Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones enters rehab after failing drug test

Dobber Sports Star

Default Jon Jones enters rehab after failing drug test

Apparently, the drug in question is cocaine. Since Benzoylecgonine isn't on the banned substance list, Jones may escape any form of discipline.

http://www.tsn.ca/ufc-says-light-hea...-test-1.176416

Honestly, it is goofy to me. Nick Diaz gets suspended for a year because of failing a test for marijuana, but cocaine is OK? Did I miss something here? That is absurd.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Jon Jones enters rehab after failing drug test

He was caught with a drug that metabolizes cocaine in your system I do believe. So he’d do coke, then this drug after his high so it would get out of his system ASAP so he wasn’t caught on drug tests. But he did it too close to a test so the metabolizing agent was still in his system. I don’t know the exact lengths, but it would be co in your system for 10days, this drug was in your system for 5 days kinda thing.

He checked himself into rehab for cocaine addiction, but I don’t think a league can suspend you for checking yourself in anywhere. They didn’t catch him with cocaine in his system, so they can only suspend him for however long this drug suspension is considered.

To me tho, this drug in his system plus the fact he checked himself into rehab for cocaine addiction would merit (to me) a cocaine level suspension. But if he is suspended a yr, he’ll be in rehab 6 months, then train for 6, and pick up a last minute fight at the end of his 1yr. UFC is too corrupt and money driven now it’s getting close to boxing status.

This is why he wasnt suspended:
    "Jones (21-1) was tested by the Nevada Athletic Commission last month heading into his title defence against Cormier at UFC 182 in Las Vegas. Benzoylecgonine is not banned by World Anti-Doping Agency guidelines for out-of-competition use, so Jones wasn't penalized or suspended before he defeated Cormier by unanimous decision."

Dobber Sports Titan

Everything I said was untrue haha. It’s just a chemical found after your liver processes coke, but the chemical is found in topical muscle pain killers, which is why it’s not illegal. That’s why he wasn’t suspended I guess.

Administrator

I think it's a positive step that he checked into rehab because I don't think anything about the failed test forced him to do it.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

This ESPN article explains it well. Pretty much the Nevada drug policy in sports (I think that’s who’s determining this) says cocaine is not illegal drug (to them) when used up to 12hrs before the competition. His drug test was a month before that he was “caught” with an after-chemical of cocaine (which is not illegal in the sport in any state), but he was tested like hrs before his fight, and those results have not been released yet. If he still tests positive on that test, that’s where suspensions are done.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=mma&id=21678&src=desktop&rand=re f~{%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FGLroWNSnQy%2 2}

That Benzoylecgonine stays in your system for as short as 8hrs (I think), so if someone is lucky they can do cocaine in the morning, and be “legal” to fight that night.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I find recreational drug use prohibitions in these sports incredibly odd. It's not like you need these guys to be good role models while they beat the crap out of each other.

Dobber Sports Titan

If I was Dana White and I had Jon Jones arrested for cocaine possession, I’d very upset in losing one of my title holders to a prison sentence. Only reason, I wouldn’t say these guys are great role models. But Jon Jones’s story is very “inspirational”. Went from living on his GF coach with no money, saw UFC on TV and said, “I can do that” to having the belt. Him also stopping the mugger hours before his fight outside the arena/stadium was a good story too. But if I was a parent, I wouldn’t be telling my kids to grow up like those guys.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

From an 'I can't afford my asset to disappear and lose me money' perspective you make total sense. I didn't consider that. I don't think Dana White sees these guys as people, but merely tools to make him money, so anything that might threaten that (a drug sentence) is an issue.

Dobber Sports Titan

The first free UFC on Fox they had, the main event lasted like 1minute, and Dana White was SO mad in the following interviews. He was saying how guys need to come in and prepare more or something like that. The knock out was ridiculous tho, he was just mad because the longer the fights go, the more commercials run, the more money he makes. Dudes about money, that’s it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Dudes about money, that’s it.
    Isn't that the point of being in any business though?

Dobber Sports Titan

Yes, but you don’t see Bettman saying how the Rangers should have been more prepared for the Kings so they could have pushed it to game 7. The best era for the UFC was when it was 1UFC every like 40days, and had like 3-4great fights instead of the 1 fight with what seems to be former prelim talent fighting on paperview what they have now.

He was upset when GSP left for health reasons when he said he couldn’t sleep at night anymore. He was upset when the Diaz brother retired after the fight because of poor judging. GSP has watered down the UFC to a point where no one cares anymore. They need to get back to the UFC once a month and have them stacked. My opinion.

I’d go to a bar and watch all the fights and spend a lot of money on that, or rent it at my house. On Saturdays fight we walked into a bar for the jon jones fight, and ordered a pitcher. Then left when the fight was done. I’ll never order it on paperview again if I’m only interested in 1 fight.

Administrator

Yes, but you don’t see Bettman saying how the Rangers should have been more prepared for the Kings so they could have pushed it to game 7. The best era for the UFC was when it was 1UFC every like 40days, and had like 3-4great fights instead of the 1 fight with what seems to be former prelim talent fighting on paperview what they have now.

He was upset when GSP left for health reasons when he said he couldn’t sleep at night anymore. He was upset when the Diaz brother retired after the fight because of poor judging. GSP has watered down the UFC to a point where no one cares anymore. They need to get back to the UFC once a month and have them stacked. My opinion.

I’d go to a bar and watch all the fights and spend a lot of money on that, or rent it at my house. On Saturdays fight we walked into a bar for the jon jones fight, and ordered a pitcher. Then left when the fight was done. I’ll never order it on paperview again if I’m only interested in 1 fight.
    UFC running 100 shows per month is what watered it down. Nobody knows who the fighters are anymore. Almost impossible to keep up.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    UFC running 100 shows per month is what watered it down. Nobody knows who the fighters are anymore. Almost impossible to keep up.
    When I said GSP watered it down, I meant Dana. Dana should of kept the course in 2009/2010

Administrator

When I said GSP watered it down, I meant Dana. Dana should of kept the course in 2009/2010
    Definitely. He took the quick cash and took away all of the long-term growth potential.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Jon Jones may be one of the greatest fighters in the history of the UFC, but as a human being I think he is an arrogant, immature, fake piece of shit.

It's funny that the UFC will throw Diaz and others under the bus for something like marijuana, but when it comes to their prized champion taking a far more lethal drug, they "applaud" him for checking into rehab.

What a ****ing joke. I've stopped watching their watered down product for the past 2 years and have not had an inkling to watch again (although I may have to make an exception for Silva's return).