Thread: How do you rank LWs?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default How do you rank LWs?

So I was in a mock draft last night and grabbed Hall with my second pick. This generated a conversation. People in this draft believed Hall is not even among the top-3 LW to own, putting him behind guys like Kunitz (who was apparenlty top-10 overall in one guy's league), Benn, Pacioretty etc.

Am I nuts thinking Hall #1 or #2 in the league at that position? I mean, Benn I could see an argument. Pacioretty if you heavily wieght goals I suppose. But how many LWs are out there that score more than a ppg? I count none, outside Hall in the last 2 seasons. How do you rank the LWs? What kind of format is it where Kunitz is top-10 despite putting up only 68 points?
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: How do you rank LWs?

Hall was over a point per game avg last year and he's only going to get better. Not really sure what else your other league GM would be looking for beyond that. Maybe their all spooked by his past injury history.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think the people in that mock draft are idiots and you should ignore anything they say.

Dobber Sports Pro

Hall is by far the best LW in the league for points.

22 years old only and already 2 seasons over PPG.

Jamie Benn is a solid 2nd but he wont reach 90 pts soon like Hall will do.
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Points Only: Hall & Benn are alone in the top tier of LW.
    Multi-Cat: Benn alone in Tier I. Then Tier II: Hall/Kunitz/Sharp/Patches. If eligible Duchene is there too.

Kunitz finished last season as the #11 forward in standard Yahoo! multi-cat, which evenly weights 6 categories: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG.
    Kunitz is a beast in PIM and +/-. A category is a category... and people often forget this with those categories.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I think the people in that mock draft are idiots and you should ignore anything they say.
    I agree with this statement right here.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

With your stats Hall should be close to #1 for LWs so he's a good second round pick for sure.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Kunitz is a beast in PIM and +/-. A category is a category... and people often forget this with those categories.
    Guilty of this myself with +/-. Too unpredictable for me, I like to see if I can nail down the other categories and sort of resign myself to losing on +/-. TBH it hasn't done me wrong in my multi-cat pool, but maybe I'm just lucky.

With Kunitz specifically, I just sort of feel like he's gonna be 35 and he's due to take a step back. And because he's so reliant on Crosby, there's a double-whammy of injury risk--Kunitz is not going to generate top-LW-great numbers without Crosby.

Thanks for the input on multi-cat, didn't realize he was so high last year.
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Points Only: Hall & Benn are alone in the top tier of LW.
    Multi-Cat: Benn alone in Tier I. Then Tier II: Hall/Kunitz/Sharp/Patches. If eligible Duchene is there too.

Kunitz finished last season as the #11 forward in standard Yahoo! multi-cat, which evenly weights 6 categories: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG.
    Agree. Look at the small categories that make up the big picture or risk missing out on the big prize!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Agree regarding Hall and Benn leading the way respectively for LW. But if Ovie shifts back over...does he reclaim LW supremacy?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Agree regarding Hall and Benn leading the way respectively for LW. But if Ovie shifts back over...does he reclaim LW supremacy?
    I'd have to assume so. Ovi is usually pretty great right across the board, and has the highest upside of all of them for goals and assists--in the right circumstances there's no reason he couldn't chase 100 points again. He'd win G, PPP, and SOG hands-down, while challenging the other LWs on PIM & A, too. Everyone focuses on his terrible +/- from last year and forgets he's been a +45 once, too. That was a product of a year of failed strategy on Oates' part affecting the entire team--even Backstrom was a -20 last year, why are all the team's best players so deep in a +/- hole all of a sudden? I figure Ovi easily has a a shot at a positive +/-. Probably lower than Benn's but it depends on how Trotz works the team.
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:

Where would you guys throw Parise?

Benn
    Hall
    Kunitz/Pavelski
    Patches/Duchene
    Parise?