Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zibanejad or Nylander

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Zibanejad or Nylander

I currently have Nylander, but have been offered Zibanejad (first league). What do you think the difference is between the two? Who should I take long term? I'm kind of torn, or maybe it's a lack of patience to wait on a prospect. Just looking for opinions. My thought is that Nylander has the higher ceiling, but where is that in comparison to Zibanejad?
    14T dynasty
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Zibanejad or Nylander

I'm going with Zibanejad. I am also going to refer you to this thread in regards to prospects and peoples thoughts on how they may pan out:

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...ward-Prospects

Sure, most of the prospects turned out to be legit NHL players but there were also plenty of so-called "can't miss" guesses that didn't pan out. I am not going to say that every prospect coming through is not going to pan out but you already know what you have in Zibanejad and he is only going to improve with his increased ice time and role this year.

I'd have no issues dealing Nylander for Zibanejad but that's just me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

So much Filatov on those lists.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Ace

Without knowing more details about your roster I would say Zibanejad. He is further ahead in development and is sized to withstand the rigors of the NHL game, whereas Nylander's toothpick-like frame may snap when bodychecked. If you are competing now, then definitely Zibanejad.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post
    I currently have Nylander, but have been offered Zibanejad (first league). What do you think the difference is between the two? Who should I take long term? I'm kind of torn, or maybe it's a lack of patience to wait on a prospect. Just looking for opinions. My thought is that Nylander has the higher ceiling, but where is that in comparison to Zibanejad?
    Definitely has the higher ceiling, be patient with this one, it's going to pay off.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'd go with Zibby, almost completely because he has a great opportunity for minutes this year.
    Nylander might be solid... but TOR will wait to give him minutes.
    He's going to have to chug on the 3rd line until he can show he deserves to move up.
    Might be 3+ years before you get anything out of him.
    I suppose it depends if you can "stash" him on a prospect roster... because I sure wouldn't burn an active "PRO" roster spot with him.

Zibby is getting a promotion by default (of exiting OTT players).

Dobber Sports Expert

Zibby for me as well. He is just simply further along in the development and offers nearly the same upside, while also getting a great shot as soon as next season.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Stud

Nylander has a higher potential but Zibanejad is approximately a million times safer. I'd take Z

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Zib is the safe bet here and yeah he will get alot of minutes this year.
    8 Team Keeper League
    Points Only League. 10F, 4D, 1G active.
    Keep 15 end of year - any position & re-draft 5 + 3 IR.
    Scoring Cats - Goals (1), Assists (1)

Goalie Cats - Win (2), SO (3)

F - Crosby, Giroux, Iginla, Ovechkin, Parise, Nugent-Hopkins, Seguin, Johansen, Nash, Yakupov, Semin

D - Barrie, Letang, Shultz

G - Fleury

Dobber Sports Superstar

Surprised so many are taking Zibanejad here. I don't really see him turning into much more then what you could pick up on the waiver wire. Personally I would keep Nylander and all the potential he brings, regardless of if he's a long shot or not. The risk of passing on Zibanejad is minimal compared to the high reward if Nylander hits.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Surprised so many are taking Zibanejad here. I don't really see him turning into much more then what you could pick up on the waiver wire. Personally I would keep Nylander and all the potential he brings, regardless of if he's a long shot or not. The risk of passing on Zibanejad is minimal compared to the high reward if Nylander hits.
    I'd be curious to hear why you think Nylander is the better option. Is it his "upside"? Both were early 1st round picks (Zibanejad 6th overall in '11, Nylander 7th last year). Both played in the SEL and showed a similar type of production in their 1st year there. Nylander has only played one year there, Zibanejad played two and showed a big improvement in his 2nd year, before coming to North America. It will be interesting to see how well Nylander does this year.

I think both have similar upsides. I don't think Nylander brings anything more or less to the table than Zibanejad did back when he was drafted. The main reason most are probably going with Zibanejad comes down to the risk factor. We can see where Zibanejad is going. He will take over the 2C role with Ottawa this year and has already shown he can produce in the NHL. He has progressed in their organization at a good pace. I am not saying the Nylander won't do the same given the same turn around time but I know for myself, seeing is believing. Who really knows how well Nylander will do in the NHL. Toronto will bring its own challenges, being a top pick and high expectations. That isn't the easiest thing to overcome.

In a couple years, Nylander may be everything and more than Zibanejad but unfortunately right now, it's simply a guess if that will happen or not. Zibanejad is young, producing and proving he can do it. Proven vs potential, and that proven we are talking about also happens to be a high draft pick and young. I like that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd be curious to hear why you think Nylander is the better option. Is it his "upside"? Both were early 1st round picks (Zibanejad 6th overall in '11, Nylander 7th last year). Both played in the SEL and showed a similar type of production in their 1st year there. Nylander has only played one year there, Zibanejad played two and showed a big improvement in his 2nd year, before coming to North America. It will be interesting to see how well Nylander does this year.

I think both have similar upsides. I don't think Nylander brings anything more or less to the table than Zibanejad did back when he was drafted. The main reason most are probably going with Zibanejad comes down to the risk factor. We can see where Zibanejad is going. He will take over the 2C role with Ottawa this year and has already shown he can produce in the NHL. He has progressed in their organization at a good pace. I am not saying the Nylander won't do the same given the same turn around time but I know for myself, seeing is believing. Who really knows how well Nylander will do in the NHL. Toronto will bring its own challenges, being a top pick and high expectations. That isn't the easiest thing to overcome.

In a couple years, Nylander may be everything and more than Zibanejad but unfortunately right now, it's simply a guess if that will happen or not. Zibanejad is young, producing and proving he can do it. Proven vs potential, and that proven we are talking about also happens to be a high draft pick and young. I like that.
    Exactly this. Besides, there's room at the top in Ottawa, if Zibanejad produces there are plenty of PP1 opportunities to be had - lots of reasons to think Zibanejad can produce this year.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    Exactly this. Besides, there's room at the top in Ottawa, if Zibanejad produces there are plenty of PP1 opportunities to be had - lots of reasons to think Zibanejad can produce this year.
    I just hope they don't slot him behind Legwand for ES minutes

1PP is likely Michalek, Turris, Ryan but for all we know Zibanejad could be better than Turris. It's anyone's guess at this point but he's in a contract year so let's see what the kid's made of!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

Comparing their pasts outside the NHL is great, and they look equal doing that and I completely understand the reasoning behind taking Zibanejad over Nylander because he is the safer play at this point. You have two players who have seemingly had a similar progression and will likely be headed for a similar outcome. Take the one that is further along on that path, has the opportunity and you know what he brings. The answer there leads you to Zibanejad.

Where I am venturing off the traveled path is once Zibanejad hit the NHL. I had decent expectations for him and thought he would be a solid own, but I have been underwhelmed year after year. At this point I don't see him turning into much more then a moderate Sam Gagner type centre, 50-60 points in a good year, nothing special (again, this is my take and is likely where I may differ from others). That being the case, I would rather take a chance that Nylander is able to develop into a better fantasy asset given all I have to pass on is the moderate production of a Gagner, I'd prefer to take that chance.

I get I may be in the minority with my thinking, but I just haven't been impressed by anything Zibanejad has brought to the table to date.

Dobber Sports Ace

Because Nylander is a lock to be "as-good" as Zibanejad so unless you're in the thick of a serious championship push right now the Nylander is well worth rolling the dice on.