Thread: Benn - FOW

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Benn - FOW

Anyone have any sense of how many draws Benn might take on a line with Seguin?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Benn - FOW

I would look for the same as last year most likely...Spezza will obviously be the go to guy in big D at the dot....but with peverly down with injury they are still gonna need Benn pretty bad when it comes time for faceoffs....if peverly comes back healthy then maybe Benn would see a drop off in FOW
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think it'll be very similar to last year.
    I'd drop both Benn & Seguin's FOW from last year down by 10% (with Spezza taking draws & Eakin taking way less).

Benn (LH) & Seguin (RH) are most likely (I'm guessing here) splitting faceoffs based on ice-side.
    Benn took about 800 last year, winning 400.
    Seguin took about 700 last year, winning 280.

Usually a guy is comfortable winning a puck back and to a side, so many FO splitting line combos split the FO because of ice-side (and not for some other reason).
    Thus, if you watched a lot of film, I'd guess that Seguin might take a draw on one side of the defensive zone and than Benn might take a draw on the other side of the defensive zone.

[I occasionally split face-offs on my team with linemates. I'm a RH-stick and I'm very comfortable winning pucks back-and-right using a backhand draw, but not so much back-and-left. So I take the faceoffs to right of our goalie, but not to left. Some hockey background for the non-players.]

Interesting note about recently about Seguin and working on Face-offs:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...son-spezza.ece
    (Note Seguin's remarks about the difference between wing & center... there's been similar discussion w.r.t. Mackinnon's transition... some people don't buy it, some do.)

Beauty of a Benn goal from face-off:

Dobber Sports Stud

important to remember Spezza and Peverly are elite on the dot....

Spezza 775 FOW 54% last year
    Peverly 348 FOW 60% last year (56% career)

Seguin is so poor at face-offs they will continue to lean on Benn often....
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Banned

Seguin came into Dallas last year without playing center in the NHL. His face-offs were not up to par, which is why Benn took so many draws. Benn was terrible in the dot his first year, too, but with practice improved dramatically. Seguin worked on them through the season and focused on them this summer. He will improve and as he does, Benn will take less and less draws on that line. Depending on much improvement Seguin shows will determine how many draws Benn takes. I don't see Spezza factoring into this at all.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks guys, gives me some idea now - wasn't sure if Seguin would take all the draws on that line - looks like not.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    important to remember Spezza and Peverly are elite on the dot....

Spezza 775 FOW 54% last year
    Peverly 348 FOW 60% last year (56% career)

Seguin is so poor at face-offs they will continue to lean on Benn often....
    This is the key point to focus on. The Stars now how have guys in place to take the crucial faceoffs, I suspect Benn's numbers to go down, especially as Seguin improves.
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by vitun-tyhmä View Post
    This is the key point to focus on. The Stars now how have guys in place to take the crucial faceoffs, I suspect Benn's numbers to go down, especially as Seguin improves.
    It might be moot - starting to look like Benn is going sooner in drafts than I think his value warrants - but yeah I can see his FOW tailing off.