Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trade away Tarasenko & Voracek for potential #1 overall pick in McDavid draft? (REP!)

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Trade away Tarasenko & Voracek for potential #1 overall pick in McDavid draft? (REP!)

Hey gang,

I'm in a keep-6 H2H league (scoring, roster, settings in sig), and the majority of the pot is paid out to the regular season champion. I'm currently running away with the lead (134 points, second place has 119), thanks to my stacked team. Because most of the pot pays out for the H2H regular season champ, I'm looking to gear down a little bit to ensure I go on a rampage again next season.

I have an offer from the last place team for his first pick (the 7th round in our format, 1-6 are reserved for keepers), and he is in the bottom of the league (60 points, second place has 74). There's a chance he will climb by the end of the season and his pick won't be #1 overall, so there's a bit of a risk.

His offer:

Galchenyuk
    Backes
    7th round pick (first round of our format)

For my:

Tarasenko
    Voracek
    10th round pick (fourth round in our format)

Thoughts?

Should I jump on this? Or is it too risky? McDavid would sure look good on my team. I'll have to rework it a little bit because I don't have room for 2 players with a healthy Lupul & Fisher on my IR, but I'll figure it out.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Trade away Tarasenko & Voracek for potential #1 overall pick in McDavid draft? (REP!)

Too risky - wouldn't do it.
    ------------OLD------------
    15 Team Yahoo Rotisserie (1YR)
    Max Games Played
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 4BN
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux, Stastny, Fisher
    LW: Benn, Hall, Lucic, Hartnell
    RW: Stamkos, Hossa, Stafford
    D: Karlsson, Byfuglien, Brodie, Borowiecki, Pouliot
    G: Elliott, Allen, Dubnyk, Stalock
    IR: P. Kane

Notable Trades:
    Khudobin -> Hartnell (Oct 12)
    Ehrhoff -> Lupul (Nov 12)
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)
    Forsberg, Kucherov, Stalock -> Stamkos (Dec 20)
    Varlamov -> Lucic (Jan 20)
    E. Staal -> Byfuglien (Jan 20)
    Halak, Perreault -> Benn (Feb 10)

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Trade away Tarasenko & Voracek for potential #1 overall pick in McDavid draft? (REP!)

Far too risky. You are talking a major downgrade for a CHANCE at McDavid. There is no need to rush this - try again in the offseason when you know who actually has the 1st overall pick. By giving him those good players you might actually be helping him get out of last place. That's clearly the gamble he's taking.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As it stands, I agree with the others. The risk is too high that you don't get him. Out of curiosity, would Tarasenko and Voracek both be keepers on his team? If so, if you are hell bent on making a deal I would be asking for more back as neither of the guys you receive is a keeper with your team. I think PMorrow is right on that you should wait till the off season and target the guy then. Who are his current keepers?
    [SIZE=1]WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Wizard

Ya, too risky to make that deal right now. If it was later in the season, maybe....but there's too much time left for the standings to move around.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

The Great One

Even if you were guaranteed McDavid, I'm not sure why you would do this.

You play fantasy hockey to win, and you are in a position to win right now. If you make this deal, not only do you potentially (likely?) not win this year, but you are likely not as strong next year either, even with McDavid. McDavid is good, very good even, but Tarasenko and Voracek will almost certainly out-produce him next year.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Stud

Would trade those FOR McDavid, but not a chance at McDavid
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree, it's too much risk that you will give up the win this year. Perhaps you could offer a better draft pick in return and then remove Tarasenko or Voracek? Would you then only keep one goalie? That's another thing you'd be giving up as well.
    12 H2H w/ daily changes. G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,W,GAA,Sv%. Keep 6 players
    C (2): Karlsson, Kadri, Reinhart (RW), Eichel (IR), Byfield (IR)
    LW (2): Hall, Stuetzle, van Reimsdyk, Hughes (IR)
    RW (2): Ehlers (LW), Gaudreau (LW), Rust (IR)
    D (3): Barrie, Petry, Dahlin, Gostisbehere, Dunn, Dobson, Andersson
    Util (2)
    G (2): Shesterkin, Mike Smith, Merzlikins, Koskinen

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post

You play fantasy hockey to win, and you are in a position to win right now. If you make this deal, not only do you potentially (likely?) not win this year, but you are likely not as strong next year either, even with McDavid. McDavid is good, very good even, but Tarasenko and Voracek will almost certainly out-produce him next year.
    I agree with this. Let's say that you get McDavid (first if) and McDavid lives up to his hype (second, even bigger if). Already that's two ifs. Plus, you have to ask yourself why this guy is making you this offer. He's trying to capitalize on McDavid hype, which at this point remain exactly that - hype. Meanwhile, you'd be trading guys who've already shown they have what it takes to factor into the top 10 scorers list for perhaps the better part of the next ten years. As much as you hate to say no and miss out on what could be a truly special player, you owe it to yourself to turn down the deal.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post

second this.....
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

no way you should not move tarasnko. This guy is a fantasy stud for all offensive categories, im not sure mcdavid would beat him out prolly in assists and maybe points only.

Dobber Sports Master

I dont see any reason to disagree with the crowd on this one. Nice to have McDavid, but you aren't in a hockey pool to own McDavid. The goal is to win. I wouldn't risk my chances at a league win for a chance at McDavid.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Not a chance I would move even Tarasenko for the "Chance" at McDavid. Let alone add a top point producer in Voracek. The other owner is salivating on the other end of the phone waiting for you to accept and then poop himself for committing grand larceny. You would take ALL the risk for an 80 point player (potential in Voracek) and a 40 goal man (probably more) in Tarasenko. Please god no!!!! Don't let the other GM poop himself with glee......
    10 team keeper league dress 4 LW, C, RW, 6 Def and 2 Goalies (gls and asts are a pt for fwds and 1.5 for Def, as is a +, but also -1 for a - forwards and -1 for "D", G - 2 pts for win, 5 for SO and pts for saves)
    LW - Landeskog, Robertson, E. Kane, Guentzel, Huberdeau, Kreider, Schwartz (C/RW)
    C - Stamkos, Zibanijad, Wright, Norris, Seguin (RW), Larkin, Zegras, Zary
    RW - Rantanen, Olofsson, Kuzmenko (LW), Sharangovich (LW/C), Laine, Arvidsson (LW)
    D - M. Anderson, Josi, S. Jones, Toews, Theodore, Faber, , Korchinski, Zellweger, Mintyukov, Larsson, H. Lindholm, K. Miller
    G - Andersen, Gustavsson, Saros, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'll veer from the crowd.

If this is for the league in your SIG... you've got your 6 keepers.
    Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Karlsson.
    I mean... damn... those have got to be 4 of the top 8 or so skaters in multi-cat hockey.

Then you got Fleury/Niemi.
    Bonafide top ten goalies.

This definitely weakens your team for this year... make no doubt.
    But going forward... if he can't climb out of last...
    And you get McDavid...

Yumm-O.
    We're talking DYNASTY: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Karlsson, McDavid... Fleury.
    I mean... I love it.
    I absolutely love it.
    Partial keeper... keep six... I think this is a great risk for you.

I'd love to actually SEE the current standings to gauge how likely it is you can get that #1 pick.
    And to be honest, I'd really love to see you setting the table for a trade with the 2nd last place team as well and pull BOTH triggers at the same time.

Also - your league does NOT count SOG... so Tarasenko/Voracek lose some of the standard multi-cat value that people associate with them.
    Galchenyuk & Backes are not a HUGE drop off in fantasy.
    They should both be stealthy in +/- and Backes PIM contribution will be very nice.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'll veer from the crowd.

If this is for the league in your SIG... you've got your 6 keepers.
    Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Karlsson.
    I mean... damn... those have got to be 4 of the top 8 or so skaters in multi-cat hockey.

Then you got Fleury/Niemi.
    Bonafide top ten goalies.

This definitely weakens your team for this year... make no doubt.
    But going forward... if he can't climb out of last...
    And you get McDavid...

Yumm-O.
    We're talking DYNASTY: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Karlsson, McDavid... Fleury.
    I mean... I love it.
    I absolutely love it.
    Partial keeper... keep six... I think this is a great risk for you.

I'd love to actually SEE the current standings to gauge how likely it is you can get that #1 pick.
    And to be honest, I'd really love to see you setting the table for a trade with the 2nd last place team as well and pull BOTH triggers at the same time.

Also - your league does NOT count SOG... so Tarasenko/Voracek lose some of the standard multi-cat value that people associate with them.
    Galchenyuk & Backes are not a HUGE drop off in fantasy.
    They should both be stealthy in +/- and Backes PIM contribution will be very nice.
    Im not sure I agree with this reasoning...his strong keepers should mean that almost every trade he makes in-season should be to surround those 6 keepers with good players to help his team win. Trading two short term pieces like Tarasenko and Voracek for a ticket to the McDavid lottery hurts his chances of winning. However, in the OFFSEASON he can throw even MORE at him for that top pick - Tarasenko, Voracek, a late 1st, etc, for the 1st overall pick.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry