Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocky Horror Roto Show 2014/15

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Rocky Horror Roto Show 2014/15

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Yes. Glad I posted a reminder.
    Ha! I knew... I've been studying for this one for months now.
    I even hired three retired investigators to visit the homes of my competitions to get their draft strategies.
    Considering I'm drafting inside of shoeless/hf/chili on one side and temek/lotr on the other side... this should be awesome.
    Prepare for a LOT of cussing!

Also - I plan to be drunk.
    ps. Note to past champions: Put away the FHG this year... don't be a robot.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Ha! I knew... I've been studying for this one for months now.
    I even hired three retired investigators to visit the homes of my competitions to get their draft strategies.
    Considering I'm drafting inside of shoeless/hf/chili on one side and temek/lotr on the other side... this should be awesome.
    Prepare for a LOT of cussing!

Also - I plan to be drunk.
    ps. Note to past champions: Put away the FHG this year... don't be a robot.
    I knew you wouldn't forget.

Good thing I live on the street then. The sacrifices I have to make to ensure my strategies are kept secret.

Yeah really looking forward to it - should be fun. My pick at #3 will likely be...

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I knew you wouldn't forget.

Good thing I live on the street then. The sacrifices I have to make to ensure my strategies are kept secret.

Yeah really looking forward to it - should be fun. My pick at #3 will likely be...
    Crosby - I reckon he falls.

The Wolverine

T-minus 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Crosby - I reckon he falls.
    same!

Dobber Sports Icon

C'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon

Man I am unbelievably stoked for this draft.

The new GF is sitting beside me, this is her first experience seeing me in fantasy hockey mode. Wish me luck fellas. Hopefully she sticks around after tonight haha
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post

The new GF is sitting beside me, this is her first experience seeing me in fantasy hockey mode. Wish me luck fellas. Hopefully she sticks around after tonight haha
    You totally need to let her make some of your picks haha

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    Not a great idea, but an oil massage starting in the middle of the second round would probably work.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well, if she doesn't stick around, you always have us, Gabe.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    The only player she can name other than Crosby is Todd Bertuzzi, so I think that might cause me more than a little trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Not a great idea, but an oil massage starting in the middle of the second round would probably work.
    She has totally been "threatening" to distract me along those lines. Were the last few months just a complete lie and she is really on Shoeless' payroll to distract me during the RHRS draft?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The only player she can name other than Crosby is Todd Bertuzzi, so I think that might cause me more than a little trouble.

She has totally been "threatening" to distract me along those lines. Were the last few months just a complete lie and she is really on Shoeless' payroll to distract me during the RHRS draft?
    Damn, you figured it out. Well, she can go home now - check is in the mail.

She does lie a lot - she told me she is Frank Mahovilich's grand daughter and that didn't check out.

Dobber Sports Icon

Draft room is open!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thought I'd post my Draft "Manifesto"... to see how it went:

Pengwin7’s RHRS Draft Strategy – Before & After
    My Team: BranStamkers Backula

Well… it’s that time. My favourite one-year draft.
    Although I have finished 2nd (2012) and 3rd (2013) in previous years, this year should be even tougher with sharp new GMs.

I do have a strategy though, so here it is… along with who I’d like to snag, followed up by who I got.
    (Yahoo Draft Position in Brackets)

Round 1 (Pick 05). I’m pretty sure that the first three picks off the board will be Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos… at least they should be. This leaves two of Malkin, Giroux, and Getzlaf on the board at my #5 pick.

Who I want: Giroux (8). All those FOW from the RW, yummy, yummy and so valuable. Plus I’m a PHI fan. One of my fave draft competitors, horrorfan, snagged Giroux at #3. He knows the number. This will be the first of two times he breaks my heart this night. The 2nd is when he sneaks my fave player Mike Richards from just before me in the 19th round.

Who I’ll settle for: Getzlaf (6).

Who I got: Steven Stamkos. There's no denying Stamkos value, and while he's not a player I really love, as long as he's healthy, he's a top 5 player.

Round 2 (Pick 20). This should be a very interesting pick. Remember the first round, those are likely all skaters chosen, which means the 4 people picking between me at the turn are just ITCHING to add a quality goalie. At this point, I have two strategy tracks I could take… if my guys are there, I’m taking them and going with a NO-GOALIE DRAFT STRATEGY. If my guys are NOT there, I’m taking a goalie on back-to-back picks and hope to make people overdraft crappy goalies feeling that a “run” is happening.

Who I want: Backstrom (70), Kopitar (18) or Toews (19). Again, I’m looking to dry up the quality center slot. There’s only about 12 C-only top players. That’s one per team. If I can land 2 or 3… I’m making everybody nervous.

Who I’ll settle for: Subban (16) or Karlsson (17). If for some reason, they get passed over, I’ll take them. If for some reason all five of these guys are gone, I’m liking taking Carey Price or Cory Schneider and changing tact to a Goalie-Goalie draft strategy.

Who I got: Nicklas Backstrom. This was actually an important pick because Shoeless, last year's champ, snagged Ovechkin at #2... and this sort of ties my to Shoeless as our ELITE picks lead our team.

Round 3 (Pick 29). I’m really hoping… and expecting… that the four teams inside me at the turn go goalie-goalie. There are SIX guys I’m just itching for at this pick… and they’ll all be gone by the time it gets back to me. Ideally, I’m still looking to add a 3rd FOW player, hopefully wing-eligible.

Who I want: Pavelski (28), Duchene (33), Mackinnon (39), Couture (26) in that order. All but MacK taken... smart, smart GM group.

Who I’ll settle for: Backes (50), Weber (38). If these guys are here & Shoeless has passed them over, they’ll for sure be taken by either temek or LOTR after my pick.

Who I got: Anze Kopitar. Woohoo. Amazing one of my picks for Round 2 fell through to me. With a big focus on wing-eligible centers, he slipped through. I'll take him, and I'm thrilled.

Round 4 (Pick 44). If all has gone according to plan, I’m sitting with three centers, minimum ONE wing-eligible and hopefully TWO wing-eligible. I’m likely “reaching” with this next pick… another center I want.

Who I want: Bergeron (54) or Johansen (71), Buff (132) or Thornton (67). Bergeron finished 18th overall in Yahoo! rank last year and his high +/- is something excellent to have.

Who I’ll settle for: Datsyuk (45), Zetterberg (56), or Byfuglien (132). It’s unlikely Buff slid past this smart group of GMs, but if he’s still there, I’m certainly not leaving him on the board for Shoeless. Buff wasn't there, he went 3rd round.

Who I got: Patrice Bergeron. My 4th C-only. I love this pick, but I do need to work out some trades to not bench too many C starts. Of note, MacKinnon almost fell to me... but temek took him two picks before mine. Tough break, as a C/RW would have been sweet for my team at that point.

Round 5 (Pick 53). Again, I have to wait through two like-thinking GMs (Shoeless & horrorfan) to make TWO picks each before I get my shot again. This will be really interesting to see what’s left here. It wouldn’t surprise me to see either of them reach for the “Poor Man’s Backes”: Brandon Dubinsky, who is pegged at Yahoo! #97, but who I have in my spreadsheet as #28 skater.

Who I want: Krejci (79). I have him ranked as the #20 skater in this format. He’d potentially my 5th FOW man through 5 rounds and I know damn well that I need either 6 or 7 FOW guys to be top three in FOW in this roto league.

Who I’ll settle for: Carter (76), Steen (75), Kesler (68), Wheeler (84). Wheeler would be the first non-FOW player I’d take… but he is very healthy and having a rock is always nice.

Who I got: Ryan Johansen. I guess his contract talks got everyone nervous and I'm thrilled he slipped Better sign!

Round 6 (Pick 68). I’m going to be really, really reaching… but I want to go Defense-Defense in these next two picks. There’s sort of a lull in quality FOW/scoring centers after the first 5 rounds. The draft gets stocked with solid wingers, but I’m intent to Zag while others Zig.

Who I want: Giordano (102) or Phaneuf (131) or Burns (142). The one guy I absolutely want as part of my strategy is Brent Burns because I can roster him in a RW slot to get me BLK. That effectively gives me 6 rostered BLK guys while everybody else has just 5 in their D slots. But “reaching” also can hurt value. The big decision is which to reach for here. Phaneuf is likely to go off the board first… and selecting Burns would surely trigger hf or shoe to take Phaneuf. I’m going to try to take Phaneuf here and then snag Burns on the way back, but I’ll cry if it fails. No such luck, Phaneuf & Burns both went 5th/6th round before my round 6 pick. The word was out... apparently.

Who I’ll settle for: Hornqvist (96), Little (109).

Who I got: Brandon Dubinsky. Amazing he fell, so happy.

Round 7 (Pick 77). See summary above. The picks here get a bit jumbled, so all could be available.

Who I want: In an ideal world, I’ve snagged Phaneuf (131) or Giordano (102) and take Burns (142) here.

Who I’d settle for: Hornqvist, Little, or if both gone… Iginla (84) or Stepan (136), as he is probably going to be gobbled up early if my Operation: Center-Deplete has gone well.

Who I got: Mark Giordano. Well, I missed on Phaneuf & Burns, but Gio fell... and he could be the best of the three, so I'll smile and move on.

Round 8 (Pick 92). At this point in the draft, I’ll have a feel towards “reaching”. There are a ton of quality Yahoo! players ranked at the 130s area and many will have been reached for already. People might also start taking some deep reaches towards Hanzal and Vermette if I’ve depleted the center position enough.

Who I want: Stepan (136). With B-Rich gone, there’s a lot more PP time and a lot more FOW for him. Stepan went Round 7.

Who I’ll settle for: Hanzal (167). Arizona stinks, but it should also mean more FOW & PP time for Hanzal. Hanzal went round 11 and with 4C, I had to remove myself from considering him.

Who I got: Patric Hornqvist. Another pick I'm thrilled about. If James Neal can be a top 10 multi-cat guy, Hornqvist can be top 40... and that's just fine.

Round 9 (Pick 101). I have to remind myself of something right here. PPP. At this point in the draft, I very quickly get distracted and start reaching for top level HIT, BLK players… but my downfall in past leagues was not stocking enough PPP and I really need to do this here and continue doing it for three more rounds.

Who I want: Vrbata (138) or Koivu (165).

Who I’ll settle for: Bozak (175) or Filppula (153) or Wisniewski (108).

Who I got: Niklas Backstrom (MIN). With the Harding news, I thought this was a good pick. And I had hoped to get Kuemper later, but missed out. One round earlier than I wanted, but this GM crew is sharp... and I'm not sure he'd slide another 15 picks.

Round 10 (Pick 116). Yes… I may still have no goalie. I’m completely fine with that. I’m prepared to go full back-ups this year and not even going to pluck one off waivers until they show some value. But I will go after Niklas Backstrom (MIN) if he’s there at this pick. With the recent Harding news, Backstrom seems like he’ll get the early starts. And I hopefully can late draft Harding and maybe Kuemper to secure 82 games from the MIN goalies = wonderful.

Who I want: N.Backstrom (MIN). Or if he’s gone, Bozak (175) or Brassard (238). Should be more FOW & PP for Brassard as well with B-Rich gone.

Who I’ll settle for: Palat (155), T.Johnson (172), and Callahan (152) will all do.

Who I got: Marian Hossa. Steady stat player. I need one of those because my team is solid.

Round 11 (Pick 125). I’m simply going to reach for Troy Brouwer here. I have him as my #56 skater in this format with last year’s stats.

Who I want: Troy Brouwer (275). My draft nemisis horrorfan took him in round 10.

Who I’ll settle for: Who knows.

Who I got: Jake Allen. I expect him to get 30 stars, if Backstrom starts 50, I've now got my first 82 games. STL/MIN goalie numbers should be very good.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

*Did any of you guys get the draft results emailed to you?
    Can you email to me (email per league GM info)?
    For some reason, I didn't get emailed results and they don't export well by cut & paste from the "Draft Results" page.
    They do export nicely from an emailed list.

Yucky format:
    Round 1
    1. Sidney Crosby
    (Pit - C)
    Dead & Fleuried
    2. Alex Ovechkin
    (Was - RW)
    Duchenesaw M...
    3. Claude Giroux
    (Phi - C,RW)
    Ichi the Hiller
    4. Evgeni Malkin
    (Pit - C,RW)
    Ogie Ogre-th...
    5. Steven Stamkos
    (TB - C)
    Pavelnormal ...
    6. Tuukka Rask
    (Bos - G)
    Recchident Evil
    7. Henrik Lundqvist
    (NYR - G)
    Briere Witch...
    8. Jonathan Quick
    (LA - G)
    Skinner & Si...
    9. John Tavares
    (NYI - C)
    House of 100...
    10. Jamie Benn
    (Dal - LW)
    Natural Born...
    11. Corey Perry
    (Anh - RW)
    Nightmare on...
    12. Carey Price
    (Mon - G)
    Carey on Scr...

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    *Did any of you guys get the draft emailed to you?
    Can you email to me (email per league GM info)?
    For some reason, I didn't get emailed results and they don't export well by cut & paste from the "Draft Results" page.
    They do export nicely from an emailed list.
    No, though I don't know if they normally do that. I usually only get emails from mocks.

I tried cutting and pasting, and like you said it's not very nice.