Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The World's Greatest Hockey Factory

Dobber Sports Guru

Default The World's Greatest Hockey Factory

Cool video - Ornskoldsvik, Sweden, Population 30,000 and the town has produced 26 NHL players.

Administrator

Default Re: The World's Greatest Hockey Factory

The majority of Canada is composed of parents putting tens of thousands per year trying to turn their kids into hockey stars and somehow this place has the whole thing figured out!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Awesome video, watched it in full.
    I wouldn't disagree with the title, I've noticed that city popping up in player bios/info over the last 15 years, just keep seeing it.

It was pretty enjoyable for me too... coming from Windsor, Ontario... which actually looks very similar from across the water (Detroit), Windsor is a very similar factory/industrial blue-collar town.
    (Except in Windsor, we don't breed offensive skill... just goonery.)

Loved seeing Peter Forsberg in the interview, talk about a guy still rockin' an awesome flow (hair).

(I'm curious what street that is at the 45second mark where you can see some country flags incl. Canada, US...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Going to have to see where my Swedish prospects grew up. Great video, like lots of small towns in Canada, where they have some great coaches who volunteer there time.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Titan

Crazy to think that it should be a city of like 13million people to produce that many NHLers. The talent level coming out of it is insane too. HOFers galore.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Saw this on HNIC. Stephen Brunt does a fantastic job of these features. I think this is the third or fourth one I've seen and I've loved them all.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Crazy stuff.

You mean dropping $35,000 to enroll your kid on an elite team is not the answer? (Real number for 4 families that just left our city to put their kids on a "better" team elsewhere. That's what it cost each FOURTEEN year old boy to simply join the team)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Crazy stuff.

You mean dropping $35,000 to enroll your kid on an elite team is not the answer? (Real number for 4 families that just left our city to put their kids on a "better" team elsewhere. That's what it cost each FOURTEEN year old boy to simply join the team)
    Shouldn’t Pierre McGuire know their favourite meals by now if they were going to make it?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Incredible that they aren't just 26 pluggers, there are some legendary players from there.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Genius

Maybe one day Canada can do one of these on Cole Harbour? Well, it's just Crosby and MacKinnon for now but that's some quality.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Crazy stuff.

yes the ridiculous costs of hockey in Canada for kids is absolutely insane and simply not affordable for the majority of families. The term "sacrifices" is long gone when someone needs a second job just so a kid can play on a stupid hockey team with 6am and 11pm practices.

No thanks, I'll put my kids in something more enjoyable.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    yes the ridiculous costs of hockey in Canada for kids is absolutely insane and simply not affordable for the majority of families. The term "sacrifices" is long gone when someone needs a second job just so a kid can play on a stupid hockey team with 6am and 11pm practices.

No thanks, I'll put my kids in something more enjoyable.
    More enjoyable for you? Or the kids? Your child's favorite sport may be hockey and you may still decide to not pay for your child to play, but in that case the outcome is more enjoyable for you but not necessarily your child.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    More enjoyable for you? Or the kids? Your child's favorite sport may be hockey and you may still decide to not pay for your child to play, but in that case the outcome is more enjoyable for you but not necessarily your child.

As a parent you can influence the direction your kid goes. I will put them in soccer and I am sure they will love it just as much as if they were to like hockey.

it's amazing the influence you have as a parent

Dobber Sports Genius

I guess you don't have an idea what tier one soccer costs in Canada either. A buddy of mine paid $8,000 dollars for his son to play from March to October this year. Top level, tournaments road trips and all. The other thing, sadly, is that while the soccer program in Canada is fantastic for children, the program completely dies at around the 14-15 year old level.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    I guess you don't have an idea what tier one soccer costs in Canada either. A buddy of mine paid $8,000 dollars for his son to play from March to October this year. Top level, tournaments road trips and all. The other thing, sadly, is that while the soccer program in Canada is fantastic for children, the program completely dies at around the 14-15 year old level.
    yes that's true, but that is still far from the costs of hockey. And you are right. in the mid teens the programs die down, that's why Canada isn't a top country in the sport while they very much could be. It's a shame really.