Thread: The Strained

Dobber Sports Expert

Default The Strained

Is anybody watching this series? I watched the pilot Monday night and loved it. I watched the five other episodes since then, and I think it's pretty good so far.

I would not suggest to watch it before you go to sleep though
    twitter: @hugotwigg

I...am your father.

Default Re: The Strained

I've heard great things, but haven't got to it yet. It's on the shortlist of shows to watch though. True Blood is over this weekend, and we're almost through watching the Firefly series. Then we'll have a bit of a void for shows
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks for the info: The "Strain"... yes?
    We'll have to give it a try.

We just started "Suits".
    True Blood... my wife & I have watched that a year delay (Netflix).
    She read the books.
    Looking back... it's one of the worst TV series that I've ever somehow stayed with... maybe Weeds too.
    I'm a decent husband. Season 1 = good. After that... just... yugg. Can't believe I've seen them all.

I'm done with vamper stories/shows for probably another 20 years - unless this Strain brings something different.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Pengwin7,

I really dislike most vampire genre stuff as well, but if you've not read The Passage by Justin Cronin, then you should check it out. Reads similar to a Steven King 'The Stand' type book and has a different take on vampires type creatures in it. I've read this book, the sequel, and am really looking forward to the final book which I think comes out this year some time.

EDIT: I should note that Matt Reeves (Planet of the Apes Director) has signed on to direct the movie version of it as well, so I'm quite excited about that.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Pengwin7,

I really dislike most vampire genre stuff as well, but if you've not read The Passage by Justin Cronin, then you should check it out. Reads similar to a Steven King 'The Stand' type book and has a different take on vampires type creatures in it. I've read this book, the sequel, and am really looking forward to the final book which I think comes out this year some time.
    Interesting. I enjoyed The Passage, enough that I bought the second, but I haven't read it yet (I have a bit of a queue). I had no idea there was a third coming. Thanks for the info.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Interesting. I enjoyed The Passage, enough that I bought the second, but I haven't read it yet (I have a bit of a queue). I had no idea there was a third coming. Thanks for the info.
    The first one is the best, as is usual with these types of series, but I still liked the second one.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I've heard great things, but haven't got to it yet. It's on the shortlist of shows to watch though. True Blood is over this weekend, and we're almost through watching the Firefly series. Then we'll have a bit of a void for shows
    If you have Netflix checkout The Killing or House of Cards, both really good Netflix originals. Also Lillyhammer which is ridiculous but fun to watch (Steven Van Zandt playing a mobster relocated to Norway -lol)
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Passage.
    I have read it! Incredible stuff!
    Loved the first, like the second, third is out very soon! (Super Excited)

But I wouldn't call those vampires. (I mean, when I hear "Vampires", I'm thinking of a society of beings that take part in discussions & relationships & still weight good vs. bad).
    I always imagined the Passage beings to be closer to monsters - barely a shred of humanity remaining.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I always imagined the Passage beings to be closer to monsters - barely a shred of humanity remaining.
    Much like some of the guys who are in my hockey pools no doubt.

Dobber Sports Deity

Suits - Love it. One of my favorites on TV today.

As far as The Strain goes, I have watched the first few episodes and like what I have seen so far. I still have about 3 more on the PVR I just haven't taken the time to watch yet. So far so good though!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Will look into it....I did start watching the killing because of this forum....can't say as I'm in love with it, but it's def worth seeing it through. Thanks for the suggestions.
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Sage

I like The Strain so far. Recommended.

Dobber Sports Icon

I've been watching it - its OK, but nothing is blowing me away.

Suits - finished season 3 last night, its pretty good for a lawyer show - some great characters.
    True Blood - after season 1 it went way downhill - stopped watching it a few years ago.
    House Of Cards - one of the best shows going, Kevin Spacey is - as you'd expect - absolutely amazing in it.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin