Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Bcpl 14/15

Default Re: Bcpl 14/15

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    I generally prefer a "if you don't dress full lineups on a regular basis, you can't pick first overall" approach, but yours would be easier to administer.
    The problem is that someone in a re-build could 'dress a full lineup' of complete bums hahahaha

It also takes the pressure away from you having to check lineups every single day!
    Honestly, there will probably be one person who slacks off this year, let's be honest - would suck for that guy to be GIVEN McDavid ya know!?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The way it sits right now it mimics the actual NHL lottery. Non-playoff teams are assigned corresponding non playoff NHL teams. Whoever wins the NHL lottery moves up according to the NHL draft.

Another option would be to have all of the non playoff teams play a "consolation tournament" for the 1st overall pick while our playoffs are going on. Winner gets 1st overall.

I would be against rewarding "average" as proposed by Dooley. Those bottom 3 teams would be buried for years to come. Being able to dig out of the basement is tough enough. Giving the worst team the 6th overall pick as opposed to 1st or second could keep them there for a LONG time. Generally speaking picks 4-10 are a crapshoot as far as finding a superstar. Finding a serviceable NHL'er sure... but fantasy hockey is not about serviceable NHLers.

I am all for finding a way to prevent "Tanking", but I think we need to give some thought into the best way to go about it without ruining the chance for the weaker teams to eventually compete. Especially given the fact this is a 16 team league. THe separation between 1 and 16 could be very wide by the time trades are made and the season is over.

If a GM is generally inactive that seems to me to be a completely different issue.
    12 Team H2H Keep 15- 25 man Roster- G,A,+/-, PIM, HITS, BLK,GWG,SOG HT, DEF,PPP, SHP, TOI, GAA,GA, WINS,SV, SO,SV%

Forwards- Giroux, Pacioretty, McDavid, Johansen, Landeskog, Yakupov, Barkov, Foligno, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon Kreider, Draisidl, Tervainen, Nelson, Zajac

Defense-Phaneuf, OEL, Rielly, Barrie, Stone, Murray, Beauchemin
    Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot

Farm- D. Strome, M. Marner, J Ortio

Dobber Sports Prodigy

One thing I would propose though while we are talking about it...

Goalies on the farm team - Max of 1, max games played of 82. 144 starts for a goalie could be 5 years in the NHL, and the max of 1 prevents hoarding. My experience, once that happens or starts to happen, it usually gets out of hand.
    12 Team H2H Keep 15- 25 man Roster- G,A,+/-, PIM, HITS, BLK,GWG,SOG HT, DEF,PPP, SHP, TOI, GAA,GA, WINS,SV, SO,SV%

Forwards- Giroux, Pacioretty, McDavid, Johansen, Landeskog, Yakupov, Barkov, Foligno, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon Kreider, Draisidl, Tervainen, Nelson, Zajac

Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I will be blown away (and thankful) if 3 picks miss out on their 1st round pick in a 1st year of a keeper league with a prospect draft. Very puzzling.

Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot

Yahoo runs a consolation I believe but as all of us know, we could easily 'tank' for McDavid.
    You start the wrong guy, throw a goalie in against a red hot bruins team one week, etc etc.

I would be open to running an actual lottery with weighted chances at the picks, like the NHL does.
    We all know the last place team doesn't always get the pick.

There are very easy and honorable ways to generate the picks, even our draft generator would work similarly.

Dobber Sports Icon

I like the idea of a consolation tournament for the 1st overall. Or assigning them actual NHL lottery teams based on corresponding standings.

As far as the idea of prospect goalies, I agree 144 is too high of a number for games played. 82 is much more reasonable. I'm opposed to limiting the number of prospect goalies though. I strongly dislike positional restrictions on keepers even if they are prospects
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I like the idea of a consolation tournament for the 1st overall. Or assigning them actual NHL lottery teams based on corresponding standings.

As far as the idea of prospect goalies, I agree 144 is too high of a number for games played. 82 is much more reasonable. I'm opposed to limiting the number of prospect goalies though. I strongly dislike positional restrictions on keepers even if they are prospects
    That would work!
    However, the NHL rigs the lottery draft don't they haha?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Currently our draft lottery is tied to the draft lottery, for both the main and prospect drafts, starting next season. Being the best at tanking won't guarantee you McDavid, though it will certainly help your chances.

The issue with a consolation tournament is that if I have a middle of the road team that I know is going to miss the playoffs by mid-season, I can just fail my way into the consolation bracket and then all of a sudden start trying and smoke everyone, right?

I am fine with a restriction on goalie GP for the farm if you want to put that to a vote. Do you think it's a big enough deal to vote on this year, when we have a lot going on, or can we live with it and vote on a change for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Currently our draft lottery is tied to the draft lottery, for both the main and prospect drafts, starting next season. Being the best at tanking won't guarantee you McDavid, though it will certainly help your chances.

The issue with a consolation tournament is that if I have a middle of the road team that I know is going to miss the playoffs by mid-season, I can just fail my way into the consolation bracket and then all of a sudden start trying and smoke everyone, right?

I am fine with a restriction on goalie GP for the farm if you want to put that to a vote. Do you think it's a big enough deal to vote on this year, when we have a lot going on, or can we live with it and vote on a change for next year?
    I think we can wait, not a huge deal I don't think. If a farm team goalie is a clear starter most people would call them up anyway, if not oh well!

So we each get assigned an NHL team and draft based on where they do? I love that!

Dobber Sports Master

Maybe if we give each of the bottom eight teams a shot at first overall, then participate in a draft lottery where all 8 of the lowest teams have a weighted shot at #1 overall. I am of the opinion that if a team really wants to tank for one player, then tank away. Deeper keepers, like this one where we keep 16 guys, shouldn't be as profoundly affected by one guy. Having a draft doesn't guarantee that the guy who tanks even gets that player.

I think we should lower the number of games for a "farm" goalie to 80 ( like three seasons as a regular backup ), but if someone wants to have three goalies on their farm, then so be it.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Icon

Still having trouble e-mailing people on Yahoo which is hampering trade talks. Message me on here if you want to work out a deal for Crosby
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

I have had several returned messages. One may have cost me Kessel. Oh well! People wanting to conduct trade with the Bottleneckers 2.0 can PM me on here too.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Have there been changes re: goalies for either prospect or main roster?

Quote Originally Posted by maddysdaddy View Post
    One thing I would propose though while we are talking about it...

Goalies on the farm team - Max of 1, max games played of 82. 144 starts for a goalie could be 5 years in the NHL, and the max of 1 prevents hoarding. My experience, once that happens or starts to happen, it usually gets out of hand.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    Have there been changes re: goalies for either prospect or main roster?
    No. There may be changes in the future, but we'd probably be looking at next offseason if we implement something like that. We have a ton going on as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm beginning to wonder if we should have one, so we can centralize our communication. Email seems to be failing miserably, and Yahoo's forum leaves a lot to be desired. We could document our trades there, and our farm team adds and drops, now that free agents are farm eligible. It would also be a central place to discuss rule changes and the like. PMs would be useful for trade talks, and I just think the whole thing would feel more cohesive if everything is together, instead of scattered in several Google docs, on Yahoo and here.

That said, it would mean everyone has to register, check in regularly, etc.

Are you guys up for that?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Fantrax leagues seem to work nicely without a forum, but on Yahoo it's just been awkward so far.