Thread: Bylsma turned down two HC offers after getting fired by Pens

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Bylsma turned down two HC offers after getting fired by Pens

http://cardiaccane.com/2014/08/17/ca...coaching-jobs/

"Dan Bylsma is currently unemployed. After being fired by the Pittsburgh Penguins and new General Manager Jim Rutherford on June 6, Bylsma went out looking for a job, but he did not find one this summer.

The Carolina Hurricanes and Florida Panthers were two teams that entered the offseason with serious questions surrounding their coaching staff.

The Hurricanes fired head coach Kirk Muller on May 5 following yet another disappointing, postseason-less season in Raleigh. The club hired Bill Peters on June 19.

The Panthers fired interim head coach Peter Horachek on April 29 and hired new head coach Gerard Gallant on June 21.

Per reports, both the Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes offered Dan Bylsma head coaching positions.

Dejan Jovacevic of DKonPittsburghSports.com initially reported the news, and Ron Wilson of HockeyBuzz passed along the news on Friday.

We already knew that the Florida Panthers had a lot of interest in the former head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins, but those talks between Florida and Bylsma fell apart last second. Many people said that money was the issue between the two parties, but others say that money was just the scapegoat.

Up to this point, there hadn’t been much showing interest between the Carolina Hurricanes and Dan Bylsma. There hasn’t been any reports as to why the talks between the Hurricanes and Bylsma fell through.

Dan Bylsma is still unemployed, but don’t expect that to last much longer as he will likely be a good head coach candidate for a team that makes an early-season head coach firing."
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Bylsma turned down two HC offers after getting fired by Pens

Well then...

The guy is picking his spots and I guess there's nothing wrong with that. I think he is a pretty good coach and that he'll get hired soon. I wonder if he wanted the WSH job but they just wanted Trotz...? Also interesting that he didn't want to go coach the Staal family in CAR... or maybe he did but couldn't work out a deal. Those are not necessarily two rich teams so maybe cash was the issue in the end?..

Thanks for posting. Interesting to know.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ace

I wouldn't make too much of it, it could be something as simple as location and his family.
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Administrator

At the rate that teams fire coaches I don't blame him for being patient. He'll get what he wants at some point.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by vitun-tyhmä View Post
    I wouldn't make too much of it, it could be something as simple as location and his family.
    Good point on the family thing.. Often ignored in the transient world of nhl hockey. Methinks is he wants to coach a winner, not a project. Good fit for Gallant in FLA tho. Don't know much about this Bill Peters character...
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ninja

It could have been a term thing as well? Maybe he wanted 4+ years and those two teams didn't want to commit because they (the GM's) may have needed a potential scapegoat in 2-3 years.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

Overrated/clueless coach who stumbled into a great situation and was carried to a cup by two generational talents.

Not surprised he's still unemployed.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Well then...

The guy is picking his spots and I guess there's nothing wrong with that. I think he is a pretty good coach and that he'll get hired soon. I wonder if he wanted the WSH job but they just wanted Trotz...? Also interesting that he didn't want to go coach the Staal family in CAR... or maybe he did but couldn't work out a deal. Those are not necessarily two rich teams so maybe cash was the issue in the end?..

Thanks for posting. Interesting to know.
    Carolina was rumored to be looking for a cheap option to their head coach so my guess salary very much played a role in Bylsma not choosing to go there. He's one of the highest paid coaches in the league despite sitting on his ass at home so he didn't need to take the first job opportunity coming his way when it would have come with a paycut too.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Star

Since bylsma is getting paid anyways no need to rush back in. Taking a year off to cherrypick your future team situation seems fine by me.

The first opportunity isn't always the best one. Gotta give yourself the best chance to succeed.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    Since bylsma is getting paid anyways no need to rush back in. Taking a year off to cherrypick your future team situation seems fine by me.

The first opportunity isn't always the best one. Gotta give yourself the best chance to succeed.
    Exactly, and if the team isn't offering much more than what he would receive anyways, may as well wait.

Great post. Cheers.