Thread: Thoughts on Auction Draft?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Thoughts on Auction Draft?

I am entertaining the idea of joining an auction draft for the first time this upcoming season. Based on your experience, have any feedback (pros/cons)?

I am looking for a change of pace to try something new this year and am wondering if this is a good option to try out this season in a one-year league.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Thoughts on Auction Draft?

We did an auction draft last year, and its quite a bit of fun, especially if you have a few friends in the same house during the draft, lots of smacktalk. However I find it was twice as long as a simple snake draft, so be prepared to be sitting there awhile.

It's also great to do for the inaugural season of a keeper league, lets people determine who they want to build a franchise around, rather than get stuck with the crappiest pick in a snake draft.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Thoughts on Auction Draft?

Auction drafts are fun.
    Live auction drafts are the most fun I have EVER had in fantasy sports.
    Side note: They can take FOREVER... especially with a group of GMs that might be new to "auction style".

Auction drafting though is a league type that heavily, heavily, HEAVILY rewards "experience".
    An experience auction drafter is going to dominate a rookie auction drafter.
    Even if the rookie knows more about the sport.

Budgeting funds and understanding where & when to overbid is... an art.

Major recommendation: Don't make your first "auction draft" as a "money league".
    Make sure it is a free league, gain some experience.
    They are a lot of fun though.
    And also - you need a clear set of rules about team cap numbers, especially what happens AFTER the initial draft. (can teams go over their cap with trades? what is value of waiver player? etc.)

Good luck, have fun!