Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ryan Johansen & Yakupov for Wheeler & B. Schenn

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Ryan Johansen & Yakupov for Wheeler & B. Schenn

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    My critique isn't harsh - I am usually on the conservative side for estimates with how young players will perform.
    The main issue is he did not look good at all the past two years. He struggled to create offense and he down right looked out of place. Some thought he wasn't going to cut it at the NHL level. Yes, it's incredible what he accomplished this year at such a young age and that is promising, but it doesn't change the fact the past two years he looked lost.

But thank you for the very, very tempered input.
    So like....he developed and started putting his game together at the NHL level....?

And like....progressed and stuff....?

Weird.

Dobber Sports Wizard

if you aren't sold on him and prefer Wheeler then make the deal, after all it is your team

but if you are looking to convince the rest of us I think you are going to struggle with that

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    if you aren't sold on him and prefer Wheeler then make the deal, after all it is your team

but if you are looking to convince the rest of us I think you are going to struggle with that
    Convince? I was just surprised everyone was saying RyJo and was worried people were getting caught up in hype, so I asked is it not possible that Johansen will never put up Wheeler's numbers.

This thread was going great and some valuable input was being given until you freaked out over a minor detail. Yes, he developed and progressed; my main point was the year prior he looked lost. So of course I am a bit skeptical when all the sudden people think he will be a superstar. Will he be good? Yes. But in a trade like this you need to look at it critically and take an educated guess as to whether he will be a 60pt guy or a 70pt guy.

And, well, your advice did neither. You just freaked out. So thank you for your valuable insight.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I didn't freak out at all, I just don't understand why a player playing well at 21 years old is somehow taking too long

shit Wheeler was 25 before he broke 60 points and has only done so twice in his career, three times if you prorate the lockout season, and has never even put up 70 points even though he is somehow now a lock for 70

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    I didn't freak out at all, I just don't understand why a player playing well at 21 years old is somehow taking too long

shit Wheeler was 25 before he broke 60 points and has only done so twice in his career, three times if you prorate the lockout season, and has never even put up 70 points even though he is somehow now a lock for 70
    I did not intend to say he "took too long to develop". Given the context what I meant is that he did not look good the year prior, and then had a big year in his contract year. So I apologize for my less-than-ideal wording choice. Basically, I am a little weary when people instantly say to take him over a more established player such as Wheeler, who right now is putting up better stats. So that is why I ask.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I did not intend to say he "took too long to develop". Given the context what I meant is that he did not look good the year prior, and then had a big year in his contract year. So I apologize for my less-than-ideal wording choice. Basically, I am a little weary when people instantly say to take him over a more established player such as Wheeler, who right now is putting up better stats. So that is why I ask.
    look I am sorry I guess I just dont understand the purpose of this thread to be honest with you, it sounds like your mind was already made up and you expected things to go much differently than they did when you were 'seeking' advice, but now that the advice is running contrary to your thinking you are digging in

to me it seems obvious that you will not be convinced to keep Johansen here, there are no guarantees that anyone can give you that Johansen will do X,Y and Z so if that is what you need to be convinced it isn't going to happen, you may as well just go with your initial thoughts

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max