Thread: Fantasy Hockey Geek: Stat Category Weights

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Fantasy Hockey Geek: Stat Category Weights

Quick question for you Fantasy Hockey Geek users.

If a league you are in uses something like Shorthanded Assists - would you suggest using the Edit Stat Category Weights section to drop down the importance of a stats like that, or does the Fantasy Hockey Geek tool already take that into consideration (I assume it does not).

If so, how much of a percentage would you consider dropping a stat like that? Down to 10%, or maybe even less?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Fantasy Hockey Geek: Stat Category Weights

Anyone? Interested in what I should be thinking here.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I had my own formula to find the value of each player in my league. I could weight the different categories. I set most of the categories at 100% but I always set SHP at 25%. SHP are so rare that it's really not worth goning after a particular player just to get SHP.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Ninja

Almost wonder if it's best to just drop it from the equation all together. Game Winning goals are similar, except that they do provide a slight edge to goal scorers, so maybe set it at like 10%?

Dobber Sports Star

If you're in a Category Totals style league (robo, weekly category H2H) it's done automatically and you don't have the option to manually tweak it. Our calculations already put all the categories on even footing and down-weight the volatile ones like SHP, GWG , etc.

If you're in a fantasy points style league (for example G=2, A=1, etc) then you should just input the points your league assigns. We already adjust for volatility.

If you have a category totals league, be absolutely sure yo using have a fantasy points setup on the site - there's no better warrior get crazy results than to tell the site that SOG have the same value as G, A, etc.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's an ESPN fantasy points league - so I guess I just don't touch the category weights then if I am reading it correctly. That seems somewhat counterintuitive, but I'll trust you!