Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Johansen & Yakupov for Wheeler & B. Schenn

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Ryan Johansen & Yakupov for Wheeler & B. Schenn

On current value, I'd say Ry-Jo vs. Wheeler is damn close to even.

So... we're looking at Yak vs. Brayden Schenn.
    For me, even struggling, I've gotta keep Yak.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Sticking point for me is both.

I think RyJo and Wheeler are pretty even right now, but we don't know how high RyJo can go. Wheeler is what he is.

I like Yak much much much much much (how many times should I type this to emphasize it?) much better than Schenn. Sure he might bust and be in the K in 2 years. Or he could become a 70+ point player. Yak's downside is 0 (gone to the KHL) but his upside is like 85. Schenn's downside is 30 but his upside is 50. Worth the risk.
    Schenn was an almost 100 point Jr player, who was PPG in the AHL and had 41 points in his first FULL NHL season. How could his upside only be 50 points?

I take the RyJo (using that abbreviation because it's hilarious) and Yakupov side here as well, mainly because of the fantastic upside, but Schenn has lots of room to grow yet.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Schenn was an almost 100 point Jr player, who was PPG in the AHL and had 41 points in his first FULL NHL season. How could his upside only be 50 points?

I take the RyJo (using that abbreviation because it's hilarious) and Yakupov side here as well, mainly because of the fantastic upside, but Schenn has lots of room to grow yet.
    I personally think he's awful. Not a good NHL player. That's why I qualified my statement by starting out with that. I'm biased. I don't like his talent level or his game or his play style. Don't like anything about him. What can I say. I don't think his upside is any better than a 50 point JAG.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I personally think he's awful. Not a good NHL player. That's why I qualified my statement by starting out with that. I'm biased. I don't like his talent level or his game or his play style. Don't like anything about him. What can I say. I don't think his upside is any better than a 50 point JAG.
    What's JAG?

Why do you think he's so horrible?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Tempting but I'm sticking with RyJo and Yakity Yak. A little more exciting and a little more upside (if it's ever realized).

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Wow. I am surprised it's so unanimous. Thanks for the input, everyone. Is the sticking point Schenn? Would you do it if it were just Johansen for Wheeler?
    With RJ's hype you should be able to land more than just Wheeler (Especially without giving up Yaks). Shop him around and see the deals you get for him if you really want to move him but honestly I'd keep both RJ and Yak
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

JAG - Just a guy, nothing special

I dunno. Pretty much stems from the WJC where he led the tournament in scoring. Which sure, for any player is impressive, but it was one of the worst WJ talent pools we've had in the last 10 years (tournament wide) and half of his points were fluky as hell that involved very little skill or really had anything to do with him at all other than the puck just hitting him. Despite leading the tournament in scoring he actually had a pretty terrible tournament and played pretty bad, and from that point (because of his point totals) the hype machine on him went out of control. He's not a player I would ever own. If I saw him on waivers in my league (hell, he was on waivers in my league last season) I wouldn't even bother trying to pick him up. Just my opinion, I don't like anything about him.

Dobber Sports Expert

As much as i love Wheeler as i own him in all leagues i take the RJ and Yakupov side as well. The upside is so immense and RJ already is close to Wheeler.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    As much as i love Wheeler as i own him in all leagues i take the RJ and Yakupov side as well. The upside is so immense and RJ already is close to Wheeler.
    Sure, but if it were just RJ for Wheeler, you could argue that RJ may never produce over 65 points, 250 shots, and 150 hits - whereas Wheeler likely should do that for at least a few more years... no?

Sure, but if it were just RJ for Wheeler, you could argue that RJ may never produce over 65 points, 250 shots, and 150 hits - whereas Wheeler likely should do that for at least a few more years... no?
    Haha. Now it seems like you just want us to approve Wheeler because that's the side you want. If you want Wheeler, just pull the trigger. He's a really good and consistent option. He just doesn't have the upside that RyJo brings.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Haha. Now it seems like you just want us to approve Wheeler because that's the side you want. If you want Wheeler, just pull the trigger. He's a really good and consistent option. He just doesn't have the upside that RyJo brings.
    No, he is just the piece I care more about on that side of the trade and the other GM is hesitant on the deal because of Yak. So, it could be RyJo for Wheeler. I just want to bring down expectations and take a serious look at RyJo - a player who took a long time to bloom and performed in a career year. I don't want to not make the deal and end up getting burned, so I am trying to spur some discussion on it.

Dobber Sports Ace

RyJo's hype level is a little bit out of control right now. One career season does not a consistent player make. I would be wary of counting on too much from him, he had too many stumbles to get to last season for me to feel comfortable with him right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a big step back next season and only put up 50-55 pts
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Genius

No, he is just the piece I care more about on that side of the trade and the other GM is hesitant on the deal because of Yak. So, it could be RyJo for Wheeler. I just want to bring down expectations and take a serious look at RyJo - a player who took a long time to bloom and performed in a career year. I don't want to not make the deal and end up getting burned, so I am trying to spur some discussion on it.
    That is a tough one. I'm right on the Johansen hype train, and I think he'll be a great player. Wheeler, on the other hand, keeps adding to his arsenal, it seems, and he's looked better every year since coming to Winnipeg.

If you're in win now mode [and your team does look excellent] I'd go for Wheeler, but if you can wait a couple years yet, I think Johansen will be the better player long-term. Looking at your team I might grab Wheeler, but I'm a big fan of both of them, and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I am sorry but he was 21 years old last season how on god's green earth is that a long time to bloom

what did you want 90 points in the NHL as a fetus or something

people really have to step back from this if the guy didn't do it before 20 he took too long to develop crap

sorry come off harsh here but your critique of Johansen is a bit harsh IMO

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    I am sorry but he was 21 years old last season how on god's green earth is that a long time to bloom

what did you want 90 points in the NHL as a fetus or something

people really have to step back from this if the guy didn't do it before 20 he took too long to develop crap

sorry come off harsh here but your critique of Johansen is a bit harsh IMO
    My critique isn't harsh - I am usually on the conservative side for estimates with how young players will perform.
    The main issue is he did not look good at all the past two years. He struggled to create offense and he down right looked out of place. Some thought he wasn't going to cut it at the NHL level. Yes, it's incredible what he accomplished this year at such a young age and that is promising, but it doesn't change the fact the past two years he looked lost.

But thank you for the very, very tempered input.