Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Early Is Too Early When Drafting Hornqvist??

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default How Early Is Too Early When Drafting Hornqvist??

I really want to snag him up as I think he could provide top 50 value from a later round. So in my keep 5, 10 team league, where would you draft him? 1st round in our draft would be equivalent to a 6th round in standard drafts. I want to target him with my 34th overall. My next pick is 52nd overall, and though he may be there still I don't wanna take a chance. He could very well slip unnoticed the entire draft but you never know if another gm is thinking the same thing as you. I have picks 9, 12, 19, 29, 32, 34, 52, 69, 89, and a bunch of later picks. Was thinking of doing a 29 and 34 for 21 and 45 and maybe use that 45th on him. But is that trade worth it regardless of whether he falls there or not?
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: How Early Is Too Early When Drafting Hornqvist??

I doubt he will slip to your 2nd pick unless you have clueless GMs
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Padawan

Maybe go after him with 32 or 29?? I know the nhl.com article said to target him around 9th or 10th round and all the generic lists have him around 100ish. Not many of the gms are into paying for Dobber, I'm probably the only one who uses Dobber's ranks.
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

The Great One

I wouldnt wait too long though- hes got enough sleeper buzz that a lot of places have him pretty well hyped...

Dobber Sports Master

He will go earlier than normal, of course, but it may be to the detriment of the GM who does and is expecting him to score 80+ points. If he is there around 29 or 32, I would chance taking him, but not before that.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Padawan

anyone else??
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    I really want to snag him up as I think he could provide top 50 value from a later round. So in my keep 5, 10 team league, where would you draft him? 1st round in our draft would be equivalent to a 6th round in standard drafts. I want to target him with my 34th overall. My next pick is 52nd overall, and though he may be there still I don't wanna take a chance. He could very well slip unnoticed the entire draft but you never know if another gm is thinking the same thing as you. I have picks 9, 12, 19, 29, 32, 34, 52, 69, 89, and a bunch of later picks. Was thinking of doing a 29 and 34 for 21 and 45 and maybe use that 45th on him. But is that trade worth it regardless of whether he falls there or not?
    In my keep 6, 12 team league he went at the beginning of the 4th round. Aka the 37th pick of the draft. I felt it was a bit early personally but that should give you some idea when he'd go in a similar format

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Initiate

He'll go in the first round in our league for sure...

I am contemplating 4th overall.
    Salary Cap League:
    13 Team, G, A,+/-, W-2, OTL,SO-3
    30 max, 21 weekly active roster (12F, 7D, 2G)
    Note: Our league is 1 year behind in terms of available players and salary. Salary doesn't change for length of Pool contract.

Team:
    F-Trochek, Necas, J.T.Miller,McCann,Terry,Engvall, Zibanajed,mikhehev,GourdeHagel, Petterson,skinner
    D-
    Lindgren,Barrie,Forsling,.Morrisey,Aho,Ekblad,fabe r
    G-
    ,ulnarkSherstkin, Ned

(*) = Multi year deal

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by NatureX View Post
    He'll go in the first round in our league for sure...

I am contemplating 4th overall.
    how many players are kept!? That sounds crazy! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    In my keep 6, 12 team league he went at the beginning of the 4th round. Aka the 37th pick of the draft. I felt it was a bit early personally but that should give you some idea when he'd go in a similar format
    thanks, very helpful. That would be 49th in my league, so 45 seems like a decent target (even though as you stated it might be a little early).
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Master

I wouldn't target him at all. Too much hype and he will go earlier in drafts than he should.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post

I agree. This was a little early. I'm thinking he is a 50-60 pick kind of player. If you get him there then you will be pleased if he scores 60 points. If you draft him at #37, then he has to score 60 to make it worth the pick.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I agree. This was a little early. I'm thinking he is a 50-60 pick kind of player. If you get him there then you will be pleased if he scores 60 points. If you draft him at #37, then he has to score 60 to make it worth the pick.
    those numbers are in regard to his league right? A keep 6, 12 team, so the first player in his draft would be 73rd?
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

The Great One

I think your 29, 32, or 34 is the right range. As others have said it may be a tad early- nothing outrageous though. Also I am a polar opposite viewpoint than many on this board- I am drinking the kool aid. Not just because someone told me too though- lol! The underlying numbers support a huge breakout. I honestly believe Hornqvist is already a 60 point player who was stuck in a defense first system. With basically ANY linemates and a little bit of wiggle room opffensively- 60 would have been attainable. Factot in his monstrous SOG totals and the fact that his shooting % uncharacteristaclly dipped last year (look for a correction)- and youre looking at a perfect storm.

Thats BEFORE you add the Crosby/Malkin effect. I know everyone loves to nip this hype in the butt- but it comes down to what you believe. I owned Neal before the trade (was solid) and I saw what happened there. I saw Kunitz turn into an Olympian??? 60 is a ground floor- not a target. 70+ is very attainable- again in my humle opinion. Hes almost got darkhorse backlash around here- lol! Hes too obvious of a sleeper to pan out. Thats just kind of wrong. He was an extremely solid real hockey player and an underrated cat filler in fantasy before the move. He will be gold by this time next year and everyone will strangely have forgotten about these threads :P

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I think your 29, 32, or 34 is the right range. As others have said it may be a tad early- nothing outrageous though. Also I am a polar opposite viewpoint than many on this board- I am drinking the kool aid. Not just because someone told me too though- lol! The underlying numbers support a huge breakout. I honestly believe Hornqvist is already a 60 point player who was stuck in a defense first system. With basically ANY linemates and a little bit of wiggle room opffensively- 60 would have been attainable. Factot in his monstrous SOG totals and the fact that his shooting % uncharacteristaclly dipped last year (look for a correction)- and youre looking at a perfect storm.

Thats BEFORE you add the Crosby/Malkin effect. I know everyone loves to nip this hype in the butt- but it comes down to what you believe. I owned Neal before the trade (was solid) and I saw what happened there. I saw Kunitz turn into an Olympian??? 60 is a ground floor- not a target. 70+ is very attainable- again in my humle opinion. Hes almost got darkhorse backlash around here- lol! Hes too obvious of a sleeper to pan out. Thats just kind of wrong. He was an extremely solid real hockey player and an underrated cat filler in fantasy before the move. He will be gold by this time next year and everyone will strangely have forgotten about these threads :P
    Great reply, I'm definitely drinking it as a Crosby/Malkin owner lol. Having Kunitz last year was awesome, just too old. If Hornqvist does pan out, he could be a great keeper also!
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I wouldn't target him at all. Too much hype and he will go earlier in drafts than he should.
    glad to see someone else with common sense.

I can NOT believe the hype hornqvist is getting around here.

He is not all of a sudden a superstar just because he plays in Pittsburgh.

Let others draft him, and you draft guys like voracek/wheeler/little with your pick.

At least if hornqvist pans out, he will be in that same category, except you didn't need the risk attached to it.

Hornqvist will not score 70 pts, while the others might.

Unbelievable the boner some people get over players playing with crosby