Thread: Keeper Feedback to Win It All

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Question Keeper Feedback to Win It All

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some feedback, constructive criticism and advice on my keeper team (see signature). This is the 7th year of our league and I've done well but not well enough: 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd...

Our keeper picks are due next week and our draft is in 2 weeks and my thought process at this point is: For the players I am not keeping, I am actively shopping them around in packages to try and target a slightly better keeper than one of my guys. The top team in my league is really, really good (3-time repeat champion) and it will take a little luck (possibly an injury) to over take him but I am trying my darndest! I was 22pts behind last year and I had to deal with Stamkos going down and St. Louis huffing and puffing for a trade while the other team had no significant injuries. So I am pulling all the stops this year as Stamkos, Giroux and Malkin aren't getting any younger!

The challenge is that my trade chips/drops are all borderline 45-60pt forwards and 40-50pt defencemen which makes it tough to decide if I should re-consider my last few keeper picks.

So 15 keepers are (ordered from 'most likely to succeed' to the 'potential to suck the most'):

F: Stamkos, Malkin, Giroux, St. Louis, Spezza, Johansen, Little, Hossa
    D: Hedman, Streit, J. Carlson, Barrie
    G: Bishop, Halak, Miller
    Trade Chips/Drops: MacArthur, Boedker, Ennis, Hartnell, M. Johansson, Hanzal, Wisniewski, Voynov, Gelinas, Hansen

P: Vatanen, S. Elliott, Jaskin, Teravainen, Khudobin, Kuemper, Silfverberg*
    Drop: Frk, Omark

*Silfverberg has lost his prospect status in our league so the way our rules work is that after we complete our 2 separate drafts, he must either be called up immediately (and one of my picks from the draft must be dropped) or he must be dropped. I am planning to keep him and drop my last pick for him (unless I get a gem).
    10 team, 10 year Keeper League, no cap, 15 main roster, 10 bench (keep 12), 12 prospect (keep 8)
    Result: 2018 League Champion!! + 9 year runner up
    Positions (at any given time): 9F, 4D, 2G
    45 moves allowed/year; Unlimited Trades
    1 free agent per month
    Forwards/Defensemen Categories: G = 1, A = 1
    Goaltenders: W = 2, S/O = 3
    Prospects: 0pts

F: Stamkos,Malkin,Giroux,Ovechkin,Wheeler, Hertl,Marchessault,Pacioretty,Voracek,Getzlaf, Gourde,Neal,Gallagher,Vrana
    D: Hedman,Letang,Giordano,Hamilton,Nurse
    G: Fleury,Bishop,Mrazek,Kuemper,Varlamov,Ullmark

P: Samsonov,Kapanen,Terry,Sandstrom,Bratt,Heinen, Kahun,Kase,Toews,Sanheim,Lindblom,Annunen

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Keeper Feedback to Win It All

Your consistent 2nd and 3rd place finishes is admirable and had Stamkos been healthy all season you may have placed 1st. I wish my roster had that consistency. You have made the best choices I think possible for your keepers in a points only league.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

What you've done I think is the best situation. You can just hope that you can do a package deal to upgrade. Doesn't help to throw in a prospect too.
    DYNASTY Cap(127M) 12 Team
    G, A, PIM(.1), positive +/- D only, W(2), SO(2), OTL(1)
    23 + 4 IR + 7 prospects (locked in for season if under 200 GP)
    Start: 11F, 5D, 2G - 82 games each slot

F: Crosby, Malkin, Aho, Rantanen, Batherson, Boldy, Kempe, Pavelski, Duchene, Hagel, Frost [Duclair, Farabee, Jenner]
    D: Fox, Karlsson, Hamilton, Letang, Montour
    IR:
    G: Sorokin, Kuemper[Husso, Kochetkov]

P: Stankoven, Tomasino, Vilardi, Sanderson, York, Zellweger, Wahlstrom
    Roster Cap Breakdown

DYNASTY Cap (110M) 12 Team 2
    G, A, PIM(.1), Positive +/- D only(0.5), Hattie(3), W(2), SO(3), OTL(1)
    League & Roster Info

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would change nothing, you have a great line-up and should be competing for years to some ... has your trade chips goes, boedker, voynov and wiz are the ones I would try to shop, but Im not sure they will get any interest
    12 teams keeper league (keep 6 + 1 rookie) H2H points only

Rookie = less than 23 years old and never reached 60pts for a forward / 40 pts for a D

Start : C RW LW S D D G
    Points are : A/G = 1 pt W = 2 pts SO = 1pt

C - Seguin Giroux Stepan
    LW - Huberdeau (R) Parise Tlusty
    RW - Eberle Hornqwist Hemsky Scheifele
    D - Schultz Gardiner Goligoski Brodie Sekera Zidlicky
    G - Fleury Crawford Raanta Greiss

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.

Dobber Sports Ace

That's a great team, you must have bad luck to have not won with that roster
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Guru

I think you have the right keepers. My only suggestion would be to shop a couple of your Dmen. If an upgrade can be had I would consider moving one of your bubble Dmen for a possible forward upgrade. Voynov and Wisniewski could be nice pieces for another team. Maybe deal a guy like Carlson or Barrie + a forward and if you can get the right return it could work.

Has anyone expressed interest in your bubble guys?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by vitun-tyhmä View Post
    That's a great team, you must have bad luck to have not won with that roster
    Agree !
    NHL Caphit(79.5M),pts only keeper league,16 Teams,Weekly H2H,Start 6F 4D 1G

F:Backstrom,Matthews,Giroux,Kessel,Barzal,Bailey,S tone,Labanc,Steel
    D:Klingberg,Krug,Vatanen,Letang,Girard,Liljegren
    G:Bobrovsky,Murray,Ullmark,Hart,Parsons

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hi All,

Thanks for all the positive comments.. To give you an idea, this is what I'm up against:

F: Iginla, Benn, Parise, Voracek, Steen, H. Sedin, Wheeler, Backstrom, Ovechkin
    D: Suter, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Giordano
    G: Crawford, Lundqvist

P: J. Allan, Mzarek, Raanta, Bjugstad, Nyquist, Soderberg, Bennett

I compared the projected stats on Dobber's guide and it looks like he's got me beat by a little bit at each spot! So like I said.. I need a little luck to go my way.

wendelclark17: That's a good suggestion and one I am currently exploring with some league members.. crossing my fingers I can replace someone like Johansen or Hossa with someone with a little more fire power.

New Question: I was leaning towards keeping Miller (a 3rd goalie for insurance purposes) instead of a 9th forward but now I am debating dropping or trading him in lieu of another forward like MacArthur or possibly one of the trade chips I am trying to acquire.

I already traded away my 1st overall pick in this year's draft which mean my first pick is 23rd overall which could make it difficult to find a 55+ forward at that point. If Miller gets scooped up, I could potentially lean back on Khudobin or Kuemper making the big time or draft a backup goalie that's available.

Thoughts?

Thanks Everyone! It's nice to bounce some ideas off of other's every once in a while.
    10 team, 10 year Keeper League, no cap, 15 main roster, 10 bench (keep 12), 12 prospect (keep 8)
    1 free agent per month

F: Stamkos,Malkin,Giroux,Ovechkin,Wheeler, Hertl,Marchessault,Pacioretty,Voracek,Getzlaf, Gourde,Neal,Gallagher,Vrana

P: Samsonov,Kapanen,Terry,Sandstrom,Bratt,Heinen, Kahun,Kase,Toews,Sanheim,Lindblom,Annunen

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm in a point only league of similar depth to yours. However, I'm near the bottom (rebuilding/expansion, or at least trying) so I suppose I'd be a target team to trade with in your league. You have made good keeper selections but haven't left much to entice a trade or upgrade. You may want to consider adding Silf to that trade bait group since you need to activate him anyway and then you could probably get someone in my position to bite. Silf is going to take a bit of time getting regular minutes, but you may be able to get someone like him who is closer to a top 6 roster spot. MacArthur should still produce well and is young enough to trade to a mid-pack team. Just a bit of advice from someone looking from the other end.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks audiopile.. appreciate the opposite view!

I've decided on 13 of 15 keepers... just 2 more to go:

Streit/Wisniewski/Voynov/Gelinas

I'm leaning towards Streit .. he should get more minutes this year with Timmonen MIA and I just think Wiz is bound to regress/get injured after a fairly successful season Man it's hard to predict which dmen will get 45+ pts!

and I can't decide if I should keep Miller or MacArthur but my gut is telling me Miller, there are lots of 50pt forwards out there but only so many starting goalies and Miller should be a good backup option for when Bishop and Halak get hurt!
    1 free agent per month

Dobber Sports Newbie

Hey all,

Just found Todd's post and I'm happy to say I'm the guy who he's trying to beat. Our draft is tomorrow and I can't wait!

Todd has been very consistent but he had bad luck last year with Stamkos hurt and Martin St. Louis' antics

Should be a good battle this year!

And I agree Todd, keeping a starting goalie over a 50pt forward I think is the way to go.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks Cobot.. may the best team win this year!

I had to go 11th overall in each round and had traded away my 1st round prospect pick. Here's how I did:

5 rounds
    Prospects Out: S. Elliott, Frk, Omark
    Prospects In: Nelson (via trade), Lehtera (23rd overall), Trocheck (35th), J. Morin (45th), R. Boucher (47th), N. Petan (55th)

10 rounds
    Roster Players Out: MacArthur, Boedker, Johansson, Ennis, Hanzal, Hartnell, Hansen, Wisniewski, Voynov, Gelinas
    Roster Players In: Desharnais (11th), Ennis (28th), Gallagher (35th), Brodie (47th), T. Myers (49th), Tlusty (60th), Tanguay (83rd), Vermette (95th), Fleischmann (109th)

Obviously this is a deep league but I think I got some quality players. What do you think? Did I get weaker or stronger or stay put on this draft year? Any steals in there?
    1 free agent per month