Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [Conspiracy Theory] Sunrise, Florida: Tanking for Re-Location

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: [Conspiracy Theory] Sunrise, Florida: Tanking for Re-Location

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I think I get where you are going... they could have just overpaid players for ONE year to create the "massive loss" that will justify their intents to move the team.
    But if that were the case, the NHL and statistics pundits would say "Well, PlayerX and PlayerY are off the books this summer... the payroll is smaller and this will improve your yearly loss."
    For sure, I was thinking the same thing, one year makes no sense because they're off the books and you have no problem the following year. But I think a three year commitment would have got the job done and left the franchise in better shape once they relocate. Who knows, maybe they wanted to make darn sure they are looking in terrible shape though.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The more I think of this, the less likely I see it. Intentionally losing tons of money with the hopes of maybe moving the team seems awfully risky.
    Most financial decisions involve some amount of risk.
    90% of new businesses fail. (I believe this is the ballpark figure.)
    It's the 10% of businesses that succeed... and those that succeed go BIG.

To me... this is a risk that a billionaire should love.
    I mean - these Florida Panthers could become a "Colorado Avalanche" franchise.
    Could you see that?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Severely overpaying marginal players for long-term was a way to achieve both of those items.
    And... very easy to do!
    Or it could be a short burst of well-intended but seriously misguided exuberance caused by some thick rose-colored glasses worn by new ownership. The Sabres' dealings with Ville Leino and a few others right after Pegula took over come to mind as recent precedent.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    The Sabres' dealings with Ville Leino and a few others right after Pegula took over come to mind as recent precedent.
    There seems to be some parallel there, in hindsight.
    But I think that some NHL scouts genuinely thought that Leino could... possibly... be a break-out star worth the money.

Everybody in the NHL has seen enough of Dave Bolland to know that he's not worth $5m.

Dobber Sports Deity

Dave Bolland thinks Dave Bolland is worth 5M. In fact, he thought he was worth 5.5M if I am not mistaken.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

There seems to be some parallel there, in hindsight.
    But I think that some NHL scouts genuinely thought that Leino could... possibly... be a break-out star worth the money.

Everybody in the NHL has seen enough of Dave Bolland to know that he's not worth $5m.
    Yeah, I don't doubt that's true about Leino (or Bolland, for that matter). I recall generally that the talking heads were quite interested in where Leino was going to end up during that free agency period. But I also recall a moderate amount of surprise over the size of the deal he ended up getting. The strongest commonality here might be franchises with some newfound cash to throw around that was burning a hole in the owners'/GMs' pockets as the fanbase clamored for the team to spend, spend, spend.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Ninja

Most financial decisions involve some amount of risk.
    90% of new businesses fail. (I believe this is the ballpark figure.)
    It's the 10% of businesses that succeed... and those that succeed go BIG.

To me... this is a risk that a billionaire should love.
    I mean - these Florida Panthers could become a "Colorado Avalanche" franchise.
    Could you see that?
    Or they could become the Las Vegas Sinkholes and he's just moved himself into a position where the team isn't doing much better.

I'm not saying it's impossible, and these guys are always thinking about how to make a buck, but this seems like an awfully long con in my books. However, you get points for bold, and should it come to pass in the next couple season then you win internet points galore!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'll tell you one more juicy thing I just read.

Anybody know who Michael Yormark is?
    He used to be the Panthers President & COO.
    In April 2012 he actually got into it with New Jersey Devils fans on Twitter!

When Viola/Cifu bought the team in Sept, 2013 (including all minorith shares), they made Yormark the president & CEO.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...iola-doug-cifu
    (The link to the twitter thing comes from this article)

Then in Mar, 2014 - Yormark left the Panthers to go to "Roc Nation"... Jay-Z's company.
    And it says that two other Florida Panthers went to Roc Nation in same article.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenhe...nation-sports/

Now owner Vincent Viola used to own a minority stake in the Nets.
    Where... he became friends with... Jay-Z... another minority owner at the time.

From article:
    Not everything Mr. Viola has touched turned to gold: He lost millions on a minority investment in the New Jersey Nets basketball team.
    But even that came with an upside, as he became friends with Jay Z, another Nets minority owner at the time.

So back to this Yormark who, after 11 years with Sunrise, decides to step down from his cozy position to go to buddy Viola's friend Jay-Z's company.
    Another conspiracy support thought: Why did Yormark leave?
    Does he worry that there isn't a long-term position for him with the Panthers?
    What does it say when a guy leaves his company for another company - familar, very familar to his boss, Viola?
    Takes a position as president of a company owned by Viola's friend, Jay-Z.

People at the top share their business strategy plans.
    So Yormark's leaving might be another sign that there is no good long-term management positions for Florida Panther employees!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Would the management stay the same even if they moved to a different city?

Dobber Sports Expert

This is my conspiracy theory.
    Remember Quebec.
    It's happening again.
    Oh! Je me souviens.

This might be better than your Song of Ice and Fire theory
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Would the management stay the same even if they moved to a different city?
    I would think yes.
    But not if they're sold.

I have not read anything about Viola or Cifu that strikes me that they have even the slightest interest in hockey.
    And I'm all too familar with this in Atlanta. The Thrashers ownership (who still own Phillips Arena and the Atlanta Hawks) are called The Atlanta Spirit... and there is not a drop of hockey blood amongst those guys.
    Good 'ol boys.
    There's a big difference, IMO, in having an owner who actually seems to enjoy the game of hockey.

Cifu graduated from Columbia Law School in 1987.
    Viola is tough-nosed Italian with military background, from what I've read. But I haven't come across a single thing suggesting he's ever had any involvement or enjoyment of hockey pre-Panthers ownership.
    Viola graduated from New York Law School in 1982.
    And together they formed and own Virtua Financial.

Do you know who else graduated from New York Law School... in 1977?
    Wait for it.
    Wait for it.

Yup, you knew it was coming.

Now... you're all really hooked!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well this has been an enjoyable read. I hope we bookmark it to applaud you if it comes true.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'll tell you one more juicy thing I just read.

Anybody know who Michael Yormark is?
    He used to be the Panthers President & COO.
    In April 2012 he actually got into it with New Jersey Devils fans on Twitter!

When Viola/Cifu bought the team in Sept, 2013 (including all minorith shares), they made Yormark the president & CEO.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...iola-doug-cifu
    (The link to the twitter thing comes from this article)

Then in Mar, 2014 - Yormark left the Panthers to go to "Roc Nation"... Jay-Z's company.
    And it says that two other Florida Panthers went to Roc Nation in same article.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenhe...nation-sports/

Now owner Vincent Viola used to own a minority stake in the Nets.
    Where... he became friends with... Jay-Z... another minority owner at the time.

From article:
    Not everything Mr. Viola has touched turned to gold: He lost millions on a minority investment in the New Jersey Nets basketball team.
    But even that came with an upside, as he became friends with Jay Z, another Nets minority owner at the time.

So back to this Yormark who, after 11 years with Sunrise, decides to step down from his cozy position to go to buddy Viola's friend Jay-Z's company.
    Another conspiracy support thought: Why did Yormark leave?
    Does he worry that there isn't a long-term position for him with the Panthers?
    What does it say when a guy leaves his company for another company - familar, very familar to his boss, Viola?
    Takes a position as president of a company owned by Viola's friend, Jay-Z.

People at the top share their business strategy plans.
    So Yormark's leaving might be another sign that there is no good long-term management positions for Florida Panther employees!
    Where did you read all this Pengwin? Do you follow the Panthers closely and know all the bloggers and stuff?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by vitun-tyhmä View Post
    Where did you read all this Pengwin? Do you follow the Panthers closely and know all the bloggers and stuff?

No. Just internet links, hopping from one article to the next.
    My pattern recognition and logic are (supposedly) very high... and not surprising us-types like to theorize and form conspiracy theories.
    I/we are delusional sometimes.
    It can be a blessing and a fault.

Not saying I'm right, I'd put my odds at 15% of being right. (statistically being realistic here).

Ultimate "conspiracy theory" on these forums still belongs to fzusher - who once upon a time forecasted the San Jose Niemi signing pursuant to their Hjalmarsson offer-sheet.
    THAT... was an all-time beauty!!!
    He's the master of the hockey conspiracy prediction!
    I'll have to see if I can find that.

Dobber Sports Veteran

This made my morning.

Not sure if it's true, but I would be a diet coke that the Panthers first choice would be Las Vegas, and that if the Panthers move, that's where they will go.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!