Thread: Sell High/Buy Low?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Sell High/Buy Low?

Sell-high: Nick Foligno, T.J. Brodie, Derrick Brassard

Buy at discount: Kopitar, Mackinnon, Patrick Kane

I didn't wanna say "buy-low" because given the caliber of these players "buy-low" isn't really the term. I'd say at a discount because some owners may be a little frustrated with them so far and could possibly give them up for a little less than they should.

I am currently looking for some discounted trade opportunities for players that have been under-acheiving. Any other names you'd like to add or mention? Also if you disagree with picks please say so. I am very open for discussion, and maybe some things I may not have thought about.

Check my sig, I own all three of my sell high candidates and am very open to moving them around.
    12 Team H2H:
    Skaters:
    G(7), A(6),SOG(1), Blks(1), GWG(2), SOGoals(2), SOGWG(1.5), Gordie Howe Hat-tricks(2.5), Hat-tricks(3), Hits (.5), OTAssists(1), OTGoals(1.5), Fights(3.5), Penalty Shot Goals(1.5), +/-(1), SHG(2.5), SHA(1.5)

Goalies:A(7), GA(-1.5), W(3), L(-3), OTL(-1.5), Saves(0.5), SO(7), Shoot-out GA(-0.5), Shoot-out Saves(0.5)

F: Tarasenko, Parise, Wheeler, Letang, Kucherov, Tatar, Kreider, Kuznetsov, Thornton, Lee, Atkinson, Brassard, Tanguay, Anisimov, Rieder, Burrows

D: Letang, Doughty, J. Johnson, Vatinen, Brodie

TG: TB, Min

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Sell High/Buy Low?

Buy low: Evander Kane, Nyquist, Lucic, McDonagh, Koivu, Chara, Semin, Ryan, etc.

This would probably be your best time to buy Taylor Hall low. Oilers suck, and just two points in four games since coming back from an injury.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_Mac View Post
    Sell-high: Nick Foligno, T.J. Brodie, Derrick Brassard

Buy at discount: Kopitar, Mackinnon, Patrick Kane

I didn't wanna say "buy-low" because given the caliber of these players "buy-low" isn't really the term. I'd say at a discount because some owners may be a little frustrated with them so far and could possibly give them up for a little less than they should.

I am currently looking for some discounted trade opportunities for players that have been under-acheiving. Any other names you'd like to add or mention? Also if you disagree with picks please say so. I am very open for discussion, and maybe some things I may not have thought about.

Check my sig, I own all three of my sell high candidates and am very open to moving them around.
    I don't think Brodie is a sell-high. He's the real deal - should be around the top 25 of Dmen this year, which according to last year, means hitting around 40 points.
    A sell-high you haven't mentioned is Tarasenko.
    Maybe Kucherov if you can get something nice for him - although Kucherov has been doing very well for himself, he doesn't exactly have a lot of name equity.
    Versteeg is a definite sell-high because I expect that once Sharp returns, all the opportunities he's getting right now will dwindle significantly.

Next, I don't think you can get MacK at a buy-low price anymore. Maybe you can try to get Landeskog at a discount but MacK has been stacking up the points recently.
    ------------OLD------------
    15 Team Yahoo Rotisserie (1YR)
    Max Games Played
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 4BN
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux, Stastny, Fisher
    LW: Benn, Hall, Lucic, Hartnell
    RW: Stamkos, Hossa, Stafford
    D: Karlsson, Byfuglien, Brodie, Borowiecki, Pouliot
    G: Elliott, Allen, Dubnyk, Stalock
    IR: P. Kane

Notable Trades:
    Khudobin -> Hartnell (Oct 12)
    Ehrhoff -> Lupul (Nov 12)
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)
    Forsberg, Kucherov, Stalock -> Stamkos (Dec 20)
    Varlamov -> Lucic (Jan 20)
    E. Staal -> Byfuglien (Jan 20)
    Halak, Perreault -> Benn (Feb 10)

Dobber Sports Genius

Mikko Koivu in a league that counts face-offs
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Superstar

Sell high Trevor Daley
    Buy on discount - Erik Karlsson
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Mikko Koivu in a league that counts face-offs
    Not only for league with face-offs... The past three years, he maintained an average of 0.80, 0.77 and 0.83 PPG.
    That's consistency. He probably won't reach the same kind of numbers this year, but you have to think he produces at least 40 points for the remaining of the season.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by LakeSoup View Post
    A sell-high you haven't mentioned is Tarasenko.
    That's because I see Tarasenko as the real deal. Even more so than TJ Brodie. I've been anticipating his eventual breakout since he was drafted.
    Now with Schwartz developing and fitting on that line perfectly and not to mention Lehtera and Tarasenkos close relationship on and off the ice and the fact were 2/3 of the best line in the KHL together. That line is for real and will produce all year.
    I've got Tarasenko a lock for 40 goals and 70 points easy.
    12 Team H2H:
    Skaters:
    G(7), A(6),SOG(1), Blks(1), GWG(2), SOGoals(2), SOGWG(1.5), Gordie Howe Hat-tricks(2.5), Hat-tricks(3), Hits (.5), OTAssists(1), OTGoals(1.5), Fights(3.5), Penalty Shot Goals(1.5), +/-(1), SHG(2.5), SHA(1.5)

Goalies:A(7), GA(-1.5), W(3), L(-3), OTL(-1.5), Saves(0.5), SO(7), Shoot-out GA(-0.5), Shoot-out Saves(0.5)

F: Tarasenko, Parise, Wheeler, Letang, Kucherov, Tatar, Kreider, Kuznetsov, Thornton, Lee, Atkinson, Brassard, Tanguay, Anisimov, Rieder, Burrows

D: Letang, Doughty, J. Johnson, Vatinen, Brodie

TG: TB, Min

Dobber Sports Superstar

I expect that the buy-low windows of Kopitar and MacK have closed, assuming that they were there in the first place.

Drouin may be a buy-low, however. At least, I doubt his value will be any lower than it is right now.

As far as Tank goes, doubtless there are some players you could get for him now that you couldn't before, but I'd be wanting a Patrick Kane or Hall for him now. He may well regress from his current pace, but even if he does he'd still be comparable to those players.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Sell high Trevor Daley
    Buy on discount - Erik Karlsson
    No owner is going to sell Karlsson on a discount. He's got 16 points in 20 games - that's still a very-above-average D pace and results in a pro-rated 66 points.
    He's the undisputed fantasy #1 D, what people call his "slump" pertains to him only - for anyone else, it'd be called a breakout or an entitlement as a "top 10 D of the year."

Look at Subban - he's got 13 points in 23 games. Barely over 0.5 PPG. This guy's supposed to be a probable #2 fantasy Dman.

I don't think anyone will buy high on Daley either. His recent stretch of games has been poor and literally every blog or newspaper is heralding the rise of Klingberg. Couple that with Demers and Gogo on the blue line, and suddenly Daley has very little value outside of his blocks.
    He wasn't a big name to begin with, which is why he was under owned through the first quarter of the season, since everyone expected a sharp decline in his production. And rightfully so due to his subpar historical performance.
    Max Games Played
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Notable Trades:
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)

Dobber Sports Ace

Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by LakeSoup View Post
    I don't think Brodie is a sell-high. He's the real deal - should be around the top 25 of Dmen this year, which according to last year, means hitting around 40 points.
    whoa. Do you realize you're suggesting the guy will prove to be the "real deal" by scoring 24 points in the next 60 games to hit the 40 mark? That's profoundly mediocre for a top 10 d-man at the moment. Also, going from top 10 to top 25 is in most leagues falling into replacement value territory -- so many 35-40 pointers and who the hell knows which ones will go over 40 and which won't, since d-points often involve luck, i.e. 2nd assists like the ones Keith piled up last year.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    whoa. Do you realize you're suggesting the guy will prove to be the "real deal" by scoring 24 points in the next 60 games to hit the 40 mark? That's profoundly mediocre for a top 10 d-man at the moment. Also, going from top 10 to top 25 is in most leagues falling into replacement value territory -- so many 35-40 pointers and who the hell knows which ones will go over 40 and which won't, since d-points often involve luck, i.e. 2nd assists like the ones Keith piled up last year.
    I'm being rather conservative when I state that Brodie is only going to hit 40. Of course I hope and believe that he can do better than that. A fairly standard league from what I see from most people's signatures is 4D x 10 teams. That means even at say 25th, he slots in as the 3rd choice defenceman. That's not bad, considering his value pre-season was very poor. Didn't even go drafted in many pools. Very few people even knew that he was a fantasy option.
    He plays for what many people picked to be one of the worst teams in the West - Flames don't get that much exposure even in the Canadian market.

So he's already made a pretty significant jump! A jump large enough for me to define him, a possible 40+ point D man, as a relevant fantasy option.
    Also, there's a difference between someone who can definitely hit 40 considering he's almost half way there, and someone who we thought was going to hit 40 but has started the season slow. I think most people would agree that the former is a better fantasy option, at least by the sound of it.
    Max Games Played
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Notable Trades:
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)