Thread: Fantasyhockeygeek!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Fantasyhockeygeek!

Hi everyone!

Until this years draft, I've been drafting by a hunch. I've trusted on my instincts and experience. I watch a lot of hockey and my knowledge is at pretty good level and I've had success. But now I am interested in using Fantasyhockeygeek (draft guru) for the first time. I need couple of advices and I'm a little confused...

I have inserted our leagues data (one year H2H league, 12 teams, basic cats, roster: 3C, 5W, 4D, 2G, 6 Bench) and I get the list of players and their values. What are Your principles when using FHG? Do You always take the best player available or how do You fill the positions?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Fantasyhockeygeek!

Quote Originally Posted by Jönde View Post
    Hi everyone!

Until this years draft, I've been drafting by a hunch. I've trusted on my instincts and experience. I watch a lot of hockey and my knowledge is at pretty good level and I've had success. But now I am interested in using Fantasyhockeygeek (draft guru) for the first time. I need couple of advices and I'm a little confused...

I have inserted our leagues data (one year H2H league, 12 teams, basic cats, roster: 3C, 5W, 4D, 2G, 6 Bench) and I get the list of players and their values. What are Your principles when using FHG? Do You always take the best player available or how do You fill the positions?

Thanks!
    Generally, you just use it as a guide to exploiting hidden value. You don't just want to go down the line, drafting based purely on FHG value, but you also don't want to ignore what the charts are telling you. If certain categories are easier to fill, don't put as much weight on players whose value is buoyed by those particular categories. But generally, it's a great tool that's going to help you identify value all through your draft.

Good luck.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

And to add on mounD's advice, let's say it's my turn to draft, it's also about, like you said, going by a hunch when you look at the next 10-15 players available.

Also what I do is after I've generated the HPG rank on an Excel spreadsheet, I create 3-4 columns and add, for example, NHL.com's top 275 fantasy players, Yahoo's, THN's ranking, or another fantasy magazine that I KNOW FOR A FACT other managers use to draft. That way, you can easily follow what list THEY are following. For example: Backstrom. Yahoo ranks him @ 70. Yet, his ADP is far below that. His HPG value is around 15-20ish. Therefore, he might slip on other managers lists. Do the same for guys like Vrbata and Hornqvist.

HPG has the power to generate rankings based on your league settings, which is huge. Personnal opinion and preference, as long as they're not based on favoritism, does also matter.
    Keeper league H2H weekly (12 teams, 22P, 12K)
    9 Skater stats: P, G, +/-, PPG, PPP, GWG, Shots, Hits, BS -- 4 Goalie stats: W, SO, Save%, GAA%
    C: Dubois, Hischier, Patrick
    W: Rakell, Pastrnak, Ferland, Ho-Sang
    D: Dumba, Klingberg, Rielly, Klefbom
    G: Raanta, Grubauer
    Bench: Hart, C. Anderson, Kinkaid, M. Smith, Werenski, Myers, Zadina, Ferland, Ho-Sang,

Dobber Sports Giant

Great article from Thomas Drance: http://hockey.dobbersports.com/Geek-...alue-available
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Generally, you just use it as a guide to exploiting hidden value. You don't just want to go down the line, drafting based purely on FHG value, but you also don't want to ignore what the charts are telling you. If certain categories are easier to fill, don't put as much weight on players whose value is buoyed by those particular categories. But generally, it's a great tool that's going to help you identify value all through your draft.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkb7 View Post
    And to add on mounD's advice, let's say it's my turn to draft, it's also about, like you said, going by a hunch when you look at the next 10-15 players available.

Also what I do is after I've generated the HPG rank on an Excel spreadsheet, I create 3-4 columns and add, for example, NHL.com's top 275 fantasy players, Yahoo's, THN's ranking, or another fantasy magazine that I KNOW FOR A FACT other managers use to draft. That way, you can easily follow what list THEY are following. For example: Backstrom. Yahoo ranks him @ 70. Yet, his ADP is far below that. His HPG value is around 15-20ish. Therefore, he might slip on other managers lists. Do the same for guys like Vrbata and Hornqvist.

HPG has the power to generate rankings based on your league settings, which is huge. Personnal opinion and preference, as long as they're not based on favoritism, does also matter.
    Great advice and very well said. There is not much else to add other than to suggest you read the front page article today re FHG and drafting. It covers a lot of useful information about how best to use the tool as a means to determine value.

Edit: mound beat me to it

Administrator

FHG can't be used as a standalone black box that does everything for you. You have to be able to use it with your own intuition to make productive decisions. It uses the numbers it has (either projection or current/past seasons) but that does not project the future. It does give you an unbiased look at rankings based on the numbers it has though which is always helpful. It teaches you which types of players thrive in your setting which you can then use to start projecting the future.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thank You all for the replys! I read the article and that combined to what you've said strengthens my beliefs