Thread: Stats: Rest is good, B2B are bad.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Stats: Rest is good, B2B are bad.

We all probably "knew this" to some extent, or at least assumed it, but here's an article on TSN that actually used 7 seasons' worth of data to explore the impacts of rest on performance. It looks at Fenwick, Goal %, and Win %, and reaffirms the notion that teams are negatively impacted with no rest, most positively impacted with 1 day of rest, and more than 1 day of rest still being beneficial but to a lesser extent.

http://www.tsn.ca/yost-rest-makes-a-...mance-1.120073

Banned

Default Re: Stats: Rest is good, B2B are bad.

If I see Yost, it's a no-read for me. Sorry.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    If I see Yost, it's a no-read for me. Sorry.
    Haha, I know nothing of their writers. Should I question his future stuff? Either way, the data in here is what I care about. Even if he's an incompetent writer, he can at least do basic math. Haha.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'd buy this.
    From playing multiple sports growing up... besides the physical requirement, there is a huge mental component.
    My high school soccer coach was the first one to tell me "before a game, start visualizing what you are going to do out there".
    It works, it really works.
    If you can see yourself finding space, possessing the ball/puck, scoring - it really can take you another step.

But when you play the night before, you have a certain amount of unwinding.
    And your mind may not ready up to "preparation" (especially mentally) before a game the next night.
    You might just roll into it without the mental preparation.

It's a good piece.
    (I know nothing of the writer either... but conceptually, this would be statistics backing a hypothesis I would make... so I'd have to say it's valuable information.)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    We all probably "knew this" to some extent, or at least assumed it, but here's an article on TSN that actually used 7 seasons' worth of data to explore the impacts of rest on performance. It looks at Fenwick, Goal %, and Win %, and reaffirms the notion that teams are negatively impacted with no rest, most positively impacted with 1 day of rest, and more than 1 day of rest still being beneficial but to a lesser extent.

http://www.tsn.ca/yost-rest-makes-a-...mance-1.120073
    In further news water is wet and fire is hot.

Kidding. This seems like a fairly obvious conclusion to come to via the "eye test" but it remains important to do analysis on such theories because without it you end up with "common knowledge" that when tested turns out to be completely wrong. Interesting find for sure.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR