Thread: Help Me Understand - Yandle or Dillon

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Help Me Understand - Yandle or Dillon

I realize the question of "Yandle or Dillon?" seems like a simple one where 9 out of 10 responses would probably say Yandle. However, in a multi-cat league where the scoring cats for skaters are G ,A , +/-, PIM, Blocks, and Hits, shouldn't the decision be a little harder? All scoring cats are weighted the same.

Does it come down to the fact that PIM, Blocks, and Hits are easier to find than a D-man who will give you 55 points? Just trying to better understand the logic. Thanks.
    [size=1]13 Team Keeper - Hold 10 (1 G max) - Hold salary dictates draft pick forfeited
    Scoring Cats (Equally Weighted): G,A,+/-,PIM,Hits,Blks,W,GAA,SV%
    Start 9F,5D,2G
    F: M.Tkachuk,B.Tkachuk,Svechnikov,Meier,J.Hughes,McTa vish,Jarvis,Johnston, Keller,Tuch,Crouse,Knies
    D: Heiskanen,LeTang,Sergachev,Power,Trouba,Provorov,M intyukov
    G: Helleybuck,Vasilevskiy,Jarry,Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Help Me Understand - Yandle or Dillon

short answer is yes, G/A/PPP are the critical categories and Yandle is elite in those. Also factor in trade value, where again Yandle is far superior, you could essentially trade Yandle for 2 or 3 Dillon's on perceived value.

I am in agreement with you that this set-up is not to Yandles strengths though, so I probably would look to move him, but if you have to keep one or the other its an easy choice.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    I realize the question of "Yandle or Dillon?" seems like a simple one where 9 out of 10 responses would probably say Yandle. However, in a multi-cat league where the scoring cats for skaters are G ,A , +/-, PIM, Blocks, and Hits, shouldn't the decision be a little harder? All scoring cats are weighted the same.

Does it come down to the fact that PIM, Blocks, and Hits are easier to find than a D-man who will give you 55 points? Just trying to better understand the logic. Thanks.
    For me, this says it all. Finding D who can consistently give you 50+pts is a hell of a lot harder than it is finding a guy who contributes from the back end on the hits and blocks cats. It really is that easy for me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Yes exactly. The holy grail is a scoring D who also gives those secondary stats too. Phaneuf is a great example, even only scoring 35-40 pts he is such a beast in the other categories that he's more valuable than higher scoring guys like Yandle. Weber is probably the best to own because he excels at them all. But in your case it probably makes sense to keep Yandle for his scoring and you can easily pick up a Hits/Blocks guy for fairly cheap.
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks....also complicating things is that because of salary, I can keep Yandle for 1 year while I can keep Dillon for 5 years. However, I have players like RNH, Barkov, Galchenyuk and Yak who may be better options than both D-men in that case. Trading Yandle seems unlikely at this point.
    [size=1]13 Team Keeper - Hold 10 (1 G max) - Hold salary dictates draft pick forfeited
    Scoring Cats (Equally Weighted): G,A,+/-,PIM,Hits,Blks,W,GAA,SV%
    Start 9F,5D,2G
    F: M.Tkachuk,B.Tkachuk,Svechnikov,Meier,J.Hughes,McTa vish,Jarvis,Johnston, Keller,Tuch,Crouse,Knies
    D: Heiskanen,LeTang,Sergachev,Power,Trouba,Provorov,M intyukov
    G: Helleybuck,Vasilevskiy,Jarry,Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Guru

Yes this is it.

Also keep in mind that Yandle likely will not be as poor in +/- again as he was last year. Yandle had 63 PIM to Dillon's 86 last year so he isn't far off in that cat and his Blocks were a respectable 105 compared to Dillon's 149. So really the only cat where Dillon really trumps Yandle is Hits and Yandle's offensive production more than makes up for that in my opinion. Add in the fact that Yandle's trade value is probably far higher and he is an easy choice over Dillon.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    short answer is yes, G/A/PPP are the critical categories and Yandle is elite in those. Also factor in trade value, where again Yandle is far superior, you could essentially trade Yandle for 2 or 3 Dillon's on perceived value.

I am in agreement with you that this set-up is not to Yandles strengths though, so I probably would look to move him, but if you have to keep one or the other its an easy choice.
    This is wrong IMO. Saying you can trade 1 Yandle for 2 or 3 Dillons is only correct when you are playing with idiots who don't understand who's valuable in your particular pool. You should be participating in a pool with clever enough GMs to see the value in all players pertaining to your specific catagories or whats the point of actually playing fantasy hockey? If catagories are weighted a certain way Dillon could actually be worth more than Yandle and most GMs should be picking up on this situation.
    While Yandle MAY ACTUALLY be worth 2 or 3 times more STAT wise in YOUR particular pool, my point stands that GMs of good pools know where the value lies related to your stat catagories in all the players.
    14 team keeper Sim league
    40 player 100 year cap,
    C: Giroux, Barzal, Getzlaf, Koivu
    LW: Schenn, Labanc, Neal, Mikeyev, Benn
    RW: Voracek, Kucherov, Wheeler, Garland, Burakovsky
    D: Keith, Weber, Suter, Edler, E. Johnson, Stralman, Cernak
    G: Raanta, Korpisalo, Miller,

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nyr36 View Post
    This is wrong IMO. Saying you can trade 1 Yandle for 2 or 3 Dillons is only correct when you are playing with idiots who don't understand who's valuable in your particular pool. You should be participating in a pool with clever enough GMs to see the value in all players pertaining to your specific catagories or whats the point of actually playing fantasy hockey? If catagories are weighted a certain way Dillon could actually be worth more than Yandle and most GMs should be picking up on this situation.
    While Yandle MAY ACTUALLY be worth 2 or 3 times more STAT wise in YOUR particular pool, my point stands that GMs of good pools know where the value lies related to your stat catagories in all the players.
    I get your point, but there's no way that Yandle and Dillon are equal even if their statistical output in a given category setup is the same.

Like everyone else said: Hits and PIMs are FAR easier to get on the back end compared to offensive production of Yandle's pedigree.

IMO, Dillon's fantasy value would have to be excessively higher than Yandle's in a given league for me to consider that deal straight up.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Wizard

A high-scoring defender is much much more valuable than a defender that contributes hits/blocks/PIM. Those types of guys can be found pretty easily, although for sure Dillon is towards the top of the list for those guys. But there are only a handful of defenders capable of regularly pushing 50+, and Yandle is one of them.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Administrator

I'd add to this conversation that the ultimate goal should be to find a defenseman capable of scoring 55+ points AND producing those hits/blocks/etc. that deliver added value. The odds of you trading into one of those guys are slim because there are so few out there but it's the guy who scores 55+ points and doesn't have much peripheral value that is more likely to get you that upgrade than a hits/blocks guy.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg