Dobber Sports Padawan

Default E. Staal VS. R. Johansen

10 team limited keeper, with these cats:

G, A, P, PPP, SOG, FOW, Hits, Blocks

Which C do you like better?

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: E. Staal VS. R. Johansen

This year, next year? Cap league? Will any of those guys be a keeper? Right now i think Staal might actually be the better option in the long run its RJ.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Stud

My answer is kind of based off of speculation, but it's been speculated we could see Eric Staal shift out to the LW this season while Jordan Staal becomes the 1C. That makes him a write off for FOW. Point Johansen.

Supplemental fact - Ryan Johansen hits more than Eric Staal. As of last season, he also blocked more shots. Point Johansen.

Scoring, IMO, should be pretty close though E Staal showed shades of still having it in the lockout season. Wash.

SOG were basically even. 237 for RJ, 230 for Staal. We haven't seen Staal go over 300 SOG in like 6 or 7 years. Slowly declining. Point Johansen.

Johansen will continue to add the FOW while E Staal maaaaay not. Regardless, Johansen still wins faceoffs at a 53% rate which is comparable to Staal the past 3 years. Conceivably Johansen will get better at faceoffs as time goes on too so we should see him eclipse Staal in that category regardless of if Staal sticks at C or not. Point Johansen.

PPP is volatile but last season Johansen (20) outscores Staal (12). Point Johansen.

As a whole, it looks like i'm taking RJ.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think it's pretty close. Many people undervalue E Staal because the team has been bad and his numbers have dropped off. And Johansen is the new shiny toy. I think Staal wins for the next several years, especially as Carolina improves, but Johansen will overtake him

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    This year, next year? Cap league? Will any of those guys be a keeper? Right now i think Staal might actually be the better option in the long run its RJ.
    Not a cap league. Yes, either one of these would most likely be a keeper.

Personally, whenver I try to assign value to players, I tend not to project longer than the next three seasons. Unless we're dealing with superstars like Crosby and Stamkos, I find it helpful to contain the projections within a 3-season perameter.

So, I guess what I'm asking is...who would you take for the next 3 seasons?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket 10 View Post
    Not a cap league. Yes, either one of these would most likely be a keeper.

Personally, whenver I try to assign value to players, I tend not to project longer than the next three seasons. Unless we're dealing with superstars like Crosby and Stamkos, I find it helpful to contain the projections within a 3-season perameter.

So, I guess what I'm asking is...who would you take for the next 3 seasons?
    My choice was based on next year alone sooooo....

Dobber Sports Deity

I am a bit RyJo fan but right now I still like Staal from a hockey sense. Sure he's slipped a bit but I think he's still the smarter play right now.

It will be interesting to see how Johansen goes after he signs his new deal, when ever that is. The way its going, it won't surprise me to see RyJo hold out into the pre-season and possibly longer.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    My choice was based on next year alone sooooo....
    And still your choice was Johansen. lol

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am a bit RyJo fan but right now I still like Staal from a hockey sense. Sure he's slipped a bit but I think he's still the smarter play right now.

It will be interesting to see how Johansen goes after he signs his new deal, when ever that is. The way its going, it won't surprise me to see RyJo hold out into the pre-season and possibly longer.
    The other thing too is that up until this last season he looked really shaky and many were questioning if he'd even play in the NHL. It's not uncommon for players to catch lightning in a bottle for a season and then fall flat on their faces. The bonus with Staal is that he's a known quantity, you know what he's going to do, you know he's never injured, etc. That counts for something

Dobber Sports Genius

I would take ES for one more year here, but RJ after that.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Padawan

This is the first I'm hearing of E. Staal possibly switching to wing.
    If he get dual position in Yahoo then that should prove interesting.
    But it would definitely hurt for FOW.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Next year : Eric Staal

Year 2-3 and after : RJ
    12 teams keeper league (keep 6 + 1 rookie) H2H points only

Rookie = less than 23 years old and never reached 60pts for a forward / 40 pts for a D

Start : C RW LW S D D G
    Points are : A/G = 1 pt W = 2 pts SO = 1pt

C - Seguin Giroux Stepan
    LW - Huberdeau (R) Parise Tlusty
    RW - Eberle Hornqwist Hemsky Scheifele
    D - Schultz Gardiner Goligoski Brodie Sekera Zidlicky
    G - Fleury Crawford Raanta Greiss

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    SOG were basically even. 237 for RJ, 230 for Staal. We haven't seen Staal go over 300 SOG in like 6 or 7 years. Slowly declining. Point Johansen.
    If you're contending now and for the next few years, I'd definitely take Staal, chances are he'll outproduce, even way outproduce, Johansen in that span. Guaranteed top line ice time and PP1 time, a history of major production, a super durable player, I think people are undervaluing Staal big time. Now if you're a completely rebuilding team, then maybe I go for Johansen instead, but if it's a contending team selling him to me and asking for Staal, I ask for Johansen +.

And for the record, his SOG are certainly declining from the ridiculous 310 and 372 he put up in 08 and 09, but not by all that much. He had 296 as recently as 2011, and during the lockout season a prorated 260 (and that's his lowest in 9 years before last year). I think last year's 230 will prove to be a relatively low figure for the next few years.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Padawan

It's an inaugural draft, so I'm just trying to get a clear ranking for myself.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Not to hijack my own thread, but how would you rank these wingers in the same multi-cat limited keeper?

Neal
    Pacioretty
    JVR
    Parise
    Landeskog
    Ryan
    Wheeler
    Lucic

Thanks again for all of your input. Lots of great feedback...
    I've repped wherever I could.