal and Price themselves out of Mins range. Not to mention with a better contract comes more pressure.Lot to consider.

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't think the contract year has anything to do with his performance. He was on the last year of his contract last season as well and that did not go very well for him. If Dubnyk and his agent have a clue they will sign whatever offer that Minnesota gives him in the off-season. Minnesota is the perfect place for him to play since they are one of the best defensive teams in the NHL. If Dubnyk went anywhere else, his numbers would sky rocket.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If Dubie continues his strong performance and leads Minny through a respectable playoff push, I don't see how they can possibly not sign him to a multi-year contract.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I don't think the contract year has anything to do with his performance. He was on the last year of his contract last season as well and that did not go very well for him. If Dubnyk and his agent have a clue they will sign whatever offer that Minnesota gives him in the off-season. Minnesota is the perfect place for him to play since they are one of the best defensive teams in the NHL. If Dubnyk went anywhere else, his numbers would sky rocket.
    Don't get your hopes up that he'll just take Minnys offer. Money and security are the top 2 priorities with 99% of atheletes priority list.