Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Time wasted on Facebook

The Great One

Default Re: Time wasted on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    What does it offer that other apps don't? I converse via in-person discussions, phone, emails skype and texts. I share photos via same. If I need a recipe I look it up. What exactly does facebook offer me that I do not already have?

facebook is to relationships as diet pills are to exercise. Minimal effort w/superficial results. That's it.

I'm not here trying to convince you to change your opinion. Just telling you why I don't use it.
    It's funny because I see you use twitter. You use it as mostly a football tool. That's great and perfectly fine as it fits your needs and you use it for what you want. However, some would say Twitter is a chatty-cathy meeting place.

The Great One

If I need a recipe I look it up.
    Just a quick example. Say you see a recipe someone posted (maybe a chef you wanted to follow on facebook) and you say "wow that looks great I'll try that one". You would have never known about the recipe if you didn't follow that chef. You wouldnt be able to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    It's funny because I see you use twitter. You use it as mostly a football tool. That's great and perfectly fine as it fits your needs and you use it for what you want. However, some would say Twitter is a chatty-cathy meeting place.
    Fair enough. But I only got the account when I started writing for the football side - mostly to stay current with the NFL scouts I follow. And quite frankly I don't not use it nearly enough as I should as a writer.

Thanks for reminding me
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Just a quick example. Say you see a recipe someone posted (maybe a chef you wanted to follow on facebook) and you say "wow that looks great I'll try that one". You would have never known about the recipe if you didn't follow that chef. You wouldnt be able to look it up.

Not to get off topic (sorry) I highly recommend the Weber Grills app. That's a handy-dandy thing to have on your phone.
    @SmittysRant

I...am your father.

I see facebook as good value usage for small biz purposes. I totally get that. My tattoo guy has a facebook page, displaying his latest creations, news and events, promotional events etc...

I get that.
    Yes for sure. Traffic to my site, new traffic, used to rely heavily on Google. But now it's more on Social Media. If you compared the two from two years ago, it was probably 90-10 for Google. Today it's 60-40 for Social Media (Twitter and Facebook).

And this is reflected in my own habits. I used to check news sites three times per day. Now I don't even check every day - I actually get my news on Facebook and Twitter, what is trending and what people are sharing. So I can totally see this shift taking place, because I"m part of that shift!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I am on facebook anywhere from 5 to 10 times a day, sometimes for a minute and sometimes for 15. Not a moment of it is wasted. It is a very important tool in the development work I do with the poor and persons with disabilities here in Cambodia - take it away and I would be screwed for time because the information I gain, the information I share and the contacts I am able to maintain would, by any other means, take much, much more time to accomplish the same result. It's all in how you use it. And yes, I also am in more frequent contact with friends and family because of facebook - in a healthy way and I think that is a good thing.

I don't use TV and haven't for 30 years - now let's talk about an activity that is a non-interactive brainsucker - oh, sorry, I know - you just watch the Discovery Channel.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think Shoeless nailed it for me. Facebook is simply a tool. You can choose whether you have this particular tool in your toolbox and how often you use it.

You're not missing much by not watching TV, it's flooded with reality shows and 500 of the channels carry the same crappy shows. Ugh, very little imagination compared to the number of channels.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

Not to get off topic (sorry) I highly recommend the Weber Grills app. That's a handy-dandy thing to have on your phone.
    Red background with BBQ as the logo? $5.79. Is that the one?
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I don't use TV and haven't for 30 years - now let's talk about an activity that is a non-interactive brainsucker - oh, sorry, I know - you just watch the Discovery Channel.
    I canceled TV in November. Haven't missed it. But the big surprise - my girls haven't missed it either. They'll occasionally watch something via the flash drive, some kids show. But they hardly watch TV anymore now that they can't just flip it on. Surprising how little importance TV is now. And I stream Game Center through the lap top so I still get hockey.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    Red background with BBQ as the logo? $5.79. Is that the one?
    Yepper. That is the one. I get great ideas from it and it's handy to have in the market when shopping for ingredients. I have a mind like a sieve, and no patience to make grocery lists.

I would LOVE to cancel my TV and just stream movies, hockey and football from my apple tv device. My wife, however....[sigh]...have I mentioned how much I love her??
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I think Shoeless nailed it for me. Facebook is simply a tool. You can choose whether you have this particular tool in your toolbox and how often you use it.

You're not missing much by not watching TV, it's flooded with reality shows and 500 of the channels carry the same crappy shows. Ugh, very little imagination compared to the number of channels.
    I think you might add and how you use it, Comish. There are filters and privacy tools to choose from that help you customize what facebook presents to you.

Yeah, I was pretty sure I wasn't missing much with TV gone. It was a conscious choice to live my life, rather than watch a simulation of someone's life. The net really gives us a bounty of amazing media resources and when filtered with adblock +, a much less invasive learning and entertainment experience.

Dobber Sports Master

Proud to say, zero.

This site, however.....
    I refuse to fully commit to the 21st century and join Facebook. My buddies set up an account so I could stay in touch with them, and know when they were going golfing, but besides the initial 20 minutes, I haven't been back. My wife fills me in on what she thinks I need to know from Facebook.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I canceled TV in November. Haven't missed it. But the big surprise - my girls haven't missed it either. They'll occasionally watch something via the flash drive, some kids show. But they hardly watch TV anymore now that they can't just flip it on. Surprising how little importance TV is now. And I stream Game Center through the lap top so I still get hockey.
    I'd seriously conisdering killing my cable too if it weren't for sports.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I want to ditch it eventually. There really isn't much left other than sports that I watch, and come April when Justified wraps for good I'll be down to just Top Gear UK and GoT. As it is I can't justify the outrageous cost to add HBO to my Directv package so I just get GoT on DVD. I'm (im)patiently waiting for season 4 to be released so I can get on with it. It does suck having to wait almost an entire calendar year to catch the past season but Direct won't let me add HBO to my current package, I have to move up to the top tier package to get it, and that's roughly another $100+ a month for only one channel that I would watch for 10 weeks a year and bunch of others I would almost never watch.

For now if it wasn't for the fact that I'm trying to sell this old barn of a house I would ditch TV. This place is a nightmare with RF interference so I would have to hardwire the whole house to stream Game Center or any shows off my desktop to the TV in the living room, which is on the opposite end of the house. Since I'm wanting out of here I'm not going to the hassle of setting up a hardwired internet connection in every room. Once I get out of here and move south I want to build my own much smaller house or get one that is newer and already setup for broadband.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Master

We have certainly considered killing the TV, but I love my sports, especially hockey, and I figure by the time I pay my NHL GameCenter bill + the extra dollars not having my cable bundled with the Internet will cost, I might as well keep the TV for a little bit longer. I seriously think cable subscriptions have got to soon start dropping their prices if they want to stay competitive with Netflix and streaming sites.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy