Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scott Gomez gets training camp try-out offer from Devils

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Scott Gomez gets training camp try-out offer from Devils

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...out_basis.html

"NEWARK — Scott Gomez, who won two Stanley Cups with the Devils, has been invited to the team's training camp on a unsigned tryout basis, general manager Lou Lamoriello told The Star-Ledger Wednesday.

Gomez, 34, played 46 games last season for the Florida Panthers and had 12 points (2 goals, 10 assists). It is his playmaking that makes him appealing to the Devils.

"He felt he still had a lot of hockey in him and he's been working out this summer so I told him to come to camp," Lamoriello said. "There are no promises. We certainly know what he has the capability of doing. This is no different than with Petr Sykora."

Sykora won a job with the Devils as an unsigned tryout in 2011 and proved to be a valuable addition.

"Seeing LeBron (James) go home kind of inspired me to do the same thing. The reception is a little different, but..." Gomez joked.

He has been skating in New Jersey for a month and feels his chances of making the team are good.

"I'm young," said Gomez. "I have a lot of hockey left. There were probably other places I could go, but just the opportunity to play here is great. I get a chance to come into camp and that's all I really wanted. Nothing is going to be given to me here."

Lamoriello is convinced that Gomez will attend camp with the right attitude and push for a job. There is no concern, he said, about the fact that Gomez left the Devils after the 2008-09 season to sign a lucrative 7-year, $51.5 million free agent deal with the rival Rangers. He's been booed by Devils fans ever since.

"That's never a concern of mine. A player leaves for whatever reasons," Lamoriello said. "If Scotty Gomez ca help this hockey team, he'll be given an opportunity."

Gomez said he was close to retiring last season, but played well at the end of the campaign.

"I was almost thinking about moving on," he said, "but I got back into the lineup. I'm not ready to (retire) yet."

He said he always hoped to return to the Devils, who drafted him 27th overall in the 1998 entry draft.

"I think because I left and where I went others never considered it, but I don't think people realize the relationship Lou and I have," Gomez explained. "I learned how to be a professional in New Jersey. I still come back to the area. I grew up in this area, meaning I became a man here."

He can win over the coach and his teammates, but what about the fans who hold it against him for leaving to song with the Rangers?

"Good question. I'm sure some people are still upset," he said. "It was a business decision. They were mad and had every right to be.

"It's funny to be back. If you can't take a little ribbing... it's my job to win them over.""
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Scott Gomez gets training camp try-out offer from Devils

Totally not surprised. NJ has embraced its status as a junkyard and has set up a nice business reclaiming no-risk aging vets on friendly contracts.

Dobber Sports Genius

Wow! This guy has too many chances....Can I call Uncle Lou for a tryout?....are they THIS desperate?
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd hope that any desire for NJ to have him in their lineup is due to his experience and being a "good dressing room presence". Not sure what else Gomez is able to bring as a player. Actually assumed that he'd be seriously considering a position with the Devils in a consultation/scouting/development role.

Dobber Sports Wizard

sometimes players go to one camp and sign with another team

this is likely just a favor to him, it doesn't mean they have any plans on signing him

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Has Gomez really gotten so bad that he's looked at as a total joke invite? Or is this just leftover lulz from when he was making a bajillion dollars and not being worth it?
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Star

Good for him, but I don't see it working out.

Dobber Sports Master

I think Uncle Lou has a time machine in his office, he just needs to assemble all of the Devils who won a Cup with the team in the past to make it work. His next signing will be Ken Daneyko.

I don't figure Gomez will be fantasy relevant and really is only there to help develop the young guys like Elias, Jagr and Ryder. LOL!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Administrator

Everyone has it wrong! Does anyone remember how much of a prolific scorer Gomez has been the last few years? He is there to build the confidence of the goalies!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I thin Uncle Lou has a time machine in his office, he just needs to assemble all of the Devils who won a Cup with the team in the past to make it work. His next signing will be Ken Daneyko.

I don't figure Gomez will be fantasy relevant and really is only there to help develop the young guys like Elias, Jagr and Ryder. LOL!
    I think Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer could still be useful for that team....

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Apparently Kaberle is getting a tryout with the Devis as well.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Everyone has it wrong! Does anyone remember how much of a prolific scorer Gomez has been the last few years? He is there to build the confidence of the goalies!
    will he actually score a goal in camp? stay tuned
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby4Ever View Post
    will he actually score a goal in camp? stay tuned
    You mean, we'll see this again??????

Dobber Sports Genius

Dobber Sports Ace

complete waste of time
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15