Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Foo Fighters - Radio friendly conveyor belt rock or kickass?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default The Foo Fighters - Radio friendly conveyor belt rock or kickass?

Just listening to their catalogue today.. for some reason... and it reminded me of a friend of mine who once compared their music to "Radio friendly conveyor-belt rock" and something along the lines of "its nothing special or new, its like McDonalds, seems like a good idea at the time, but you feel like crap after having eaten it".
    Pretty funny stuff imo!

He even made a facebook group to try and prove a point to me... it didn't work.

The more I listen to music (particularly the Foo's) the more I have to actually agree with his outlandish statement. I personally don't think they've produced anything good since "All my life"...

So, the title asks the question, what do you think of the Foo Fighters? Pretty Meh or pretty damn awesome?
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: The Foo Fighters - Radio friendly conveyor belt rock or kickass?

"Radio-friendly conveyer-belt rock" is a pretty apt description.

Dobber Sports Deity

I guess it depends on what you like. I consider myself a country boy through and through, but I also grew up in the 80s so I loved all the hair band rock and roll and still like some rock for a change from time to time. The Def Leppards, Motley Crues, etc is the stuff I used to love. Today, for rock bands, I enjoy My Chemical Romance, Shinedown and since their last album, The Foo Fighters. Maybe it's because their last album was a bit more on the mainstream rock but either way, I enjoyed pretty much all the songs on that album. I am not into death metal and I hate it when the "singer" simply sings through his throat, grovels at the top of his lungs, and calls it singing. I dont know how to describe it but I know it when I hear it and I can't stand it. I don't know how anyone can enjoy singing that way and I have no idea how anyone can listen to it.

The Foo Fighters apparently have a new album coming out. I will give it a spin and see if it's anything like. If it's anything like their last album, I will be happy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    "Radio-friendly conveyer-belt rock" is a pretty apt description.
    I like the description, and frankly I don't think it's an insult. Converyer-belt rock is a reflection of your music being so good that the majority of people enjoy it - and your style is similar enough to be recognized and still enjoyed. I don't know why some music fans get so bent out of shape over it. Nickelback was great - and we all agreed, though nobody will admit it now - when How you remind me came out. Green Day is one of the best bands in history. Etc,

Foo Fighters can never be panned because of what Grohl has done for rock with several bands. He's just making music the way he loves
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Nickelback was great - and we all agreed, though nobody will admit it now - when How you remind me came out.
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Kids these days simply don't listen to "rock music".
    They listen to pop.
    They listen to rap.

Rock music doesn't sell.
    Unfortunately, Foo Fighters is sort of battling the middle ground of holding to being "rock" while still trying to make a living by being a bit "pop"/radio-friendly.

I'd say the answer is both.

1. If you look at the entire era of rock music (1950s to current), then the Foo Fighters work is just "Radio friendly conveyor-belt rock".
    2. If you look at rock in the 2000s-now (only!), then the Foo Fighters work could be viewed as "kickass".

Likely, the argument between two persons with different opinions is based on the era they are using to compare the Foo Fighters to other rock.

It's like comparing Crosby to Gretzky, IMO.
    Crosby doesn't hold Gretzky's jock... but Sid is still seen by most as the best player of the current NHL.

Judgment/opinion is relative to the era of comparison.

Dobber Sports Star

I'm a fan of the Foo Fighters. I find myself listening to them quite often. When I find something I like, I don't really care what others think as long as I like it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I think that description makes sense in a way...but it's also something Im completely fine with. Most their albums since Colour and the Shape have been good but not great, with a few songs that I absolutely love, a few that are ok and a few that I don't care for. But as Pengwin said, compared to some of the garbage that is out there right now they're a great band. And I don't know about you guys but a band's abilty to perform live goes a long way with me, and the Foo Fighters are one of the best. I know it definitely helps that they have so many recognizable songs but still.....Lollapalooza 2011....in the rain....My Hero....amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWmhWdyg2Tw

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by vitun-tyhmä View Post
    Never once, in my entire life, have I ever thought anything Nickelback has done is great. Not once, ever. Quite the opposite.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Banned

Nickelback has got to be the worst "rock"band of all time

Foo Fighters, although not great, are above bands such as

Hedley, Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Our Lady Peace, Default, and other shit bands like that.

But for myself I put them behind bands as

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Linkin Park, 3 doors down and hell I even like Train better just to name a few, and I realize some are more "rock" as others

Dobber Sports Deity

I remember when Nickleback first came out and I heard their first single, I thought to myself, these guys aren't bad. Then when they released their next single, it sounded similar. As so on, and so on. Every song sounds to the same to me so they got tired pretty damn quick.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

So... it sounds like we are saying that FNMT (September Edition): Favourite Nickelback Song is... maybe... a no-go.
    Not a good idea?
    No?
    Scratches idea off list.

I...am your father.

LMAO you guys are predictable, as are everyone else in the world. Interview 1 billion people and all 1 billion people will say that "How You Remind Me" was a song they never liked and they never liked Nickleback. Meanwhile the song was No.1 in the world for this unprecedented length of time. Too funny. Hey, that's the great thing about memories and how the human brain works. We can change them to make them seem cooler. Keep pretending guys! You always hated Nickleback! Gotcha! I believe you, I really do.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

They are only popular because all the ladies like them.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    ....and they never liked Nickleback... Nickleback!....
    You are just pretending to like Nickelback.
    You didn't even spell their name correctly!
    It's not like Pickle.
    It's Nickel.
    Oops... said too much...