• Side B: Giordano + Strome

2 50.00%

Thread: Trade: let's compare Subban and Giordano

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Trade: let's compare Subban and Giordano

In my keeper league, I've been proposed the following trade:

His Giordano + Ryan Strome
    For my PK Subban + Lucic.

Both Giordano and Strome would be keepers on my team. I am not in a realistic position to make a push in the playoffs this year, so I'm looking at this from a keeper prospective. I'm not too excited about moving Subban, but I like Strome. I've spent quite a bit of time looking into advanced stats, and I have some concern over both Giordano's and Strome's high on ice shooting %. Even so, I can't come to a decision here.

I have a week spot for valuing players with high upside (eg Yakupov, Kuznetsov, Gibson), and I can't help but feel buddy is trying to take advantage by saying Strome isn't any different from breakout players like Kucherov or Forsberg or Tank.

My league counts G,A,PPP,+/-,Shots,Hits,Blocks (14 Teams), Giordano is currently outproducing Subban by a long shot, and was actually the best multi-cat performer in the entire league around the 20 game mark this year. But can he be expected to remain elite from this point onward in his career? Is he really much different from Subban?

And is Strome going to be the real deal?

I'm looking for a gut instinct on this one.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: Trade: let's compare Subban and Giordano

You are selling low on Lucic and Subban, while buying high on an aging Giordano. When Subban finally puts it all together he will have 6 or more seasons of multi-cat monsterdom, and will easily outpace Giordano going forward. I doubt Lucic will continue to underproduced for long, but I guess it's possible.

Even though I totally buy into the "Giroux-lite" thinking on Strome, I would not touch this particular deal. He seems like a 70 point player given a couple more years who will contribute a bunch of hits too, but I don't think you're getting enough value in this deal.

Booth, I'm not really sure I would be selling low on Subban. He has 31 points, about where I would have expected him to be. His on-ice team shooting% is actually 10.5%, which is rather high. Definitely selling low on Lucic though, although he has limited value. In our league without PIM's, he's essentially an elite hitter.

Bump - Anybody else have an opinion?

I...am your father.

I expect Subban to have staying power as an elite Top 5 Dman under your rules. Giordano I don't have that expectation. Also, Strome is just starting. So much more to come for that guy. If this move will give you the win, then you have to do it. Take the wins when you can. But otherwise, no way I trade Subban for a player have the season of his life.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Booth, I'm not really sure I would be selling low on Subban. He has 31 points, about where I would have expected him to be. His on-ice team shooting% is actually 10.5%, which is rather high. Definitely selling low on Lucic though, although he has limited value. In our league without PIM's, he's essentially an elite hitter.
    You are selling low, because his PP production is about half of what you can expect. If his PP production were more on his average PP production, he'd be pacing for well over 60 points.