Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2014/2015 Dobber PRO (Tier II) Campbell League

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: 2014/2015 Dobber PRO (Tier II) Campbell League

Quote Originally Posted by Chinny View Post
    I came into the draft very unprepared, and i find i go G/D heavy early when i do that, and it shows in this draft. I also made some tweaks to a program i created for drafting support, only to find out half way that my "what to draft for recommendation" wasn't aligning with the proper stats so i went a bit heavy in some areas and missed out on some i needed. Normally when i use my sheet i come out (based on my projections) with a top 3 team, this time i was ranked 9th!
    I don't have much to say other than i like my goalies and my D but i am hurting a bit up front. I will have to see what the year brings as last year i got hit hard by injuries and you just never now but i think i will need some luck or to find a partner that wants to dance to offset some of my weakness with my strength.
    Interesting that Pavelec went so early here, I was able to pick him up as a FA after the draft (I am going with Rask, Pavelec, Miller and Lack).
    I think you could have some issues with scoring, and I would be very very active on the wire early season, trying to find breakout players.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My round-by-round draft synopsis:

Round 1: Ryan Getzlaf
    I drafted out of the 11 spot. I hate drafting 7-12 range. Put me a the turn or top half. But, you can't always get your way.
    I really wanted Claude Giroux here, but that was simply wishful thinking. Getzlaf is one of the few hitting AND shooting centers in the NHL and I have him ranked 4th overall in this format for skaters.

Round 2: Semyon Varlamov - Goalie #1
    Two years ago Varly burned me bad with my From Russia with 'Ov team that included Bryzgalov & Markov. Then last year he want off with an incredible year.
    This was a frustrating round as I had four guys queued with four picks until my turn. Seguin (taken), Benn (taken), Crawford (taken), Schneider (taken). It was either Varly or Lehtonen and I took the goalie on the better team, IMO.

Round 3: Patrick Sharp
    Sharp has been a top 10 Yahoo! player in two of the past three years. 2nd in the league in SOG and on a good Hawks team, yes please.

Round 4: Patrice Bergeron
    Just before my pick Chinny took the guy I really wanted here, Gabriel Landeskog. I went with Bergeron who, like Getzlaf, is the rare center that shoots.

Round 5: Patric Hornqvist
    I reached... but I expect big things and I wasn't thrilled by many other options (Skinner, E.Kane, D.Brown, Kesler, Nash went next among forwards). He's another high SOG guy on a PLUS team.

Round 6: Thomas Vanek
    In case you hadn't noticed the trend, here it is. HIGH SOG, PLUS TEAM forward playing on PP1.
    Of interesting note here, the 2nd pick in the 6th round was Darcy Kuemper by Ott Man Out. Remember this.

Round 7: Mark Giordano
    Despite him being my UNDER LOCK in my 12 o/u picks, I love Gio in multi-cat with Hits and defensemen were starting to thin out McD, Krug, Shatty had flown off the board this round.

Round 8: James Wisniewski
    Wiz is just not a sexy name, but the stats are there... and I have to thank Shoeless who seems to bring this up anytime somebody says "Wiz or Inferior D-man".

Round 9: Ondrej Palat
    I like Palat on a 10th/11th round level. But two things happened pre-draft: 1. The Comish was pumping the shit out of him (and I trust the Comish) and 2. Cooper basically said he loves Palat with Stammer. Done. Deal.
    Oh... PLUS forward that shoots, with some added hits this time.

Round 10: Jaromir Jagr
    Including watching both Tier III drafts, I've done/seen about 6-7 drafts this year and Jagr falls... every time. He was a top 30 skater last year in Yahoo!
    He's old last year, he's old this year. Jersey should be a PLUS team, Jagr shoots. Trend continued.

Round 11: Brayden Schenn
    I forced myself to not get swayed by hits through 10 rounds. Then the 10 were over and I went with a homer pick: Schenn. Oh, those Hits... and a shot to ride with G & Voracek, yes, please (again!)

Round 12: Nicklas Backstrom - Goalie #2
    Remember what I said about Darcy Kuemper going in round 6... well, lookee here... round 12 and I got the real #1 goalie (at least until the wheels value off). Value, yes.
    I gave myself a pat on the back because I checked EVERY team in the league knowing most owners do NOT select a 3rd goalie until around 13th round when they've got plenty of D/F.
    Cam Ward and Eddie Lack went not too far after, I felt really good.
    Picking Backstrom was part of my Master Plan for goalies... but there was one more part of that plan left...

Round 13: Kevin Bieksa
    This one was a bit tough as I had my queue set for Andrej Sekera who was nabbed by Savages. Bieksa was best SOG option left... and he actually scored relatively low compared to his SOG output. Hoping for normalization here.

Round 14: Tyler Ennis
    One thing I know about Yahoo! is that players with extreme MINUS stats from next year were way low. I'm hoping that Ennis centering line #1 can keep the minus reasonable, because his PPP & SOG at this point are incredible value.

Round 15: Matt Irwin
    This was the first pick I didn't like since round 2.... what a run... 12 great rounds. I just couldn't find anything I liked and went with stats... but am reading that Irwin may not even crack the Sharks opening line-up. Yeesh.

Round 16: Nick Holden
    I think Avs fans can tell you what a super player he can be. Good grit and will join a rush and provide offense. Yahoo! only shows full-season stats in the draft, so Holden with 54 GP last year doesn't show up for the cat-clickers.

Round 17: Charlie Coyle
    Coyle is a guy I just love and I've been calling for him as RW2 instead of Nino all off-season. I'm a bit dejected to hear he'll be C3 to start the season, but he should still make a big leap offensively and may get PP2 time.

Round 18: Calvin de Haan
    No, the Isles recent D-acquisitions don't bother me. I think CdH steps it up this year. Had him up for my sleeper picks, but I'm taking him now.

Round 19: Trevor Daley
    This was the most nervous I was all draft as I started realizing that my coveted super-sleeper, Daley, had been gettin' too much Dobber forum talk recently. Thankfully, he fell to me.

Round 20: Jhonas Enroth
    There's a chance NikBack breaks. If that's the case, you need a Plan B on your bench. Buffalo might suck, but I do believe Enroth will get bulk of starts. In past year, Bob & Steve Mason have emerged... SV count, at least SV count.
    This was my contingency round and regardless of how bad... a #1 starter in Round 20 is still worth one solid category: SV.

Round 21: Niklas Svedberg
    Plan C. It may be 2 months into the season when NikBack breaks. If my team GAA is good, I may decide I can take the hit in SV to protect those GAA points... and just take spot Wins.
    Best case, Rask gets injured and my team is an instant-frontrunner.

Round 22: Sean Couturier
    I actually spent a few of the last rounds looking for guys that play 3 times in the first week. PHI plays a quick 3, so I'll take the offense and dump Couturier if his linemates stink, but right now he is C2, which could be great.

Round 23: Brock Nelson
    I'm actually thrilled with the recent Anders Lee (Round 14) hype because it means Brock is an after-thought... a Round 23 C2 with Strome after-thought. Not bad.

Round 24: Matt Bartkowski
    I cursed two or three times this draft, most drafts. But the loudest was when Leo Komarov was drafted by The 'Eh" Team. A guy that could challenge Matt Martin for the HITS crown and has no stats from last year.
    Ah, well. On the Boychuk news, I knew Bartkowski would get a better shot to play. He's a good HIT guy if he can play almost every day. And a PLUS on that BOS blueline, with 7 games in 11 nights to open the season.

Round 25: Reto Berra
    Standard last-round pick: #1 goalie insurance.

Draft Grade: A
    I don't love my top two round choices, but I don't regret them... just the sadness of not getting the guy I wanted because he was taken.
    Other than the Round 15 Irwin pick, I really love my choices.
    My team is light on HITS, but I can chase those once the front-runners establish themselves... it's the one cat I'm 100% confident I can micro-manage simply using the wire.

Expected finished: 2nd (+/- 2 spots)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    Interesting that Pavelec went so early here, I was able to pick him up as a FA after the draft (I am going with Rask, Pavelec, Miller and Lack).
    I think you could have some issues with scoring, and I would be very very active on the wire early season, trying to find breakout players.
    I got screwed in Hits and Goaltending last year, add in that i kept targeting hits since my program said i was lacking (the stat cat bug i mentioned) my team got a bit offline with what was needed. Last year i waited getting my 2/3 goalies (with Rinne as my 1) and i was chasing. With 16 teams and 2 G start spots i wanted to have 3 starters, yes Pavelec isn't great but i didn't really like the other options that were showing up.
    Like i mentioned, not overly happy with my draft but time will tell, just need to hope i get a good start and can make the right moves.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sunday Adds in the Campbell:

Stephane Robidas Tor - D Waiver
    Nathan Horton Cls - RW IR To Waivers
    Forgotabout thedraft Oct 12, 4:47 am

Jonas Gustavsson Det - G Waiver
    Tom Gilbert Mon - D To Waivers
    Forgotabout thedraft Oct 12, 4:47 am

Ladislav Smid Cgy - D Waiver
    Kings Landing Oct 12, 4:47 am

Martin Havlat NJ - LW,RW Waiver
    First Blood Oct 12, 4:47 am

Marcus Foligno Buf - LW $1 Waiver
    Ryan Murphy Car - D To Waivers
    Last Resort Oct 12, 4:47 am

Zemgus Girgensons Buf - C,LW $1 Waiver
    Last Resort Oct 12, 4:47 am

Cody Ceci Ott - D $1 Waiver
    Luke Schenn Phi - D To Waivers
    The Jobbers Oct 12, 4:47 am

Erik Cole Dal - LW,RW $1 Waiver
    Kings Landing Oct 12, 4:47 am

Adam McQuaid Bos - D $1 Waiver
    Mark Stuart Wpg - D To Waivers
    Suspirria Oct 12, 4:47 am

Dustin Tokarski Mon - G $2 Waiver
    Chris Neil Ott - RW To Waivers
    Goner For Connor Oct 12, 4:47 am

Paul Gaustad Nsh - C,LW $2 Waiver
    rattus rattus Oct 12, 4:47 am

Christopher Tanev Van - D $2 Waiver
    The Jobbers Oct 12, 4:47 am

Zac Rinaldo Phi - C,LW $3 Waiver
    Jamie McGinn Col - LW To Waivers
    Steam Roller Oct 12, 4:47 am

Joe Colborne Cgy - C $4 Waiver
    rattus rattus Oct 12, 4:47 am

Anthony Duclair NYR - LW $4 Waiver
    Sam Bennett Cgy - C DTD To Waivers
    Ott Man Out Oct 12, 4:47 am

Andre Burakovsky Was - LW $7 Waiver
    The 'Eh' team Oct 12, 4:47 am

Cory Conacher NYI - LW $7 Waiver
    Mikhail Grigorenko Buf - C NA To Waivers
    Ott Man Out Oct 12, 4:47 am

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Boatload of moves in the Campbell on Sunday:

Nathan Horton Cls - RW IR Waiver
    Sam Reinhart Buf - C To Waivers
    The 'Eh' team Oct 19, 3:43 am

Eric Nystrom Nsh - LW Waiver
    Forgotabout thedraft Oct 19, 3:43 am

Jay Harrison Car - D Waiver

Jussi Rynnas Dal - G NA Waiver
    Nathan Beaulieu Mon - D To Waivers
    rattus rattus Oct 19, 3:43 am

Marko Dano Cls - C DTD Waiver
    Jiri Sekac Mon - LW To Waivers
    rattus rattus Oct 19, 3:43 am

Josh Bailey NYI - LW Waiver
    Sean Bergenheim Fla - LW To Waivers
    First Blood Oct 19, 3:43 am

Ryan Garbutt Dal - RW Waiver
    Anders Lee NYI - C NA To Waivers
    First Blood Oct 19, 3:43 am

Brian Boyle TB - C $1 Waiver
    Zemgus Girgensons Buf - C,LW To Waivers
    Last Resort Oct 19, 3:43 am

Devan Dubnyk Ari - G $2 Waiver
    Stephane Robidas Tor - D To Waivers

Simon Gagne Bos - LW $2 Waiver
    Ott Man Out Oct 19, 3:43 am

Mark Stone Ott - RW $3 Waiver
    The Jobbers Oct 19, 3:43 am

Mark Arcobello Edm - C $3 Waiver
    Andrew Cogliano Anh - C,LW To Waivers
    Steam Roller Oct 19, 3:43 am

Jamie McGinn Col - LW $3 Waiver
    Kings Landing Oct 19, 3:43 am

Stuart Percy Tor - D $5 Waiver
    Danny DeKeyser Det - D To Waivers
    Steam Roller Oct 19, 3:43 am

Matt Beleskey Anh - LW $6 Waiver
    Steve Ott StL - C,LW To Waivers
    Savages Oct 19, 3:43 am

Chris Kelly Bos - C $6 Waiver
    2toRuutu2toTootooToo Oct 19, 3:43 am

Colton Sceviour Dal - C $6 Waiver
    Damien Brunner NJ - RW To Waivers
    Serious Chinny Oct 19, 3:43 am

Damon Severson NJ - D $11 Waiver
    Brad Boyes Fla - C,RW To Waivers
    Ott Man Out Oct 19, 3:43 am

Dobber Sports Demi-God

One thing that really impressed me with this league to kick-off the season was the GM activity.
    It may be a good thing to have compressed the PRO leagues into one, because there was a TON of manager activity going after players.
    This is evidenced by the sheer number of teams bidding on a player of value.

16 teams in league.
    11... ELEVEN!... bid on Damon Severson.
    That shows good attention.

A list of BID competition:

Matt Beleskey Anh - LW $6 Winning Bid
    Steam Roller $5 (Outbid)
    Kings Landing $5 (Outbid)
    Serious Chinny $3 (Outbid)
    Suspirria $3 (Outbid)
    First Blood $3 (Outbid)
    Ott Man Out $2 (Outbid)

Stuart Percy Tor - D $5 Winning Bid
    Serious Chinny $2 (Outbid)
    First Blood $0 (Outbid)

Damon Severson NJ - D $11 Winning Bid
    2. Steam Roller $9 (Outbid)
    3. Mustangs $8 (Outbid)
    4. Last Resort $8 (Outbid)
    5. Kings Landing $6 (Outbid)
    6. Forgotabout thedraft $4 (Outbid)
    7. rattus rattus $3 (Outbid)
    8. The Jobbers $3 (Outbid)
    9. Serious Chinny $1 (Outbid)
    10. Suspirria $1 (Outbid)
    11. First Blood $0 (Outbid)

Brian Boyle TB - C $1 Winning Bid
    First Blood $0 (Outbid)

Chris Kelly Bos - C $6 Winning Bid
    Steam Roller $4 (Outbid)
    First Blood $3 (Outbid)
    Forgotabout thedraft $3 (Outbid)
    rattus rattus $2 (Outbid)

Mark Arcobello Edm - C $3 Winning Bid
    First Blood $0 (Outbid)

Jamie McGinn Col - LW $3 Winning Bid
    First Blood $2 (Outbid)
    Suspirria $2 (Outbid)

Simon Gagne Bos - LW $2 Winning Bid
    Steam Roller $0 (Outbid)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Mid-October Standings:

1 Suspirria 106
    2 Last Resort 100.5
    3 Ott Man Out 97
    4 2toRuutu2toTootooToo 95
    4 Edmonton Clowns 95
    6 First Blood 91.5
    7 Goner For Connor 90.5
    8 Kings Landing 83.5
    9 Steam Roller 81
    10 The 'Eh' team 78.5
    11 Serious Chinny 75
    12 rattus rattus 63.5

13 Mustangs 45.5
    14 Savages 43
    15 Forgotabout thedraft 40
    16 The Jobbers 38.5

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    My round-by-round draft synopsis:

Round 6: Thomas Vanek
    In case you hadn't noticed the trend, here it is. HIGH SOG, PLUS TEAM forward playing on PP1.
    Of interesting note here, the 2nd pick in the 6th round was Darcy Kuemper by Ott Man Out. Remember this.

Round 12: Nicklas Backstrom - Goalie #2
    Remember what I said about Darcy Kuemper going in round 6... well, lookee here... round 12 and I got the real #1 goalie (at least until the wheels value off). Value, yes.
    I gave myself a pat on the back because I checked EVERY team in the league knowing most owners do NOT select a 3rd goalie until around 13th round when they've got plenty of D/F.
    Cam Ward and Eddie Lack went not too far after, I felt really good.
    Picking Backstrom was part of my Master Plan for goalies... but there was one more part of that plan left...

Expected finished: 2nd (+/- 2 spots)

Still patting yourself on the back about Backstrom??? I should be careful though and not jinx Kuemper!!!
    12 Team H2H - 3C/3LW/3RW/4D/4BN
    G,A,PPP,PIM,+-,SOG,SHP
    W,GAA,SV%,SO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by holypuck View Post
    Still patting yourself on the back about Backstrom??? I should be careful though and not jinx Kuemper!!!
    No... no... there's definitely been ZERO patting since Minnesota game #1.
    Kuemper had trade negotiation issues in the pre-season and I thought it was a good assumption that MIN would give Backstrom opportunity to be the #1.

As is often the case, I think Backstrom isn't really 100% healthy.
    Even though articles about how Backstrom "strengthened his core" in the off-season certainly lead me down the wrong path.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/275854431.html

This was from Sept 27th... a few days before the draft in this league:
    Niklas Backstrom felt grateful to be back at Xcel Energy Center in good health, joining the Wild for the first practice of its training camp with a renewed body and spirit. Darcy Kuemper didn’t arrive until Friday’s on-ice sessions had ended, but he was relieved his contract negotiations did not delay him any longer.

Tough start for me so far mostly due to goalie issues.
    Gotta fix that.

FWIW, in most leagues... my advice to everybody was to try to late draft the STL, MIN, and/or, ANA duos.
    Anybody that has a solid piece of those goalie tandems is doing just fine.

ps. I missed your team analysis & write-up... where would I find that?
    (I'm feeling anxious to be "return critical" - that was not so nice of you to point that out )

Dobber Sports Ninja

FWIW, in most leagues... my advice to everybody was to try to late draft the STL, MIN, and/or, ANA duos.
    Anybody that has a solid piece of those goalie tandems is doing just fine.
    What do you mean by this?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Updated Standings incl. Nov. 4th Games:

1 Ott Man Out 102.5
    2 Edmonton Clowns 98
    3 Suspirria 95
    4 Last Resort 92.5
    4 2toRuutu2toTootooToo 92.5
    6 Steam Roller 90.5
    6 The 'Eh' team 90.5
    8 Kings Landing 84
    9 Goner for Connor 79.5
    10 Mustangs 72.5
    11 Serious Chinny 71.5
    12 First Blood 71
    13 rattus rattus 52.5
    14 The Jobbers 51
    15 Savages 44
    16 Forgotabout thedraft 36.5

Really awesome league to this point!
    I'd say the top 12 teams all are in contention to compete for the title.

Nice start by Ott Man Out, his 6th round reach on Kuemper has been a gold-coupling with MA Fleury to this point.
    The Clowns are riding beauty stats from Howard/Lu... but will have to contend with a huge injury problem as Cammy, Hall, Lupul, and Spurgeon have all gone down.
    horrorfan's Suspirria team is again providing why hf is "King of the Auto-Draft", riding a Crawford/Hiller (value-draft!) combo to top three.
    temek's Last Resort has Rinne/Andersen - though a few lost starts from Andersen might be troubling, but great value in those two.
    Rounding out the Top 5 is the Kurookookoo (Strange Brew, eh?) team that has Lundqvist/Anderson, but is mostly being propelled from the dynamic Lehtera/Tarasenko combo lately.

Good luck in November boys!!!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Recent big waiver adds in the Campbell:

Seth Griffith Bos - C,RW $9 Waiver
    Martin Havlat NJ - LW,RW IR To Waivers
    First Blood Nov 2, 2:55 am avatar

David Perron Edm - LW,RW $17 Waiver
    Last Resort Nov 2, 2:55 am

Michael Raffl Phi - LW $9 Waiver
    Kings Landing Oct 26

Anders Lee NYI - C,LW $9 Waiver
    Josh Bailey NYI - LW IR To Waivers
    First Blood Oct 26

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would just like to proclaim... that my team DOUBLED it's "win" total last night, November 13th.
    Win for Varlamov.
    Win for N.Backstrom.
    Up to 4 wins for my goalies on the season.
    Woohoo!
    (oh... who am I kidding?... my goalies stink. I blame bondon.)

The Wolverine

I would just like to proclaim... that my team DOUBLED it's "win" total last night, November 13th.
    Win for Varlamov.
    Win for N.Backstrom.
    Up to 4 wins for my goalies on the season.
    Woohoo!
    (oh... who am I kidding?... my goalies stink. I blame bondon.)
    And Hiller still has double your team total. Strange start to the season.

If Kuemper continues to struggle then you might get more value out of Backstrom soon.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    And Hiller still has double your team total. Strange start to the season.

If Kuemper continues to struggle then you might get more value out of Backstrom soon.

Yeah... I hope Backstrom can steal some starts.
    Goalie value is huge in a 16-team league and nobody has excess to part with.
    I was really hoping for a big goalie injury to this part in the season so I could vulture a back-up, but even those guys are gone and McElhinney was just to brutal to touch.

My skaters are pretty stealthy...
    15-12-13.5-12 line right now in G,A,PPP,SOG.
    8 in Hits, but I know I can target that by scheduling.
    3/16 in +/- sitting at -10.
    Yeesh.

Plus/minus... had been my bane to this point.
    Though - probably wasn't too smart of me to roster Tyler Ennis (-10).
    Nick Holden at -13 an Matt Irwin at -8 have been huge disappointments thus far... would've thought having D on COL/SJ would be PLUS guys.
    Nope.

Your team, Suspirria, has been very steady.
    100+pts... in the pack at the top. Four teams over 100pts.

Nice year by Rick Nash.
    Really like your goalies.
    If CGY can hold it together... you've got a shot to win this thing.

Team Kuemper (Ott Man Out) has finally cooled off.
    But now Team Tarasenko/Lehtera (2toRuutu) is heated up and into first.

Still a long season...