Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Give up Getzlaf for RNH and two 1st Rounders (2014 and 2015)... No right?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Give up Getzlaf for RNH and two 1st Rounders (2014 and 2015)... No right?

Coming off a pretty darn good 2nd place showing despite having Rinne most of the year and losing Tavares during the 2nd half.

This year I've turned Rinne into Bobrovsky and Tavares is back and healthy.

However, in previous thread's I'm expressed my interest and opportunity to corner the draft for 2015 (McDavid Year).

I've bounced around a couple offers with the existing last place team in my league and he's come back with the following...

I give my C - Getzlaf
    and
    I get his C - RNH, 1st round pick in 2014 (currently the 2nd over all pick) and 1st round pick in 2015 Dependent on where he finishes but his team, even with Getz isn't all the strong so probably a bottom 5 finish.

This move will give me back th 1st rounder that I lack this year and end up with my holding 3 of 12 1st round picks in 2015.

The picks are all fine and dandy, but my Gut says... losing Getzlaf (even if I replace with RNH) is a HUGE risk to MAYBE land McDavid next year.

My Keepers post move would be
    C - Tavares, RNH, Kuznetsov (LW eligible)
    L - Hall, JVR, Kunitz
    R - Perry, Eberle
    D - Karlsson, OEL, Ehrhoff and Rielly
    G - Bob, Crawford

1st rounder 2014 and 3 1st rounders in 2015

No thanks... RIGHT?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Give up Getzlaf for RNH and two 1st Rounders (2014 and 2015)... No right?

look I know that everyone is huge on the McDavid bandwagon and everything but I just don't get it to be honest

I have had Crosby in a league for years and I have not won ever single year, is this guy supposed to be that much better than Crosby

I mean are we talking Gretzky type production in a depressed scoring era

I read post after post about GMs giving up real value for a get hit by lightning chance to draft a single player

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Give up Getzlaf for RNH and two 1st Rounders (2014 and 2015)... No right?

I can see both sides of your argument, but if it was me I would probably do it. RNH and Getz could be pretty close soon and RNH is still a kid, plus you nail down some picks on the big draft even if you get 2nd overall you get that american kid Eichel(sp?).
    ***2014/2017 Points only League Champion***
    Our league is a 10 team, 12 player keeper. Weekly H2H
    Points only. Dress - 4 LW 4 C 4 RW 6 D 2 G
    Weight - G= 2 A= 1 Hatty =3 W = 2 So=3 OTL=1
    Keepers - Giroux, Ovechkin, Backstrom(C), Tarasenko, Malkin, Wheeler, -- Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo -- Rask, Schneider, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

How in an 11 team league do you end up holding 3 of 12 first round picks?

Anyway, I kinda half like this offer you got. You get way younger, the gap between RHN and Getzlaf is going to steadily decrease in the next two seasons and the possibility of converting Getz into RHN and McDavid? I think I would give it a shot.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    look I know that everyone is huge on the McDavid bandwagon and everything but I just don't get it to be honest

I have had Crosby in a league for years and I have not won ever single year, is this guy supposed to be that much better than Crosby

I mean are we talking Gretzky type production in a depressed scoring era

I read post after post about GMs giving up real value for a get hit by lightning chance to draft a single player
    So you're saying "no" ... correct? As expected. ( I do suspect this will be unanimous, even with landing an RNH) ...

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't think it's a bad offer for Getzlaf but it's a risky one. RNH could easily break out this year, or he could spend a bunch of time on the DL and you will be whacking your head against a wall. The 2015 pick is flat out a gamble if you are shooting your load for McDavid. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of quality prospects coming in 2015 but really, how far away are they from offering something to your roster other than shiney prospects in your minors.

As I say, I don't think it's a bad offer but I think I would want a bit more on the "known" end when it comes to assets if I am dealing away Getzlaf.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Seeing the strength of your squad, i assume you are in win now mode. I think RNH is poised to have a better year, but its tough to say yes on a deal like this as you are not guaranteed to get McDavid. If i were rebuilding yup.. sure... done. As the OGM finished last, perhaps you can offer enough mid tier players to help him build a roster / see value and not have to give up Getzlaf. I would just worry that he does well enough to finish out of the top 3-4 picks and you moved Getz for a bunch of role / development type players.
    12 Team Keeper (keep 14)
    G,A,+/-,PIMS, GWG, W,SA, SO

C - Seguin, Monahan, RNH
    RW - Mackinnon, Duchene, Hornqvist
    LW -Hoffman, Marleau, Panik,
    D - Fowler, Hedman, Ristolainen, Barrie, Klefbom, Goligoski
    Util - Coyle, Tatar, Little, Ladd,
    Goalie - Rask, Varly
    , Grubauer, Forsberg, Bobby Lou

2013/2014 League Champion

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    So you're saying "no" ... correct? As expected. ( I do suspect this will be unanimous, even with landing an RNH) ...
    yeah, I feel I will be in the minority but I will be going no on this one

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Stud

In your position, Getzlaf is a big chunk to lose... As you said, your team is set up to win now and you even made transactions to bolster your chances.
    Trading Getzlaf for this type of return would be counter-productive imo. You don't have any assurance to land McDavid + that 2015 1st pick is way too early to predict.
    Add the fact that Getzlaf dominates RNH in most of your cats (especially +-) and that the young centre hasn't shown that he can be in that same elite category...
    It's a no for me, I would want a better player than RNH personally. I'd be willing to drop the 2015 pick if needed.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    How in an 11 team league do you end up holding 3 of 12 first round picks?

Anyway, I kinda half like this offer you got. You get way younger, the gap between RHN and Getzlaf is going to steadily decrease in the next two seasons and the possibility of converting Getz into RHN and McDavid? I think I would give it a shot.
    lol... good question. landing the picks Took some doing...

Last year ... expecting that this draft year was going to suck (usually does when we expand and this year we added team #12). So I approached the 2nd last place team about a flip of 1st rounders. Gave him mine this year for his next year as such... I get 2 2015 1st rounders. I expect mine to be pretty far back as I expect to compete this year, and I also expect the other guys pick to be bottom 3 after this year.

And the 3rd 1st rounder would be from the GM who I'm in talks with presently to land RNH and his 2015 1st rounder... (LAST PLACE this year... and while he'd get a boost from Getzlaf... not sure he has the fire power to climb the ladder much further).

His team looks like this.
    C - RNH, Couture
    L - Sharp, Saad
    R - R. Smith, Franzen
    D - Trouba, Jones, Franson, Wiz
    G - Smith, Anderson, Khudobin
    U - Hertl, or Scheifle

Flip out RNH for my Getz. DOes he really get that much better? More importantly...do I get much worse?

Administrator

I'm in the "flags fly forever" camp so I really have a tough time giving up the best player in a deal when I'm a contender.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

A little surprised that the scales seem balanced here. I honestly thought most would say Getz >> RNH now and who knows about the future and while the picks are nice, they are simply that... picks of players not yet on my team.

Hmmm. Keep it coming.

Dobber Sports Pro

you have damn strong keepers and should be a top 3 team with Getz or RNH.
    I would take the offer but not for the chance to get McDavid.
    Having all those (perceived) valuable picks gives you plenty of options at trade deadline should you need to address any area of weakness.
    There's no guarantee you'll be able to draft McDavid but if the 2015 pick ends up being top 2 it's a nice little bonus for you.
    Getz is the best player in the deal but you'll still have a strong team if you swap him with RNH.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Wizard

I just don't see the upside of RNH to be any more than that of Getz right now, not sure the point of waiting a few years to get there when you are competing right now

past 4 years combined Getz is 8th in total points and at about a PPG, unless somehow RNH is expected to be a much better multi-cat producer I just am not sure I see how they are currently as close as some are claiming

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Icon

How many players do you have on the active roster? This will greatly impact the decision on this deal because the actual trade would be

Getzlaf + waiver wire pickup for RNH + 1st round pick for this year as well as a 1st round pick for next season.

The question to ask yourself is what is the difference between the player you will be able to draft in the first round vs the player you will be able to acquire on the waiver wire. If the difference between those 2 is enough to close the gap between Getzlaf and RNH, then the deal makes sense because you are not getting any weaker for this season while getting better for next year.

Unless I am reading your team signature incorrectly and you only actually dress 14 players and you keep them all in which case, ignore this post completely.