Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which forwards to drop between Matt Read, Dustin Brown and Frans Nielsen ?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Which forwards to drop between Matt Read, Dustin Brown and Frans Nielsen ?

I need to drop 2 forwards for our upcoming draft (see team and league in sig).

Currently, I'm leaning toward dropping Brown and Nielsen and keeping Read. What are you guys recommending ? I finished 4th overall last year but very very close to the second and third and I will try to go for it this year.

Thanks.
    12 Teams Keep All - 25 players - Pts only (FWD: 1 pt per goal and assist - DEF: 2 pts per goal, 1 pt per assist - GOA: 2 pts per win, 4 pts per SO) / Active roster: 9 Fwds, 4 Defs, 2 Goalies

F: S. Crosby, T. Hall, V. Tarasenko, R. Strome, J. Gaudreau, J. Guentzel, D. Pastrnak , M. Rantanen, S. Aho, P. Buchnevich, E. Kuznetzov, M. Pacioretty, J. Pavelski, J. Marchessault, D. Perron
    D: K. Letang, D. Doughty, J. Carlson, D. Hamilton, B. Montour
    G: V. Husso, J. Quick, C. Hellebyuck, F. Andersen

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Which forwards to drop between Matt Read, Dustin Brown and Frans Nielsen ?

In pts only those players are all more or less equal but I would probably keep Read as I think he has a good chance of playing with Giroux

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Which forwards to drop between Matt Read, Dustin Brown and Frans Nielsen ?

I imagine you're also dropping Gonchar and Nabokov already?

Of those 3 in a points only I think you drop Nielsen for sure (last year was a huge anomaly in my mind, and he's too good a 2-way guy and gets too tough minutes to put up 60+ again, especially now that he'll be 3rd line C behind JT and Grabovski). But to me it's not so simple between Read and Brown - I think it's a safe bet that Brown bounces back to his usual (and consistent) mid 50s production on that top line with Kopi and Gabby, and he's so durable that you can count on that. Last year his minutes were cut significantly, from 19 to 15 or so, I don't think that repeats itself this year. As for Read, I wouldn't have a big problem keeping him over Brown, but he hasn't produced more than mid 40s in his career thus far, he's more injury prone, and his production is going to be tied to playing with Giroux. And everyone seems to think Read's a kid - he's not, he's 28 (only 2 years younger than Brown). I'd go Brown.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Veteran

Brown or Read -

I own Read, but I would probably take Brown here.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Genius

Keep Read
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Stud

My vote would be for Brown. More consistent, less injury prone.
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Ace

Off year for Brown last season. I also think he bounces back to a 50 point season. I would go with the proven commodity in Brown here.

Dobber Sports Stud

Drop Nielsen annnddd.. Probably Read

Dobber Sports Ninja

You know it's a close call when people are all over the board with their replies!

I don't like Brown in a points only type format. I don't think he rebounds nearly as much as some people might think. Tough call between Nielsen and Read for me, I owned Nielsen in several pools last year. I think he gets his points, but maybe less than last season. I would probably keep Read, but it's very close for me. Best of luck with your difficult decision.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    You know it's a close call when people are all over the board with their replies!

I don't like Brown in a points only type format. I don't think he rebounds nearly as much as some people might think. Tough call between Nielsen and Read for me, I owned Nielsen in several pools last year. I think he gets his points, but maybe less than last season. I would probably keep Read, but it's very close for me. Best of luck with your difficult decision.
    You worried at all that Grabo and Kulemin cut into his PP time at all? Thats my biggest thing with Nielsen at this point. I always saw him as a 3C so last season surprised me, so now with the additions they made in free agency, + Strome + getting JT back, I worry he won't get the minutes to hit 50 points.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    You worried at all that Grabo and Kulemin cut into his PP time at all? Thats my biggest thing with Nielsen at this point. I always saw him as a 3C so last season surprised me, so now with the additions they made in free agency, + Strome + getting JT back, I worry he won't get the minutes to hit 50 points.
    Definitely worried about Grabo and Kulemin changing things up for the worse for Nielsen. That said, ol' Frans is pretty talented on the PP and I think he'll get some opportunities. I don't see Strome being a big factor this season (with regards to affecting Nielsen's point totals), nor will JT playing hurt Nielsen's playing time too much. I think Nielsen will struggle to hit for 50 this season. He has the talent to do so, but will he get as much opportunity as he had last season? Probably not.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hmm, difficult choice here. I think it all comes into guessing the chances that Read plays on the 1st line. Brown should rebound but by how much ? I like Nielsen but he is now behing Grabo and Kulemin and I think he will play a more defensive role. For the record, I'm dropping Gonchar, Carle and Nabokov also.
    12 Teams Keep All - 25 players - Pts only (FWD: 1 pt per goal and assist - DEF: 2 pts per goal, 1 pt per assist - GOA: 2 pts per win, 4 pts per SO) / Active roster: 9 Fwds, 4 Defs, 2 Goalies

F: S. Crosby, T. Hall, V. Tarasenko, R. Strome, J. Gaudreau, J. Guentzel, D. Pastrnak , M. Rantanen, S. Aho, P. Buchnevich, E. Kuznetzov, M. Pacioretty, J. Pavelski, J. Marchessault, D. Perron
    D: K. Letang, D. Doughty, J. Carlson, D. Hamilton, B. Montour
    G: V. Husso, J. Quick, C. Hellebyuck, F. Andersen

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by vallaird View Post
    Hmm, difficult choice here. I think it all comes into guessing the chances that Read plays on the 1st line. Brown should rebound but by how much ? I like Nielsen but he is now behing Grabo and Kulemin and I think he will play a more defensive role. For the record, I'm dropping Gonchar, Carle and Nabokov also.
    Brown's main value is wasted in your league since you don't count hits. He should bounce back a bit but he's never been a big point producer
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by vitun-tyhmä View Post
    Brown's main value is wasted in your league since you don't count hits. He should bounce back a bit but he's never been a big point producer
    Still capable of hitting 50+ which is on line with Nielsen and more than anything Read has done

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Still capable of hitting 50+ which is on line with Nielsen and more than anything Read has done
    Yeah but we know Brown's ceiling, we don't know Read's
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15