Thread: Rask? Or not Tu Rask? That is the question ...

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Rask? Or not Tu Rask? That is the question ...

I actually have F. Andersen, Halak, Enroth & Elliot on a Yahoo H2H league and I am mulling over whether or not to try and acquire Rask from an owner who is outside of the playoffs atm.

At the beginning of the season we would all say Rask is the best of all of them. However of those goalies, the only one Rask is outperforming is Enroth. I would like to believe Rask will improve, but when or will this occur? I do not believe Rask will perform poorly over the rest of the season, but rather am undecided over whether he can be elite rather than merely good.

How much of this is Rask and how much of this is Boston? Analytics suggest to me some of this has to be on Rask because last year both Rask and C. Johnson performed at the same % of Quality Starts, and this years backup, Svedburg, is performing at the same % of quality starts that Rask & Johnson did last year - .667%, despite the injuries that Boston has had this year.

I am currently first in my pool, but you do not stay on top by resting on my laurels, so I would appreciate any feedback on whether I should continue to ride my goalies as is, or gamble that Rask will rebound.

This is a 1 year pool.
    Last edited by ArrylT; December 29, 2014 at 9:58 AM. Reason: updated info

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Rask? Or not Tu Rask? That is the question ...

I'm beggining to think that Rask is a little bit overated...
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO

Dobber Sports Expert

I'd make a pitch to grab him...

A lot of the dropoff in his stats this year could be due to the injuries and subpar play of a few of the Bruins...

If you look at his splits:
    11-4-2, 2.16 GAA and .923 SP at home
    3-6-1, 3.36 GAA and .889 SP on the road

So it's the road starts that are clearly where his numbers are being dragged down.

If you look at his stats breakdown, it's mostly his ES save% that is a little off the mark, .920 this season compared to .941, .938 and .929 the three seasons prior.

I'd grab him and probably play it safe and just start him in his home starts and probably bench on the road starts... 7 of the next 10 at TD Garden, so hopefully that gets his confidence levels back up... Now's the time to grab him on this little home stand.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Deity

First off, welcome to the forums (even though you joined in 2007, this is your first post).

The following comments are based on your league being a keeper. You don't specify whether its a 1 year or keeper.

If there was ever a time to go get him, it's now. Yes, I'd make a pitch for him. If Rask was playing like we all expect Rask to play, what chance do you think you'd have to acquire him and at what cost?

Boston's D isn't as strong this year but a lot of that has to do with the Chara injury (and some has to do with trading away Boychuk) so I expect a nice little turn around for the Bruins when he returns.

It's times like this that the smart GMs make their moves and reap the rewards later when the player turns it around. Rask is just too good to not turn it around.

Short term pain for long term gain.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks for the responses so far! Haha yes Axeman33 (are you the one who writes the axe to grind column?), I have been a long time reader. Normally I only do 1-2 pools a year and those were box pools or points only pools (Dobber helped me win my first ever pool in 2007). This year I decided to branch out and try H2H pools on Yahoo. All the columns, and especially the Fantasy Geek have been very helpful so far.

In answer to your question - no this is just a 1 year league. But your comments & those of Maaaasquito have helped convince me that I should at least try. Even in a one year league your advice makes sense. Sometimes you need to hear someone else say the same thing you are thinking!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ArrylT View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far! Haha yes Axeman33 (are you the one who writes the axe to grind column?), I have been a long time reader. Normally I only do 1-2 pools a year and those were box pools or points only pools (Dobber helped me win my first ever pool in 2007). This year I decided to branch out and try H2H pools on Yahoo. All the columns, and especially the Fantasy Geek have been very helpful so far.

In answer to your question - no this is just a 1 year league. But your comments & those of Maaaasquito have helped convince me that I should at least try. Even in a one year league your advice makes sense. Sometimes you need to hear someone else say the same thing you are thinking!
    Yes, that's my column, although I haven't written it the past few weeks as I am now busy with the Capped column.

Good luck in your quest to get Rask.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Newbie

Just posting here to test my new signature lol. Also I wanted to say I really liked that column so I hope you revive at some point.
    12 Team H2H Yahoo One Year
    Goals, Assists, Plus / Minus, Powerplay Points, PIM & SOG
    Wins, GAA, SV% and Shutouts

F: Ovechkin, Backstrom, Pavelski, Versteeg, Backes, Kadri, Colin Wilson, Scheifele, Zibanejed
    D: Phaneuf, Byfuglien, Vatanen, Zidlicky
    G: Halak, Elliot, Rask