Thread: Top 5 players for the league in sig

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Top 5 players for the league in sig

Hey guys im just trying to get an idea of each players value to see if the opinions on here match mine.

Who would you guys rank top 5 in this league for

G A P PIMS HITS BLOCKS SOG
    Multi-Cat League G,A,P, PIMS,HITS,BLKS, SOG, PPP, GAA, Sv%, Wins
    15 Team Dynasty Salary cap league using AAV
    Active: 12 FWDS 6 Defence 2 Goalies
    Bench: 5
    Farm: 10

F: Larkin, Zibanejad, Gaudreau, Tavares, Laine, Lafreniere, Suzuki, Dach, Comtois, Glass, Zadina, Villardi, Mittlestadt, Virtanen, Saad
    D: Chychrun, Sergachev, Dumba, Ty Smith, OEL, Dermott, Brodie
    G:Rittich, Quick, Cal Petersen, Desmith

Farm: Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, Podkolzin, Gunler, Drysdale, Byram, Askarov, Ukko-pekka Lukkonen, Dustin Wolf

2021 rookie Draft:: 4 1st rd picks

2022 draft: 6 1st rd picks

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Top 5 players for the league in sig

Ovechkin
    Subban
    Backes
    Stamkos
    Crosby/Getzlaf

Dobber Sports Star

Crosby
    Ovechkin
    Stamkos
    Malkin
    Giroux
    Getzlaf/Benn

No salary considerations.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Ovechkin
    Subban
    Backes
    Stamkos
    Crosby/Getzlaf
    you have subban over karllson?? really, i had karllson in his own tier for d-men with maybe weber up there

F: Larkin, Zibanejad, Gaudreau, Tavares, Laine, Lafreniere, Suzuki, Dach, Comtois, Glass, Zadina, Villardi, Mittlestadt, Virtanen, Saad

Farm: Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, Podkolzin, Gunler, Drysdale, Byram, Askarov, Ukko-pekka Lukkonen, Dustin Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Crosby
    Ovechkin
    Stamkos
    Malkin
    Giroux

Weber
    Backes
    Subban
    Phaneuf (yes Phaneuf)
    Karlsson

First five are because of their high end point scoring ability and the second five because their probably the best all around

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by distantyeti58 View Post
    you have subban over karllson?? really, i had karllson in his own tier for d-men with maybe weber up there
    hits and pims, baby.

Dobber Sports Star

hits and pims, baby.
    I'm in the camp that believes hits and pims are better left for later on, and high picks should be used first and foremost on elite point-getters. In the early rounds hits and pims should be considered bonuses or tie-breakers in my opinion.

Subban and Backes are no doubt valuable in your league, but there is no way I would take them before Crosby et al.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

there is no way i take backes before crosby no but thats only because of crosbys perceived value and trade value, i feel crosby is over valued in this league set up because he contributes in 4 categories and is elite in 2 ( points and assist) where as backes contributes to every category, and is above average in every category, plus since my sig is a cap league crosby is like 8.7 mil, compared to backes at 4.5, but without cap they are very close but most of the leagues i am in are cap so i try and stay away from the superstars like crosby malkin stammer and focus more on guys like ovechkin ( although hes a bit pricy), perry, getzlaf ( for more expensive guys) and guys like simmonds and perron and schenn for cheaper contributors

Dobber Sports Sage

hits and pims, baby.
    I think there is a general misconception that PK dominates in the PIMs, hits and blocks department - he doesn't - at least not much more than the rest of the top end dmen.

In 2013-2014 season he had 13 more hits and 14 more blocks than Karlsson (who a lot of people look at as a soft dman - he actually covers the peripherals quite nicely) - Karlsson, by the way, had 21 more points than PK. While Shea Weber (had 1 more point and) had 34 more hits and 48 more blocked shots than PK.

Now I'm not saying 81 PIMs, 135 hits and 125 blocks are low numbers - but he doesn't dominate those categories enough to warrant taking him in the top 5. There will be enough guys to grab at the end of the draft that can fill those stats for you if need be.

Now, all that being said... here is my top 10 (after Ovechkin and Sid it gets close) but in a league with your scoring categories the big name bruisers are valuable:

Ovechkin
    Crosby
    Getzlaf
    Benn
    Perry
    Backes
    Malkin
    Giroux
    Stamkos
    Weber

Without FOWs and with hits and PIMs guys like Tavares, Malkin (who could be right under Crosby if he didn't have bandaid boy status) and Giroux lose a bit of ground to Getzlaf and Benn here. I think Ovy is the clear #1, Crosby is at #2 because there is a high chance he ends up producing 10-15 more points than everyone else, Getzlaf is a beast in this format along with Benn, Perry and Backes who are right behind him for me. Weber would be my #1 D here, Karlsson and PK right behind and Byfuglien close behind them (if he keeps his D status).

Good luck with your team!
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Titan

I’m going to do a quick top 5
    Crosby (points, shots, name weight)
    Ovi (Hits, shots, goals)
    Stammer (Hits, shots, goals. He’ll have 100+ hits this yr)
    Perry (shots, goals)
    Malkin (name weight, ceiling)

Now the most useful players:
    Crosby (easy)
    Ovi (SOG, HITS)
    Weber (50+pts, 200+shots, HITS, and BLOCKS)
    Karlsson/PK (60-70pts, 200+SOG, comparable HITS and BLOCKS)
    Big Byf (forward stats on your D slot)

Now I’ll do some quick comparison’s:
    PK<Karlsson. Karlsson isn’t a wash on defense now. He’s worked on his game and uses his stick very effectively. He also taps a guy and the stats guy give him the hit because he’s Karlsson. With blocks he’s able to stick close to forwards because he’s so fast, so when they shoot the puck, it’s not going full speed yet when the puck hits Karlsson. When talking about Defense the top tier is still just Karlsson

Benn>Backes. Backes is a periph stud because he puts up a healthy amount of points (50-60). However, in a league that doesn’t count FW, he loses so much value. His RW status is so nice to have when he’s putting up 10FW a game. Benn now hits, and scores. The bang for your buck, I’ll take Benn 2nd round and a low 2nd tier scorer 3rd round. Neither are my top 5 or even top 10 tho.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by distantyeti58 View Post
    Hey guys im just trying to get an idea of each players value to see if the opinions on here match mine.

Who would you guys rank top 5 in this league for

G A P PIMS HITS BLOCKS SOG
    By the pure numbers, Shoeless answer is most accurate.
    If you call a Category a Category and value them equally, then guys like PK and Backes are going to shake out very high.
    (This is the sort of result you'll find if you use a tool like FHG).

The hardest thing is knowing your league GMs.

Here's an example.
    Each category, say, should be weighted equally... assign 1000 "points" to each category.
    Now, if Sidney Crosby has 50 assists... and all the counting players total for 5,000 assists, then Crosby has 1% of all counting assists... worth 1% of 1000 "points" ASSISTS = 10pts.

Now, a guy like David Backes may have 250 hits... and if all counting players total for 25,000 hits, then Backes has 1% of counting hits... worth 1% of 1000 "points" in HITS = 10pts.

But poolies, in general, are "scoring-centric" thinkers.
    90% of poolies aren't usinG FHG and don't have their own spreadsheets.

The extremely hard part is then wrapping your brain around this information and figuring out what to do with it.

Thought concept #1: If GMs in my league don't draft Blocks, then I should draft Blocks to "corner that market".
    Thought concept #2: If GMs in my league don't draft Blocks, then I shouldn't draft Blocks either because I'll fall behind in the other categories that I'm not drafting.

Shoeless & I and a few other smart cookies do a ROTO league together.
    Last year (and most years), I target the high quantity categories of PIM, Hits, Blocks, FOW... because I know one truth: If I draft them, I'll win them.
    And I did... top 3 finish in each of those.

The problem is that many other teams in my league were scoring-centric, drafting a lot of PPP, SOG, scoring.
    I finished near last in PPP & A and lost my shot at competing with the top two. (Finished 3rd).

The point here... is that you sort of have to draft with the masses... and not stray too far from the flock.
    If your league is not drafting a ton of Blocks, you shouldn't draft a ton. Try to draft a bit more than average, but no need to dominate a category.

For your league, you are rostering 12F/6D.
    The "depth defense" positions aren't going to be scoring. Your strategy builds from knowing this truth.
    If your depth defense are not high-scorers... then prepare to draft them for what they ARE good for: PIM, HITS, BLKS.
    These guys are available late in a draft and ARE plentiful. So prepare to fill your defense at the end of the draft.
    (I filled all 5 of my D in a 5D roto league two years ago with my last 5 picks. I finished 2nd, holding 1st for majority of season. This strategy works, until your leaguemates are also hip to it.)
    I'd draft your last 3 or 4D slots purely for these categories.

Now, knowing that these categories are taken care of with that strategy, it means you can focus your main draft (forwards and top 2 D) on offense.

Which basically puts you back to a standard league "thinking":
    1. Crosby
    2. Ovechkin
    3. Stamkos
    4. Malkin
    5. Giroux
    6. Tavares

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

thanks pengwin, that response was very useful and i will put it to use in my next draft, now i am in a few keepers so should i base the same thing on trades, for example IMO if i was trading for players to help me win and not worried so much about trade value or name value i would be tempted to take someone like benn over crosby, benn is cheaper for salary and produces more to all the categories whereas crosby specializes in scoring but doesnt really contribute to hits, pims or blocks ( but not many forwards really contribute to blocks so i designate those for d-men

Dobber Sports Apprentice

thanks everyone for their responses am working on giving out rep but may have to wait another 24 hours

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm in a multi catagory SIG and in all honesty, Getzlaf doesn't get enough love here....He's been a top 3 multi catagory forward for the last 3 years who shines in every category.
    Rotissery STATS: points per category
    Stakers:G /A /+/- /PIM /SOG /GWG /PPP /SHP /Hit /Blk
    Goalie:W / SV% / SHO / PIM / G /A /PPP
    Starting Rosters: 12F / 6D / 2G and 3 bench
    15 Team - NHL Salary Cap (Current)
    8 keepers per team.

Forwards

Defence

Goalie
    Rask - Fleury

BENCH:

IR:

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by diehardpooler91 View Post
    I'm in a multi catagory SIG and in all honesty, Getzlaf doesn't get enough love here....He's been a top 3 multi catagory forward for the last 3 years who shines in every category.
    The good poolies know that Getz is a stud.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO