Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Ladies and Gentlemen

Asking me if you should trade this player for that return; or who should you draft next; or who should you keep - but you don't fully disclose your league set-up - is like blindfolding me and taking me into a room I have never been in before and asking me what color the walls are.

Banned

Default Re: Ladies and Gentlemen

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Asking me if you should trade this player for that return; or who should you draft next; or who should you keep - but you don't fully disclose your league set-up - is like blindfolding me and taking me into a room I have never been in before and asking me what color the walls are.
    So should I paint my den or do you like it the way it is now man?

Dobber Sports Deity

Sounds like fun!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

73% of residential walls are white or some variation of off-white.
    91% of people see the colour black when they are asked what colour they see with their eyes closed.

The answer here is white or black.
    Edumacated Guesses for $100, Alex.

And now... some celebrity jeopardy:

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    73% of residential walls are white or some variation of off-white.
    Speaking of, do you guys like the off-white/beige that is so common, or are you into a bit of colour on your walls? I love some muted colours with white trim that makes the colours pop, but my girlfriend hates that and insists that she'll want neutral walls when we eventually get married and buy a house...

Anyway, yes, include league info, people. To leave it out lengthens the process, some people will ignore the post entirely, and you waste time that could be spent getting the proper help that you require.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Speaking of, do you guys like the off-white/beige that is so common, or are you into a bit of colour on your walls? I love some muted colours with white trim that makes the colours pop, but my girlfriend hates that and insists that she'll want neutral walls when we eventually get married and buy a house...

Anyway, yes, include league info, people. To leave it out lengthens the process, some people will ignore the post entirely, and you waste time that could be spent getting the proper help that you require.
    I was a professional painter in my younger years before I decided what I wanted to be when I grew up. The biggest take away was in learning the importance of color, finish and lighting. I also have a good friend who does interior design for the stars so he's given tons of advice over the years. Here's some tips:

1)you can get away with a lot more on the exterior of a house than the interior...if done right, you can rock a purple house, but not a purple room
    2)always paint your ceiling lighter than your walls, always...in fact your only choice for ceiling color should be white or 'other' white. Also always use flat paint on the celing, it hides imperfections and prevents glare from the lights.
    3)in your main living areas you want to go neutral, off-whites, beige's, sometimes grey. You want neutral colors on the walls that don't clash with furniture or artwork. Think what a gallery looks like in a museum, if the walls were painted bright red it would only detract from the art. Look around your house or apt and consider the colors you have. For example everything in my living room is black or dark brown (tv, electronics, entertainment center, coffee table, bookcases) so a beige wall with white trim looks awesome and adding color with chairs, pillows, sofa, etc will work seamlessly.
    4)If you want to add color to your home, go for the kitchen or bedroom. Blue is a soothing color, works well in a bedroom where you spend most of your time sleeping or at least relaxing/unwinding. In a kitchen you want it to feel warm and homey, try something with some yellow in it (you don't need a ton) it will brighten up the room and it soaks up natural sunlight.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I was a professional painter in my younger years before I decided what I wanted to be when I grew up. The biggest take away was in learning the importance of color, finish and lighting. I also have a good friend who does interior design for the stars so he's given tons of advice over the years. Here's some tips:

1)you can get away with a lot more on the exterior of a house than the interior...if done right, you can rock a purple house, but not a purple room
    2)always paint your ceiling lighter than your walls, always...in fact your only choice for ceiling color should be white or 'other' white. Also always use flat paint on the celing, it hides imperfections and prevents glare from the lights.
    3)in your main living areas you want to go neutral, off-whites, beige's, sometimes grey. You want neutral colors on the walls that don't clash with furniture or artwork. Think what a gallery looks like in a museum, if the walls were painted bright red it would only detract from the art. Look around your house or apt and consider the colors you have. For example everything in my living room is black or dark brown (tv, electronics, entertainment center, coffee table, bookcases) so a beige wall with white trim looks awesome and adding color with chairs, pillows, sofa, etc will work seamlessly.
    4)If you want to add color to your home, go for the kitchen or bedroom. Blue is a soothing color, works well in a bedroom where you spend most of your time sleeping or at least relaxing/unwinding. In a kitchen you want it to feel warm and homey, try something with some yellow in it (you don't need a ton) it will brighten up the room and it soaks up natural sunlight.
    I can't believe I actually sat here and just read this entire post.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Haha, I totally did, too. Good tips, mcgoo, thanks!

Dobber Sports Stud

I did too and actually excellent tips.

BTW you guys crack me up, made me day
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    But now don't you feel more in touch with your artistic side? Your inner Martha Stewart?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    But now don't you feel more in touch with your artistic side? Your inner Martha Stewart?
    LOL! As long as the wife doesnt see it and get any ideas about painting, I am good!

Dobber Sports Stud

Let's get back to the OP concerning the level of newbies on here asking for help aimlessly...
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm actually taking notes, haha thanks mcgoo!
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    Let's get back to the OP concerning the level of newbies on here asking for help aimlessly...
    Here's a tip.

Use the "search" option before even posting your questions. Good chance a lot of names they are asking about have already been brought up.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Good point, Axe - but I would never discourage folks from asking - it's a learning process for them and probably for others who are reading as well.

In the case of new forum users, I think very often there is a misguided belief that the forum members understand completely, what the poster is looking at in their league (because they don't see anything else themselves) and so a simple question seems appropriate. It takes a bit of a shift to understand that what they see needs to be described in the post, so that we are all seeing the same thing and can respond in depth if we so choose. Taking the time to complete a signature that sets out the desirable information is a good way to avoid having to explain in detail each time. More than one team - no problem, either add another team to the signature or prep the signature in a word processor for each team and cut a paste a different signature in that relates to the team in question.

There is another side to this, as well. Many folks respond to queries without having the league information and fair ball if they do, but you have to know that those responses are not really research based. So I question the quality of the response. Unfortunately there is a lot of that lately with guys busy running up their post counts.

Anyway, just saying that if I personally get all the details, I will do my best to provide a researched or at least a very analytical response to the questions being asked.