Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Time wasted on Facebook

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Time wasted on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    To be fair, I don't view time on this site as a "waste" relative to facebook.
    Oh... neither do I.
    People use the term "wasted" to capture the fact that we aren't real-world-upvaluing ourselves with this time expenditure.
    I waste time watching TV too.
    It's still enjoyable thing to do... I need it to balance the hard-working I do away from here/TV.

But if you are doing something you enjoy... that's happiness.
    That's why we do it.

On a scale of 1/10... I enjoy the Dobber forums a 10... watching TV a 8... Facebook a 7...
    All good stuff.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I agree Guru!!!
    It's a lot faster to share stories/pictures with family & close friends using Facebook than by mass e-mail (or other means).
    There's really some good ways to use it.

I argue about this with my mom who thinks our generation is ridiculous for "sharing everything" with "everyone"... and I have to tell her how many people do NOT use it wisely.
    But totally agree - it can be a really good tool for people that use it wisely.

(Unf, most people have just used it as a general 'everybody I know' collector and they waste their time sifting through what basically amounts to junkmail... thousands of "MMMM, having a great coffee" posts or... "Can't believe Obama just did this" / "Repulicans are being idiots again" posts... I'm constantly telling my wife to just unfriend people that aren't adding any value. But she doesn't it... she likes some of the drama/opinionated stuff that people have to say. It can be like getting sucked in by one of those talk shows - Jerry Springer: PeopleYouKnow Edition)
    Pretty much agree with everything you said.

However, instead of unfriending a friend/relative who posts ridiculous things like "Look at these cool salt shakers!!" there is an option to just hide their upcoming posts from your timeline.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Pretty much agree with everything you said.

However, instead of unfriending a friend/relative who posts ridiculous things like "Look at these cool salt shakers!!" there is an option to just hide their upcoming posts from your timeline.
    Awesome!
    I wonder if I can do that without my wife noticing!
    LOL.
    I don't want to get a "ban" from her on viewing her news feed! (I do love it so!)

Dobber Sports Genius

Zero for me as well.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Star

I couldn't agree more with Guru. I use Facebook sparingly, but it does let me keep in touch with people that I probably wouldn't keep in touch with if not for its existence. I also reconnected with some people from my past when Facebook went mainstream. To me, there is value in that.

On a related note, if you think about it, are you truly "wasting your time" if you spend a lot of time on Facebook? If you are enjoying yourself and you get entertainment out of Facebook, then why do people consider that wasteful? The same can be said about just about anything else as well. Do you enjoy watching TV? Playing video games? Reading? Playing chess? Just do it, if you enjoy it. Life is too short to be doing things that you don't enjoy. Personally, I don't let other people tell me what I should or should not be doing. If something you do give you pleasure and enjoyment, I don't see it as something that is being wasteful.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Proud to say, zero.

This site, however.....
    Ditto.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Since January 1, 2007 I've spent 20 days, 5 hours, and 38 minutes on Facebook apparently. I set my average at 10 minutes, I very rarely spend more than that on the site. I'm not a big poster, mostly I just go on to check if anyone has sent me a message or tagged me in a post and if I don't have anything from anyone I log off.

I also don't understand the pride some people feel in not using Facebook. It's an easy way to keep in touch with people you don't see on a regular basis.....good way to share photos or invites with a lot of people at once. If people don't want to use it that's no problem, it's just weird that people are like so damn happy about not using it haha.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

The Great One

They feel like it's cool that they are going against what everyone else is into.

Absurd.

They feel like it's cool that they are going against what everyone else is into.

Absurd.
    Um. No.

I don't use it because I have no need to be seen, or to advertise my daily doings. Anyone who needs to get at me knows where to find me. As far as my out of town family? We call each other, and they send me pictures which I then frame and place in various locales throughout my house/ office. To me Facebook is some chatty-cathy meeting place for which I have no desire to be a part of...no more no less.

I am too old to worry about looking cool.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Time spent on facebook is time spent doing one of the following:
    - seeing annoying posts that make you angry or irritated
    At times, I think this is the exact reason some folks frequent these forums!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

The Great One

To me Facebook is some chatty-cathy meeting place for which I have no desire to be a part of...no more no less.
    And this is where you are wrong.

To you facebook might be some "chatty-cathy meeting place" but it's not how everyone uses it and not how you have to use it! I still have no idea why you are proud to never have used facebook. Seems silly. If you never experienced it why assume? You might, just might, find a use out of it. But nah, seems like your decision is already made up.

And this is where you are wrong.

To you facebook might be some "chatty-cathy meeting place" but it's not how everyone uses it and not how you have to use it! I still have no idea why you are proud to never have used facebook. Seems silly. If you never experienced it why assume? You might, just might, find a use out of it. But nah, seems like your decision is already made up.
    What does it offer that other apps don't? I converse via in-person discussions, phone, emails skype and texts. I share photos via same. If I need a recipe I look it up. What exactly does facebook offer me that I do not already have?

facebook is to relationships as diet pills are to exercise. Minimal effort w/superficial results. That's it.

I'm not here trying to convince you to change your opinion. Just telling you why I don't use it.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

What does it offer that other apps don't? I converse via in-person discussions, phone, emails skype and texts. I share photos via same. If I need a recipe I look it up. What exactly does facebook offer me that I do not already have?

facebook is to relationships as diet pills are to exercise. Minimal effort w/superficial results. That's it.

I'm not here trying to convince you to change your opinion. Just telling you why I don't use it.
    I agree. Most stuff you see is from people you don't even care about. The people you need and want to talk to are available through other methods. Facebook isn't the worst, it's a time waster, but I don't need to connect with people (non-relatives) I haven't seen in ages, because they aren't really important anymore.

I...am your father.

My number would be misleading, because when I do go on Facebook I tend to leave that tab open all day but really I'm surfing 10 other tabs.

I get most of my "awesome videos" and cool news stories on Facebook. It's changed from just checking in with your friends
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    My number would be misleading, because when I do go on Facebook I tend to leave that tab open all day but really I'm surfing 10 other tabs.

I get most of my "awesome videos" and cool news stories on Facebook. It's changed from just checking in with your friends
    I see facebook as good value usage for small biz purposes. I totally get that. My tattoo guy has a facebook page, displaying his latest creations, news and events, promotional events etc...

I get that.
    @SmittysRant