Thread: What is the difference between Left Wing Lock and Frozen Pool?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default What is the difference between Left Wing Lock and Frozen Pool?

A guy in my league told me that Frozen Pool stole their ideas from Left Wing Lock and now they charge for it (which seems really douchey to me).
    He also said that Frozen Pool is often not accurate with their numbers, is that true? I tried Frozen Pool years ago but had some trouble with the interface, but maybe it has been fixed?

Who has used both extensively and can give an impartial comparison?
    14 Team H2H League, Daily Sets, Keep 12
    Rosters: 3C/3LW/3RW/6D/2G/6BN
    Skater Cats: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,Hit,Blk
    Goalie Cats: W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C- Backstrom,Pavelski,Henrique
    LW- Marleau,Ladd,Hartnell
    RW- Backes,Williams,Doan
    D- Yandle,Goligoski,Greene,Bieksa,Demers,Barrie
    G- Hiller,Holtby
    BN- Frolik,Faulk,Elias,Hanzal,Pouliot,Montoya
    FARM- Teravainen, Horvat, Girgensons, Jones, Monahan, Lindholm, Nelson, Zatkoff

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: What is the difference between Left Wing Lock and Frozen Pool?

I use Left wing lock exclusively to find out recent line combinations. Easier to access and less glitches.
    Frozen Pool though is good if you're looking at line production.

Dobber Sports Ace

As far as I know, it is the opposite... Frozen Pool had everything going first, and no they don't charge for anything. Frozen Pool also has way more information.

The only thing I like a better about LWL is their color scheme, but there is a lot more info here than here. Also, a lot more options here.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    As far as I know, it is the opposite... Frozen Pool had everything going first, and no they don't charge for anything. Frozen Pool also has way more information.

The only thing I like a better about LWL is their color scheme, but there is a lot more info here than here. Also, a lot more options here.
    Oh has it always been a dobberhockey product? I thought it was it's own website but I have not looked at it in quite awhile. Their numbers don't jive at all either, compare the two of them on any given player. I chose Patrick Kane for the full season/even strength and I get this discrepency which us huge:

LWL - Kane - Richards - Versteeg (8.4%)
    FP - Kane - Richards - Versteeg (20.98%)

It would be nice to know which was accurate and which was not

RW- Backes,Williams,Doan
    G- Hiller,Holtby

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by grudgemaster View Post
    A guy in my league told me that Frozen Pool stole their ideas from Left Wing Lock and now they charge for it (which seems really douchey to me).
    He also said that Frozen Pool is often not accurate with their numbers, is that true? I tried Frozen Pool years ago but had some trouble with the interface, but maybe it has been fixed?

Frozen Pool started about eight years ago. Then charged for it after having it free for three years.

Then Left Wing Lock took the idea and put it out for free, which killed Frozen Pool sales. Left Wing Lock also took Goalie Post's idea of the Goalie grid and made it free as well.

Frozen Pool is now free, but has to recover the traffic lost. Goalie Post is now free as well. This is a great example of capitalism working - LWL made these tools free and forced both FP and GP to become free.

That said, Frozen Pool is the original and better option. Click the Player Research tab at the top of this page and take a look at the player pages. Everything you need for fantasy hockey.

I have to admit, I'm startled by the statement that Left Wing Lock had it first. It did not. Not by a long shot. Hopefully people don't think FP stole this idea.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Oh has it always been a dobberhockey product? I thought it was it's own website but I have not looked at it in quite awhile. Their numbers don't jive at all either, compare the two of them on any given player. I chose Patrick Kane for the full season/even strength and I get this discrepency which us huge:

This is probably a case of "ES vs. PP vs. SH". Check the settings to be sure. It also could be different time windows

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I have to admit, I'm startled by the statement that Left Wing Lock had it first. It did not. Not by a long shot. Hopefully people don't think FP stole this idea.
    It says they started 9 years ago so it would seem that they did have it first. It could be they weren't popular when they started and didn't show up on Google searches and stuff? I'm pretty sure I heard of FP before I heard of LWL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This is probably a case of "ES vs. PP vs. SH". Check the settings to be sure. It also could be different time windows
    Nope they were both set to ES for the same time period (full season). Go ahead and try it for yourself, pick a player from this season and compare the results from each one.

Also, why does FP have guys like Afinogenov and Brad May in the list? Those guys haven't played in 5 years, maybe that's why the numbers are off?

RW- Backes,Williams,Doan
    G- Hiller,Holtby

Dobber Sports Stud

LWL is mainly used for goalie starts and frequency of teammates. I use it almost exclusively for what their game day lineups are because they get info from morning skates, etc, to make conclusions. I like that.

They also have articles every week ...or every 2 weeks on goalies/skaters that are playing at least 1 SD away from their average performance, those are interesting reads but shouldn't be taken at face value.
    ------------OLD------------
    15 Team Yahoo Rotisserie (1YR)
    Max Games Played
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 4BN
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux, Stastny, Fisher
    LW: Benn, Hall, Lucic, Hartnell
    RW: Stamkos, Hossa, Stafford
    D: Karlsson, Byfuglien, Brodie, Borowiecki, Pouliot
    G: Elliott, Allen, Dubnyk, Stalock
    IR: P. Kane

Notable Trades:
    Khudobin -> Hartnell (Oct 12)
    Ehrhoff -> Lupul (Nov 12)
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)
    Forsberg, Kucherov, Stalock -> Stamkos (Dec 20)
    Varlamov -> Lucic (Jan 20)
    E. Staal -> Byfuglien (Jan 20)
    Halak, Perreault -> Benn (Feb 10)

Dobber Sports Guru

Also, why does FP have guys like Afinogenov and Brad May in the list? Those guys haven't played in 5 years, maybe that's why the numbers are off?
    You can look up stats on Frozen Pool as far back as 2007-08 season. So if you wanted, you could look up May and Afinogenov back then, so they would need to still be in the system.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Guru

I think I know. When you look at Frozen Pool, you're looking up Patrick Kane specifically. So the numbers are based on just when Kane is on the ice. So pretty much, 20.98 per cent of the time when Kane is on the ice, it's even strength with Richards and Versteeg. (Link)

In LWL, you're looking it up by team, and then by specifics (ie, just even strength). So out of all the possible even strength line combos for the Hawks, Kane-Richards-Versteeg is on 8.4 per cent of the time. (Link)

There's a big difference between the two. One is based just on Kane, the other is all Blackhawks.

If you use Frozen Pool, you can look up just even strength for the Hawks (look it up here). You'll see Frozen Pool's even strength numbers to be pretty close to LWL.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    You can look up stats on Frozen Pool as far back as 2007-08 season. So if you wanted, you could look up May and Afinogenov back then, so they would need to still be in the system.
    Oh OK that makes sense. But why do they show up when I have the year set to be 2014-2015 Regular?
    That's the part I am not understanding and wondering if that is why the numbers don't seem right? Maybe it is factoring in old seasons or players somehow?

RW- Backes,Williams,Doan
    G- Hiller,Holtby

Dobber Sports Guru

Oh OK that makes sense. But why do they show up when I have the year set to be 2014-2015 Regular?
    I think it's because the pull down menus doesn't change. You can set it up for 2010-11, and choose Nathan MacKinnon for example. You don't get anything on the page when it comes up however.

I...am your father.

It says they started 9 years ago so it would seem that they did have it first. It could be they weren't popular when they started and didn't show up on Google searches and stuff? I'm pretty sure I heard of FP before I heard of LWL.
    The LWL site started nine years ago, but LWL didn't add line combos until I charged for them. Trust me, I know. Jason (the FP creator) was furious when they did that. Whey they added line combos, we had already had them for three years.

Nope they were both set to ES for the same time period (full season). Go ahead and try it for yourself, pick a player from this season and compare the results from each one.

It would be for the area you're looking at then. Either % of team line combos if you're looking at team, or % of Kane's line combos this season if you're looking at Kane, etc.

All the players are in there for the other years, yes. But it's easy to navigate. Click the box and "Kan" and it instantly goes to Kane. Each player profile also has a link to team stats - in there you will find cap hit, etc, as well as quick links to other players.