Thread: Making P.K. money (how long it would take you)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Making P.K. money (how long it would take you)

Fun little article I read in a Montreal daily over the weekend.

How long would it take you to make P.K. Subban money?

Under his most recent contract, P.K. Subban will have made CAD$78M (USD$72M) by 2022.

So, when should you have started working if you had wanted to earn $78M by 2022?

If you are part of the 1%: With an annual income of $205,263 (which in Quebec firmly puts you among the 1%), you would have needed to start working by the year 1642 AD (the same year Montreal was founded).

If you are Joe the Plumber: With an annual income of $44,521 (a few dollars under the average income for Quebec), you would have needed to start working by the year 270 AD (the same year Aurelian was proclaimed Emperor of Rome)

If you work at Wal-Mart: With an annual income of $21,565 (a few dollars over the annualized mimimum wage in Quebec), you would have need to start by year 1595 BC (the same year Babylon was pillaged by the Hittites, remember that one?)

Of course, if you make the US federal mimimum wage, you would have needed to start working around 17,400 BC to be as rich as Miguel Cabrera.

For the record, I'm a fan of PK and the signing, I just thought the info was kind of neat and puts things in perspective.

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Making P.K. money (how long it would take you)

Interesting. This reminds me of a video I watched wherein Neil Degrasse Tyson tries to convey just how rich Bill gates actually is.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I like stuff like this, even though it just makes me realize how crappy my job is. That is INSANE just how big these numbers really are....we kind of lose perspective sometimes I think with all of our talks about cap hits and contracts on these forums.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Deity

Lets just say, I am not part of the 1%.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Good for him. Now the rest of use will need to work some 500 years to get there!

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Fun little article I read in a Montreal daily over the weekend.

How long would it take you to make P.K. Subban money?

Under his most recent contract, P.K. Subban will have made CAD$78M (USD$72M) by 2022.

So, when should you have started working if you had wanted to earn $78M by 2022?

If you are part of the 1%: With an annual income of $205,263 (which in Quebec firmly puts you among the 1%), you would have needed to start working by the year 1642 AD (the same year Montreal was founded).

If you are Joe the Plumber: With an annual income of $44,521 (a few dollars under the average income for Quebec), you would have needed to start working by the year 270 AD (the same year Aurelian was proclaimed Emperor of Rome)

If you work at Wal-Mart: With an annual income of $21,565 (a few dollars over the annualized mimimum wage in Quebec), you would have need to start by year 1595 BC (the same year Babylon was pillaged by the Hittites, remember that one?)

Of course, if you make the US federal mimimum wage, you would have needed to start working around 17,400 BC to be as rich as Miguel Cabrera.

For the record, I'm a fan of PK and the signing, I just thought the info was kind of neat and puts things in perspective.
    Do you have a link for that? I would like to share it with my friends...
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Do you have a link for that? I would like to share it with my friends...
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's available online. It was in last Sunday's edition of "La Presse" (business section) --if you read French, you might check their website in case they've reproduced it. I pulled a few numbers from the article, but they gave a full timeline with tons of examples.

It's really mind boggling. I'm very fortunate to have a very healthy income by ordinary standards, but I'd still have to work for several centuries to approach what he'll make.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I love the perspective on this. Way too much money, but hey, if the market bears it, then it is what it is.

A quick check on the maximum fines the NHL can impose on players, works out to $10,000 for the first offence and $15,000 for subsequent offences. Let's put this into perspective, if a player makes $5M a year and is fined $10K, that is the equivalent to $100 for a guy making $50K per year. Not really a huge incentive to stop doing what is causing the fine. It's like a speeding ticket. If P.K. Subban were to be fined the max, it would be the equivalent of $55.55 for the first offence and $83.33 for subsequent (when compared to the guy making $50K/year).

Sticking with Subban, did you know that he will make $109,756.09 per game for the next eight years? Or, even better, $36,585.36 per PERIOD. He makes more than many people do in a year in 20 minutes (and he only plays 8 mins of that period!).

Just putting things in perspective.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Giant

Awesome read!! Thanks Thunder!

You just made my day... suck even more!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay