Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Letang has lost his lustre?

The Great One

Default Re: Letang has lost his lustre?

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Yes he has lost some lustre thanks to all those injuries, though many were freak type injuries, but multiple concussions have me a little worried (but only a little). I went and traded for him last year in one of my leagues (just before his stroke!) and will be keeping him hoping for a fullish season (70+ games). He has the potential to put up some elite numbers from the back end. Also, I'll be making a move on Mike Green before he is dealt this season (if I can) because I think he's going to end up in a great place, wherever that is (come on Anaheim, reunited with BB).
    I just traded Green away-lmao! I never considered that option- I could see a monster season if that ever went down. Im also a little worried even if he stays put as many people are citing on Trotz reliance on his d-men to prvide scoing. He could have a re-surgence even if he stays put

Sorry off topic!

Ummm- did you know Letang bleached his hair blonde for finals in the Q? true story!

Pulled that out of the fire...

Dobber Sports Giant

i havent' read the entire thread, so I'm not sure if this was mentioned previously ... but Kris Letang is notorious around the NHL for his training regimen, and being one of the most fit athletes in the entire NHL. He's probably second to Crosby on the Penguins, and well ahead of anyone else who isn't a total freak. There are lots of positives to think about going forward with Kris Letang.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Here's how I see Letang, and why I would be buying low and why i WON'T be selling him anytime soon:

In full-year points leagues, sure, he's put up totals of 27 in 73 games, 50 in 82 games, 42 in 51 games, 38 in 35 games, and 22 in 37 games over the last 5 years. Only one really stands out (the 50), but here are those same years in terms of points-per-game: 0.37, 0.61, 0.82, 1.09, 0.59. If you had a defenceman that could put up like, 38 points in 82 games (0.46 PPG) to fill out those games Letang missed, here are your totals:

Letang's Points Games missed x average defenceman's PPG Total Rank among Dmen
    27 4 31 34th
    50 0 50 5th
    42 14 56 2nd*
    38 6 44 1st
    22 21 43 18th
    *Byfuglien would have beaten him with the same rules applied

Not stellar totals, but not half bad. I ALSO did some luck-adjustment for him based on on-ice shooting percentage vs his average, and he should have scored close to 0.75 PPG, a 60-point pace and good for 3rd in the league among dmen behind only Karlsson and Keith. Some top-tier company.

Now: can he remain healthy? I own him, and he frustrates the hell out of me, but he has NO chronic injuries. He had the stomach flu, an elbow infection, a stroke, and got concussed 3 years ago, but not one of them has recurred. At some point, he's gonna stop winning the ****ing injury-of-the-week lottery and when he does that, he's the only guy in the league that can go toe-to-toe with Karlsson for the top spot. A big part of that might be his teammates, but it doesn't change the fact that he's more than capable of it.
    DobberHockey Injury Report Columnist

Points only keeper league. 9F 6D 1G + 5 Bench & 9 Farm. $109M cap.
    Drop 5 at the end of the year from Main team only.
    10 Teams.

F: Crosby Kane McDavid Hall Draisaitl MacKinnon Duchene Backstrom Hornqvist Sprong Perron

D: Letang Green Klingberg Rielly Faulk Bowey Phaneuf Campbell Schultz

G: Holtby

Farm: RNH E.Lindholm Vrbata Fabbri Morrissey Pouliot Murray Vasilevskiy Fleury

Dobber Sports Wizard

in order to replace Letang with a 38 point player you would need to be in a 10 team league that starts 1 defenseman per week and even then it is questionable if you could find one on the wire

also a 38 point player is not an average player

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Legend

Letang is still a very good fantasy defensemen. I always felt he was overrated (fantasy-wise) to begin with, mainly due to the cozy Pittsburgh situation. When you consider the annual injuries, Letang takes more of a risk hit. That said, I consider him a Top 5-8 fantasy option. And that's with banking on some injury time. At this point in time Letang may have flip-flopped to the side of being underrated by some.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    Well said. Comparing him to Crosby is beyond foolish, aside from playing on the same team they have zero in common.

Letang has only ever hinted at greatness, in 7 seasons in the league he has numbers of: 17, 33, 27, 50, 42, 38, 22. You might as well have owned Matt Carle over the same period, you could have drafted him 10 rounds later and got the same production Crosby has been top 5 in scoring in the NHL six times over that same period! Missing time due to a bad concussion is a lot different than missing time every season due to some new injury. You want to talk about lustre? You can polish that turd all you want, I sure ain't buying it.
    He had 38 pts in 35 gp in the lockout year. If that doesn't hint at greatness I don't know what would. It's not if he can put up 60 pts, it's if he can stay healthy enough to play 75 games.. Cause if he does he's hitting 60 pts. Not many dmen in the league have the potential to do that. In my league when he has gotten hurt I simply sub in another player - the cumulative stats that that roster spot has gotten me over the years still ends up being elite production. In my opinion it's foolish to think he is gonna miss a huge chunk of games every single year. Odds are he will have a healthy season soon, and when that happens that is going to be a monster season.. That's when you trade him.
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sure he has lost his lustre - it's really about his missing time not his per game production. I don't want to be the one that undersold him if he happens to have a healthy season - such a dilemma.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Letang is still a very good fantasy defensemen. I always felt he was overrated (fantasy-wise) to begin with, mainly due to the cozy Pittsburgh situation. When you consider the annual injuries, Letang takes more of a risk hit. That said, I consider him a Top 5-8 fantasy option. And that's with banking on some injury time. At this point in time Letang may have flip-flopped to the side of being underrated by some.
    I might have him a little lower than 8 depending on the league setup but I really don't take issue with putting him in that range, my problem is that too many seem to look at it as follows

Karlsson/Letang
    the rest of the league

that is the stuff I just am not buying until he finishes higher than 50 points for several seasons

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Titan

The top D-men have to play a full season to do damage in the league. Ya PPG is great and all, but the replacements in a 12team league start 4 d-men are usually low. 4*12=48, then 4-7 people have a 5th d, so the 56th d-man available is where you’d get Letangs replacement.

Letang’s 38pts (in 55 games) + randoms 9pts (27 games) = only 47 pts. Even when Letang is at 0.7ppg total, you still come out with a Kronwall like output.

Now the crap shoot is where the 55games Letang plays line up too. The first 55 games (likely) or the last 55 games? The last games are what would be desirable in a H2H league.

The GMs that will target Letang are either fanboys, or the swing for the fences GM. I’ll look to draft him, but the price has to be right.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

i kinda see him as a 45 point guy regardless of how many games he plays. he seems to have his best numbers in seasons he gets hurt in.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    I might have him a little lower than 8 depending on the league setup but I really don't take issue with putting him in that range, my problem is that too many seem to look at it as follows

Karlsson/Letang
    the rest of the league

that is the stuff I just am not buying until he finishes higher than 50 points for several seasons
    That's exactly why I always felt he was overrated. People put him up there with Karlsson and that was way too lofty to begin with, regardless of what team he is on. There's only one fantasy immortal on D and it's Karlsson.

The Great One

Karlsson/Letang
    the rest of the league

Thats a fair point- but I can tell you hes not there now. Ive done several mocks this year- and hes barely in the top 10 d-men off the board range. Hes ranked 9th- and I find (at least in the drafts Ive done)- people actually pick around him. I mean thats totally fine if you believe hes not gonna stay healthy and you want the GP. My concern just goes the other way- if he is healthy for 70+ games people are gonna be all shocked at the numbers he puts up- lol! }How did I pass on Letang for Suter? Ugh...". I like to gamble so Ill gladly grab him later.

My point is just that if he were overrated at some point- hes now being underrated imho. Not that I mind- injurioes are truly a concern- and Im very happyto take him when he slides- lol!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Any league that doesn't have ample IR replacement options it's probably not worth the gamble.

One strategy in a few leagues is buy low now, hope he starts out at a solid pace, and trade him as if he's the #2 fantasy dman to own 15 games into the season.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Prodigy

in order to replace Letang with a 38 point player you would need to be in a 10 team league that starts 1 defenseman per week and even then it is questionable if you could find one on the wire

also a 38 point player is not an average player
    I dont know where those numbers are coming from, but 35 defencemen last year that played over 40 games finished above 38 point pace. In a 10 team league that starts 4 defencemen, almost every team will have 4 defencemen that qualify.

but you bring up a good point, what is an average defenceman? In a league that starts 4 defencemen x 12 teams, we'd need the 48th-60th best defencemen for our bench replacement. thats 30 points-36 points (i am NOT pulling these numbers out of my ass, these are actual stats.

Letang's Points Games missed x average defenceman's PPG Total
    27 3 30
    50 0 50
    42 11 53
    38 5 43 (pro-rates to 73!)
    22 17 39

Again, not shabby, but still not how people view him. The people that look at him as Karlsson's equal overrate him, and the people that view him as a giant injury risk underrate him. His injuries aren't chronic, and if he puts together even half a season, him plus his waiver wire replacement can easily get you 50 points, which is exactly how he should be viewed. I still wouldn't trade him for anything less than Keith or Pietrangelo, purely because if he puts together a WHOLE season, then he really does rival Karlsson (at least for that year).
    DobberHockey Injury Report Columnist

Points only keeper league. 9F 6D 1G + 5 Bench & 9 Farm. $109M cap.
    Drop 5 at the end of the year from Main team only.
    10 Teams.

F: Crosby Kane McDavid Hall Draisaitl MacKinnon Duchene Backstrom Hornqvist Sprong Perron

D: Letang Green Klingberg Rielly Faulk Bowey Phaneuf Campbell Schultz

G: Holtby

Farm: RNH E.Lindholm Vrbata Fabbri Morrissey Pouliot Murray Vasilevskiy Fleury

Dobber Sports Wizard

if you are already starting those 4 defensemen then none of them can replace Letang, they are already accounted for in your lineup what you replace Letang with is a player that isn't on a roster, a waiver pickup and as I already said you aren't finding a 38 point player on the wire in a league unless it has very few defensemen in use

also you said average defenseman so I assumed you meant average defenseman

also you may not be pulling those numbers out of your ass but I don't know where you are getting them since 27-31 is the points I am looking at for players 48-60

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max