Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbucks People

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Starbucks People

I'm gonna piss a few people off with this thread... but I'm honestly curious.

I just browsed past this article:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ushpmg00000063

I like coffee. But I won't pay more than $1.50 for my coffee.
    I'm a frugal fugger.

Now... "Starbucks" people...
    My wife likes Starbucks. It drives me crazy.
    We don't have $4-$5 to spend on a coffee.
    We've got some money, but we don't have that.
    She still does it somedays.
    I love her... but gawd... I hate the concept of spending $4-$5 on a coffee.
    [And my wife, she's a swell person, seriously swell. Very kind. She wants to save the planet. Very caring girl, extreme, extreme democrat. Far left wing. But she also feels that spending $4-$5 on a coffee... for herself... or the person behind her... is OK....]

For me... I've been in these lines before where the person in front of you picks up your tab.
    Pengwin be like ???
    (hold on, let me find my surprised face)

That's ballsy.
    They don't even know how much it will cost.
    Dude behind you could be picking up 8 coffees for the law partners at his company.

What I'm trying to determine here is this:

a) Are "Starbucks People" just genuinely a nicer (on average) people that they'll do this kind of thing?
    or
    b) Is it more a reflection that "Starbucks People" just have an excess of cash to take this risk?

End Note: I know... it's just wrong to generalize a people with a stereotype.
    But we engineers like to "know what's going on"... and I honestly don't know what to make of "Starbucks People".
    I iz not in diz club and wants to know what makes them tick.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Starbucks People

Forget all that Pengwin, how about the simple fact that their coffee sucks?

I'll take a Tim's over that crap any day of the week and twice on Sundays
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Ninja

Placed in convenient places. Some people like the taste. Has social "cred". It hits all the sweet spots for some people.

I enjoy the odd Carmel Macchiato is someone else is buying but the rest of the coffee tastes like burnt ass and if you're paying yourself you get the added benefit of a financial kick to the nuts. Strange thing that Starbucks.

Banned

A: NO, this behavior is a hype these days.

B: NO there's plenty of folks I know that can't afford starbucks and go daily.

I hate starbucks for its long as lines, as I don't drink coffee. Wife is addicted though, but bought her a nice machine so she can make the same stuff at home for a fraction of the cost.

The Great One

So Ive had this argument many times- lol! This is not a response to the article as thats never happened to me or been offered by me- lol! to address the general differences though:

First off- coffee is not 4 or 5$. A moccachino frappe latte with extra cream cheese is 4 or 5 bucks. get a tall in a grande cup. By the time you add your own cream its like a large from Timmies and its like 1.80 or something. A little more expensive? Sure- but no 4-5$ deal.

Secondly- its the taste. I like strong coffee- arguably too strong- lol! Starbucks provides that. If you dont like that- you'll probably never be a starbucker- lol!

Thats it really. My brother does that- theyll go get a round of "fancy drinks"- where the bill is like 20+ for 3 or 4 drinks- thats crazy in my opinion. If however you just want a deliciously strong coffee for a decent price- they do actually offer that as well.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vitun-tyhmä View Post
    Forget all that Pengwin, how about the simple fact that their coffee sucks?

I'll take a Tim's over that crap any day of the week and twice on Sundays
    100% this

The Great One

Also I have a feeling this was in large part propogated by Starbucks somehow- and this is one of those commercials disguised as "news". starbucks people are not nicer than other coffee drinkers, if anything Im guessing Starbucks marketting teams are craftier than other coffee retailer's marketting teams...

Banned

I wish everyone who enjoys coffee could try the real, unadulterated deal made by a rained barista without all the shitty flavorings and gimmicks, they'd never drink Starbucks again!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    First off- coffee is not 4 or 5$. A moccachino frappe latte with extra cream cheese is 4 or 5 bucks. get a tall in a grande cup. By the time you add your own cream its like a large from Timmies and its like 1.80 or something. A little more expensive? Sure- but no 4-5$ deal.
    OK... but wouldn't you guess that the average Starbucks frequenter is spending $4 on their "beverage"?
    I bet that's the average amount spent "per person". (I'm sure there's a study on that somewhere... gotta be.)

Like, when I'm in line... or drive-thru... people are always ordering fancy shit.
    Not like "I'll have a coffee"...
    More like "I'll have a premium soy flappee chiggamochaslappa with non-fat yippy-yappy and a dash of pomegranate extract."

From what I've seen, people ordering a regular coffee at Starbucks is maybe 5%-10% of their customer base, no more.
    (again, from what I've witnessed being "behind in line")

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    OK... but wouldn't you guess that the average person is spending $4 on their coffee.
    Like, when I'm in line... or in the store... people are always ordering fancy shit. Not like "I'll have a coffee"... it's like the "I'll have a premium soy flappee chiggamochaslappa with non-fat yippy-yappy and a dash of pomegranate extract."

From what I've seen, people ordering a regular coffee at Starbucks is maybe 5%-10% of their customer base, no more.
    (again, from what I've witnessed being "behind in line")
    Thats probably true- cant argue that- I just find myself setting the record straight a lot as part of that hypothetical 5-10% demographic that likes their frugal 2 dollar coffee- lol!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Thats probably true- cant argue that- I just find myself setting the record straight a lot as part of that hypothetical 5-10% demographic that likes their frugal 2 dollar coffee- lol!
    You, my friend, I think are in the super minority!
    Those people that enjoy a "regular coffee"... but yet get it... from Starbucks!

(I've actually had their regular coffee. It's not bad, IMO.
    Sometimes, my wife is not in the mood to share!!! Yes, we have those days.
    And so I have to get my own, so I get the cheapest one - same you are describing for like $1.80)

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'm one of those people that buys a Chai Latte for $5 every morning from them. I'm not bias so I also end up going to Tims every afternoon at 2pm and buy coffee for my co-workers from there as well.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't have anything to say about their coffee (love the smell, but I can't stand the taste of coffee in general), but I'll chime in that I hate it when a work colleague wants to grab a coffee to chat, and I'm stuck paying $4+ for a tiny orange juice, and feeling like a sucker for getting hosed like that.

Dobber Sports Master

And Tims has 'pay it forward' moments like this (last december):

At about 10 a.m. on Dec. 21, a Tim Hortons customer at the Beaverhill Boulevard location decided to pay for the order of the next vehicle in the drive-through line.
    That began a chain of random acts of kindness that lasted for three hours -- and 228 orders.
    Starbucks blows.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Veteran

I buy the Chai Tea latte @ $4 with soy. Can't drink milk. Tim's doesn't give you that option. Rest of the Starbucks clone shops chage the same for the Chai Tea. Too costly to buy everyday , treat it like a once a week treat.
    I have picked up the tab on the person ahead a few times. Strong believer in "random acts of kindness".
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White