Thread: Why Ovechkin wanted to be the last pick in the draft

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Why Ovechkin wanted to be the last pick in the draft

Although I think it's great he wanted to win the car so he could donate it to charity, doesn't the guy make enough money that he could simply go out and buy a Honda himself and donate it???

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...r-for-charity/

Alex Ovechkin was lobbying hard to become the last pick in the NHL all-star draft on Friday in hopes of winning a new car. And now we know why.

Ovehckin planned on donating the wheels to a cause close to his heart, and Honda granted him his wish on Sunday by giving him a key to a new car. The Capitals star will donate the car to the Washington Ice Dogs, a local hockey program for children and young adults with physical and developmental disabilities.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Default Re: Why Ovechkin wanted to be the last pick in the draft

Maybe his plan was to do both?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

I read this yesterday and felt bad about chirping him, but then quickly thought of the same thing. He could just buy one and donate it. Maybe there’s some tax/donating laws with cars no one really knows about that prevented him from buying the car, then selling it off (for $1) to the charity. I know getting a car from my uncle was tough even when I was buying it.

Like if he won the car, he would have just put it in the charities name outright, instead of buying a car from the dealer (in his name) then giving it to the charity. Like 1st option would have cost $0, second option would have cost $20G (for the car) + taxes + selling taxes and what not, causing the donation of an accord to cost $40?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I read this yesterday and felt bad about chirping him, but then quickly thought of the same thing. He could just buy one and donate it. Maybe there’s some tax/donating laws with cars no one really knows about that prevented him from buying the car, then selling it off (for $1) to the charity. I know getting a car from my uncle was tough even when I was buying it.

Like if he won the car, he would have just put it in the charities name outright, instead of buying a car from the dealer (in his name) then giving it to the charity. Like 1st option would have cost $0, second option would have cost $20G (for the car) + taxes + selling taxes and what not, causing the donation of an accord to cost $40?
    Ya, hard to say what the reasoning is as to why he seemed like he "needed" to win the car instead of simply dealing with it himself outside the ASG.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

I think he wants to have it both ways by getting a free car and spending his cash on beer.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Although I think it's great he wanted to win the car so he could donate it to charity, doesn't the guy make enough money that he could simply go out and buy a Honda himself and donate it???
    I don't think that's the point though. Honda had already decided to give away two cars, so no matter what, those cars were going to be given to a pair of players. Instead of those cars ultimately being given by the players to a member of their family (or perhaps just sold outright), I don't see the harm in lobbying to donate a car to a worthy cause.
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by chillyh View Post
    I don't think that's the point though. Honda had already decided to give away two cars, so no matter what, those cars were going to be given to a pair of players. Instead of those cars ultimately being given by the players to a member of their family (or perhaps just sold outright), I don't see the harm in lobbying to donate a car to a worthy cause.
    Yeah, Ovi getting the car would have been better than RNH getting it in the end, but if Honda didn’t give Ovi a car on Sunday to give to the charity, do you think he would have bought one himself for the charity? Ovi might have.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

I think taxes are the big thing. I remember reading something on Oprah's giveaways a few years back. She got cars for free, and gave them away to audience members. But she said it was a contest, not a gift. If it's a contest, the winner pays taxes. If it's a gift, I'm not sure who pays the taxes.

So it could be the same thing here.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Maybe using the car, the story gets more attention form the media, and it gives some spotlight for the association he's donating the car. I'm maybe, probably, naive to think that, but let's say I prefer to think that way..

Dobber Sports Newbie

Dobber Sports Pro

Seen this tweet too which is a good point.

People being upset that Ovechkin got Honda to donate a car instead of buying it himself should realize Ovi makes $10M/year, Honda $119B
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    Seen this tweet too which is a good point.

People being upset that Ovechkin got Honda to donate a car instead of buying it himself should realize Ovi makes $10M/year, Honda $119B
    Haha great point! I get annoyed when people criticize stars who they think are not doing enough for charity, "he bought them a car, why not two? he bought two, why not five?" etc. etc.

I think this whole thing is getting over analyzed. Ovechkin knew that the last pick got a car and he also happens to be an outgoing guy. He figured he'd lobby for the last pick so that he could win the car, which he wanted to donate to charity. He didn't make a big deal about his plan because it's hard to guilt trip the captains like that. I see why the captains picked him 3rd last too, to rib him was funny. All of it was in good fun (it's funny because we all know Ovy is loaded and isn't going to drive a Honda around Washington). Then when Ovy doesn't win any car he leaks the story to Honda who gets to come riding in on a white horse and give him an additional car to give to charity, great press for Honda, great press for Ovy, charity gets a car, everybody wins!

He could have bought them a car if Honda didn't come through without breaking a sweat, but as the quoted tweet points out so could Honda!
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Stud

Really guys? He wanted to give something that none of the other millionaire hockey players needed to a charity, and all people do is question his motives? I personally am not even close to being able to gift a brand new car to charity so I'm just going to appreciate Ovie for the nice guy he is.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Rest assured if there was a Vespa on the line, Ovechkin would have been picked last for sure...and then donated it to a certain "douchey" buddy!

Any truth to the rumour that Honda had to install a child seat on the driver's side for RNH's car?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket