Thread: Take Mantha with 1st pick...am I crazy?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Take Mantha with 1st pick...am I crazy?

Before you panic and call me all kinds of idiot hear me out. League is a limited keeper roto with standard cats plus PIMs, hits, SOG, BS. I've got the #1 pick in the draft. I always like to take a promising rookie with my first pick, preferrably someone who is a year away from the big show. Can't afford to stash anyone for longer than 1 year and expect to remain competitive since it's a limited keeper. I figure Mantha has a good chance to contribute in several categories moving forward (goals, points, PPP, SOG, should be a + player if he plays in top 6, has the size to contribute in hits category even if he's a little soft right now).

Other options include Strome, Teravainen, Gaudreau, Bennett, Draisitl, Reinhart etc.

I love what I've seen from Gaudreau but the size factor is scaring me off...loads of talent but don't see him contributing in some of the other cats across the board.

Appreciate everyone's insight.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Take Mantha with 1st pick...am I crazy?

I'd draft all of the guys you mentioned as available ahead of Mantha aside from Gaudreau.

Dobber Sports Master

Didn't he just break his leg? My guess is you can wait a bit on this prospect before he scooped up in your draft as many GMs may avoid him as they look only at the year ahead and Mantha's eight week absence to start it.

My money would be on Teravainen and Strome if you want sooner than later relevancy, while Bennett, Draisaitl and Reinhart will need more (and probably as much time as Mantha) to mature.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Didn't he just break his leg? My guess is you can wait a bit on this prospect before he scooped up in your draft as many GMs may avoid him as they look only at the year ahead and Mantha's eight week absence to start it.

My money would be on Teravainen and Strome if you want sooner than later relevancy, while Bennett, Draisaitl and Reinhart will need more (and probably as much time as Mantha) to mature.
    Listen to the Bottlenecker - TT or Strome would be good picks in that order
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    Before you panic and call me all kinds of idiot hear me out. League is a limited keeper roto with standard cats plus PIMs, hits, SOG, BS. I've got the #1 pick in the draft. I always like to take a promising rookie with my first pick, preferrably someone who is a year away from the big show. Can't afford to stash anyone for longer than 1 year and expect to remain competitive since it's a limited keeper. I figure Mantha has a good chance to contribute in several categories moving forward (goals, points, PPP, SOG, should be a + player if he plays in top 6, has the size to contribute in hits category even if he's a little soft right now).

Other options include Strome, Teravainen, Gaudreau, Bennett, Draisitl, Reinhart etc.

I love what I've seen from Gaudreau but the size factor is scaring me off...loads of talent but don't see him contributing in some of the other cats across the board.

Appreciate everyone's insight.
    If your first thought is that we might call you an idiot then maybe Mantha isn't the right pick...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

He's not my favourite on that list longterm but I really think Strome is the pick for you here.

Dobber Sports Deity

Teravainen would be my choice for 1st overall.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    I'd draft all of the guys you mentioned as available ahead of Mantha aside from Gaudreau.
    I agree with rainydrinkwater here.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post

+1 for me here.