Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Junior Championship Pool

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default 2014 World Junior Championship Pool

Ladies and gentlemen,

Welcome to the IIHF Under 20 2012 pool. This is the seventh year that pool has been run here.

PAST WINNERS:
    First off, credit to the past winners.
    2008: miked (out of 8 or 9 entries - it was a last minute thing)
    2009: ultrawhiteness (out of 28 entries)
    2010: watchingthegame (out of 28 entries)
    2011: metaldude26 (out of 20 entries)
    2012: vandalay (out of 29 entries)
    2013: CaptainCally (out of 21 entries)

I also want to credit dobber user ‘nights’ for helping with the in tournament stat tracking. There is no Yahoo or ESPN pool so to update stats requires good old fashion manual entry. Nights has offered again this year so thanks again.

SCORING:
    Points only for skaters
    Goalies Wins = 2, OLT = 1, SO = +2
    The only points that count are those in games that lead to a medal (round robin and playoffs). This does include the bronze medal game. Relegation round or 5th-6th seeding games are NOT included.

ROSTER
    12 forwards, 6 d-men, 2 goalies + 1 captain (total 21 players)
    Only 5 players from any one nation (including all positions and captain) so you can’t load up on one or two nations.

The position of 'Captain' was introduced a few years ago to further enhance the diversity of the picks. So I have selected a few highly regarded players in tournament and you can only pick one (they are not available for the other forwards positions). This year the 6 captain are:
    Kasperi Kapanen FIN
    Connor McDavid CAN
    Jack Eichel USA
    William Nylander SWE
    Nikolai Goldobin RUS
    Nikolaj Ehlers DEN

PRIZE
    Respect and bragging rights. Other participants might give you reputation points or perform an interpreted dance in your honour.

HOW TO ENTER
    In the attached in the next post is a .zip file in which I have put a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. From here you can use the pull-down menus to pick you team. The spreadsheet counts the number of players from each nation. Once you have selected your 21 players save the excel file with your username and email it to me. My email is reeveta at gmail dot com. Please put 'World Junior Pool' in the title so it will be easy to spot in case your email gets caught as spam.

If you don't have Microsoft Excel your other option is to email me with the names (firstname lastname) of you entry in a list. The names must be spelled exactly as found on the roster from the http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/teams/ website. This make it possible for me to cut and paste into excel. Be sure to count the number of players you have from each nation.
    If you don’t have email and want to PM me please also make sure the full name is spelled correctly. Names I don’t understand may be mistaken for depth players on Team Denmark.

The deadline is before the drop of the puck for the first game.

CHANGES
    Last year a few people wanted to change their entries after they made them but before the deadline. This is not a big deal but it is something I would like to minimize because it is work for me and opens it up for me to make a mistake. The best plan is to wait until closer to the start of the tournament to make your entry. However, if you have to change it I will accept it up until the deadline.

NOTES AND DISCLAIMER
    I have done the best I can to get the up-to-date rosters but these rosters are pre-cuts for some teams and there may be errors. I take no responsibility for you picking players that don't play.

If player is not on the pull down list but should be, add him in the 'write in' section. There shouldn't be many but if there are I am sorry. Every year a few people put a write-in candidate that is one of the captain choices. Be sure to look there first.

I am posting this December 19 at 2 pm eastern time so it couldn't hurt to check back in a day or two in case someone finds a mistake. Updates will be posted here.

SPREAD THE WORD
    Please feel free to spread the word around the forums about this free challenge. The more people that enter the greater the glory.

Entry Form.zip

Default Re: 2014 World Junior Championship Pool

This was damn fun last year! Thanks to you and Nights for your efforts, much appreciated.

Giddy up!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Here's to attempting to win this year!

EDIT : I should mention that the first puck drop is on the 26th at 1 PM EST.

EDIT 2 : How about I make this a nice and easy "table of contents" post?

Results (Dec 26) - See Post 115, page 8
    Results (Dec 27) - See Post 118, page 8
    Results (Dec 28) - See Post 120, page 8
    Last edited by Nights; December 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    Here's to attempting to win this year!

EDIT : I should mention that the first puck drop is on the 26th at 1 PM EST.
    You weren't attempting in previous years?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

This HAS to be my year right?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Spoken like a true Oilers fan.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Guru

I am looking forward to my annual tradition of selecting at least two guys that won't play.

I consider not coming in last success.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I consider not coming in last success.
    Last year I finally had a solid showing, but the year before that you beat me by one spot (41 out of 49, instead of 42 out of 49). We're both not exactly tearing this up I suppose. Pretty sure 5th is the best I've ever done.

Dobber Sports Stud

Last year I finally had a solid showing, but the year before that you beat me by one spot (41 out of 49, instead of 42 out of 49). We're both not exactly tearing this up I suppose. Pretty sure 5th is the best I've ever done.
    I think I've had 2 top 5 endings, but other then that... the hosts always get destroyed. Want to change that tune.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't want to be a knob here but I believe I've won this pool before
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

The Wolverine

I might join this again but am clueless on prospects. Any suggestions on the best external sites to read up on these guys? Not just in general, but who could analyse based on country usage/role in this tournament, etc? TSN I guess. Hockey's Future? Elite Prospects? Others?

Dobber Sports Stud

i'm planning on joining this for the first time, and i have every intention of winning!!!

are the pool standings going to be posted daily? will they be posted on this thread?

and not that i'm planning on it at the moment, but am i correct in assuming we can have as many write-in players as we want?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Generally the standingds are daily unless people get busy. It's over the Holidays, so at times there is a delay. Almost every day though. They are updated in this thread.

And you can fill your whole team with write-in players if you want, as long as your roster still fits in the 12 forwards, 6 d-men, 2 goalies + 1 captain format (the captain can't be a write-in obviously)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    i'm planning on joining this for the first time, and i have every intention of winning!!!

are the pool standings going to be posted daily? will they be posted on this thread?

and not that i'm planning on it at the moment, but am i correct in assuming we can have as many write-in players as we want?
    I usually do them daily - in the morning when I wake up. Don't really have a busy social life during the holidays so should be able to do each one.

Posted daily with the master Excel file as well that's easy for people to keep track of and even keep track at home!

You can have as many write-ins as you want, but there are drop-down menus in the file with most players who are part of their teams camp rosters. As long as you follow the positions, 5 max per nation and the 1 captain only (who counts against the max) then you should be fine.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO