Thread: Big Seguin Trade

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Big Seguin Trade

A fellow manager in my league below has received an offer and it's pretty close. I have my opinion, but I'm curious to see what the community thinks, make sure I'm not missing anything.

Give:
    Seguin/Ekblad/Pavelec

Get:
    Simmonds/Giordano/Zetterberg/Bishop/1st

- The 1st is likely 4 to 8 prospect pick, so no shot at McDavid or Eichel.
    - Gaustad is his weakest link, but he's hurting for FOW so he needs him. Moving Seguin doesn't help this. Ennis would be the other potential drop.
    - He currently owns Hiller, Elliot/Allen and Mrazek in net, so he's not exactly hurting there.
    - Seguin is clearly the best player in the deal and he also owns Benn.
    - He's coming off a rebuild and has a relatively young strong team. He'll make the playoffs this year and have a shot at a title, but although he can keep up with the top three on a given week, lacks the consistency to be a true top contender in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Big Seguin Trade

Simple break down.

Seguin is quite simly the best forward in the deal, Giordano the best D (For the time being) and Bishop without question the best Goalie.

Seguin if better than Simmonds and is better than zetts, however when pitted against them both and with those scoring cats, the scale seems to balance, perhaps tipping toward Simmonds Gio side. So...

Seguin < the sum of Simmonds and Zetterberg
    Edblad < Giordano this year... maybe ekblad proves more valuable in a few years, but I gotta give it to Giordano this year and over the next 2 or 3 from my perspective.
    Pavelec << Bishop plus a 1st rounder (considering who you can get from 4 - 8... this is a no brainer.

I hate the idea of giving up Seguin, but when the return is essentially Zetterberg (still a few more years of elite level production), Simmonds, Bishop and a 1st... I feel that's a very respectable return and may help to balance the inconsistency you claim his team currently has.

THere's my take.

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with Havana's assessment but I would still take the Seguin side by a mile here and if I'm the Seguin owner there's no way I consider this trade in a keeper - though I probably take it in a one year league. Seguin is an elite piece at this point (top 5-10 skater for years to come IMO) and those sort of pieces require an overpayment and/or another top 10-15 piece coming back. Girodano is having a great year but I still don't think he's ultimately a top 5 dman going forward and I'd be weary of moving Ekblad, who looks like he could be something special. Simmonds a Zetterberg are nice pieces too but neither of them comes close to Seguin and you have to drop a player to make room for one of them. Bishop is no doubt better than Pavs but he's still basically just Jimmy Howard 2.0, a good goalie who tends to get injured and who happens to be fortunate enough to play on a very good team. Like Howard, Bishop also has a young stud waiting in the wings and ready to usurp him. I can see winning this trade this year, maybe next but seriously regretting it every season thereafter.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Initiate

Bold move by the Seguin owner. the deal should help him compete come playoff time and maybe pull out the win.

Long term he probably loses but that depends on what he can get in return for Zetts and if Bishop maintains the starting gig.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Padawan

If you're not either side of the trade just wondering what the purpose of the thread is...are you thinking it's so lopsided that it's veto worthy?!?!

Is the value even? Yes, on paper it probably is. Do I think he could get a lot more for Seguin? Yes I do. Is it veto worthy? Not at all. Would I give that package to get Seguin? Yes. Would I give Seguin to get that package? Hell no.

A couple years ago I traded Jeff Carter and Zetterberg to a contender for Ovie, and this seems like it's sorta the same thing.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by junyab View Post
    If you're not either side of the trade just wondering what the purpose of the thread is...are you thinking it's so lopsided that it's veto worthy?!?!

Is the value even? Yes, on paper it probably is. Do I think he could get a lot more for Seguin? Yes I do. Is it veto worthy? Not at all. Would I give that package to get Seguin? Yes. Would I give Seguin to get that package? Hell no.

A couple years ago I traded Jeff Carter and Zetterberg to a contender for Ovie, and this seems like it's sorta the same thing.
    No no, we bounce ideas off each other now and again, trade offers, potential offers, just hockey talk. You'll see my team in my sig, I don't own any of those players. Because of this we rarely consummate any deals together, and if/when we do, they are pretty much always win/win as we don't want to take advantage of the other, which is how I think more people should try and approach the game.

Anyhow, I had a hard time with this one because I feel it's pretty close. I gave my take but wanted some outside perspective as kind of a price check, make sure my thoughts are relatively grounded and maybe give him a little more info to help him make a decision.