Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TJ Brodie

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: TJ Brodie

Kris Russel and Giordano being the most frequent pairing can be chalked up two ways. Either it means Calgary has no issue putting two LH shooters together on the top PP (which opens doors for Brodie) or it means that Brodie can become a legitimate shooter on the PP2. If not, he's feeding Wideman. All three seem like decent options, no?

Brodie didn't see much PP time last season as compared to the vets but I think that will come with time. Again, 24 y/o, 185 GP. No need to throw a kid into the deep end in his first full season.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Kris Russel and Giordano being the most frequent pairing can be chalked up two ways. Either it means Calgary has no issue putting two LH shooters together on the top PP (which opens doors for Brodie) or it means that Brodie can become a legitimate shooter on the PP2.
    Or it means that their RH options were injured.
    (Wideman being their only real RH PP option.)

Gio/Wideman were both injured for good chunks of last year.
    Giordano early in the season. (Played Oct, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr. Out Nov.)
    Wideman late in the season. (Played Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb. Out Dec, Mar, Apr.)
    This is the main reason their % togther for the year isn't so high.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Or it means that their RH options were injured.
    Not plural sir, Wideman was the only righty on that D core! Going in to this fall the righties are Wideman and Engelland. This team is bordering on DET levels. 4 RH's on the entire team. David Jones, Wideman, Brian McGrattan and Engelland.

Dobber Sports Ace

Wideman is only PP1 out of necessity due to injuries or lack of depth, with Brodie stepping up there's no way the Flames are going to overlook his skating and puck moving ability. He'll take another step forward this season

Dobber Sports Padawan

Wideman wasn't necessarily ushered out of his role only because he was injured. As I mentioned before when he came back from injury he went from 71% PP time to 50%, and to be quite honest he didn't perform well once he returned. When he came back, it was Russell who still received the bulk of the PP1 time until Wideman was hurt again. Then for those last four games of the season he only saw a smattering of PP time.

I live in Calgary and between watching games in-person and on TV I've watched at least 50+ games last year. They had no issues running two LH defenseman out there. And the issues with Brodie are what I brought up before, he still has a tendency of going wide with his point shots instead of getting a shot on net with a rebound. This may have to do with the fact Calgary didn't have a net presence on the PP to score on rebounds so Brodie is looking for the perfect shot and missing more often than he should. And I completely agree this year will be a struggle as well. But knowing Brodie will most likely start with Giordano from Game 1 this year leaves me thinking he becomes a poor-man's Josi to Giordano's poor-man's Weber. 48 and 38 for the pair of them, 32 for Wideman IF he can stay healthy.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Wow! Who new this would generate such discussion and controversy?

Trying to condense this all down, would it be fair to say that he has a promising future in Calgary as a 40-something point defenseman? But that it is up for debate how soon he gets there? (anywhere from 1-4 years?)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by First Round Pick View Post
    ...leaves me thinking he becomes a poor-man's Josi to Giordano's poor-man's Weber. 48 and 38 for the pair of them, 32 for Wideman IF he can stay healthy.
    OK.
    But when the season starts up, spend some time watching when any NHL team has two same-handed players on the PP points together.
    (and again... this is not a debate about Wideman vs. Brodie... it's a point about Brodie's stickside being the same as Gio's.)

It's effective to have a LH-RH pairing.
    This is part of why Josi/Weber work so well together.
    A huge part.
    And it's why Canada went with 4 LH, 4 RH when they picked their D-men... instead of just picking the 8 best by skill.

Here's a good TJ Brodie snip-it of video.
    He's actually got a goal & assist in this game.
    http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020421

But my point is that Brodie lets Giordano play his strong side.
    That is,
    Gio plays his natural LH side at even-strength. (Most LH defensemen play the left side, even-strength.)
    Gio plays the opened right point for PP cannons. (Most LH defenseman switch to right side, for shot angle, on PP.)

Brodie is playing his off (right) side at even-strength.
    Brodie is playing his closed left point on the PP.

Although he has an assist to Giordano in this video, it's a very difficult pass to make... cross-body.
    This is likely a BIG reason why Brodie had only 7 PPP last season - and it's going to continue as Gio's not going off the PP1 right point.

I'd actually be more hopeful in Brodie's point totals IF he was playing with a RH partner, even-strength and PP.

Whether you watch 50 games or not... I'm just saying from experience that it's going to be very difficult for Brodie to chalk up a lot of points unless he's PP1.
    And with Giordano being LH stick, Brodie's blocked from being in a comfortable spot on the CGY PP.
    Wideman's RH stick is simply a better compliment for Gio on the PP.
    If Wideman's healthy, CGY is going to open their PP next season as Wideman(RH,left point)+Gio(LH/right point), simply because of the open stick-side PP play.
    Wideman "open" + Gio "open" is a better PP option than Brodie "closed" + Gio "open".
    (Pengwin7 Bookmark.)

Dobber Sports Ace

you make a fine argument Pengwin7, but what you failed to mention is that almost 2/3 of defensemen in the NHL are LH so having LH-LH pairings is a fact of life.
    On the PP though it should not matter as much unless the coach really wants to keep a particular pairing together maybe.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    OK.
    But when the season starts up, spend some time watching when any NHL team has two same-handed players on the PP points together.
    (and again... this is not a debate about Wideman vs. Brodie... it's a point about Brodie's stickside being the same as Gio's.)

It's effective to have a LH-RH pairing.
    This is part of why Josi/Weber work so well together.
    A huge part.
    And it's why Canada went with 4 LH, 4 RH when they picked their D-men... instead of just picking the 8 best by skill.

Here's a good TJ Brodie snip-it of video.
    He's actually got a goal & assist in this game.
    http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020421

But my point is that Brodie lets Giordano play his strong side.
    That is,
    Gio plays his natural LH side at even-strength. (Most LH defensemen play the left side, even-strength.)
    Gio plays the opened right point for PP cannons. (Most LH defenseman switch to right side, for shot angle, on PP.)

Brodie is playing his off (right) side at even-strength.
    Brodie is playing his closed left point on the PP.

Although he has an assist to Giordano in this video, it's a very difficult pass to make... cross-body.
    This is likely a BIG reason why Brodie had only 7 PPP last season - and it's going to continue as Gio's not going off the PP1 right point.

I'd actually be more hopeful in Brodie's point totals IF he was playing with a RH partner, even-strength and PP.

Whether you watch 50 games or not... I'm just saying from experience that it's going to be very difficult for Brodie to chalk up a lot of points unless he's PP1.
    And with Giordano being LH stick, Brodie's blocked from being in a comfortable spot on the CGY PP.
    Wideman's RH stick is simply a better compliment for Gio on the PP.
    If Wideman's healthy, CGY is going to open their PP next season as Wideman(RH,left point)+Gio(LH/right point), simply because of the open stick-side PP play.
    Wideman "open" + Gio "open" is a better PP option than Brodie "closed" + Gio "open".
    (Pengwin7 Bookmark.)
    I appreciate the good discussion here Pengwin, but the crux of my discussion is not about who is the best fit in terms of shots. Take a look at the team that same Canadian Olympic coach Mike Babcock currently works with in Detroit. While he wanted a LH-RH approach for the team pairs in Sochi, all of Detroit's defenseman are LH shots only.

My point is Calgary, Detroit, etc are not going to throw out a LH-RH combo if the actual players that would take that spot haven't played as well as another player. And I stand by the statement that Wideman wasn't good enough last year to stay in that position. On this team, TJ Brodie is the next best defenseman on the Flames roster.

Let me leave you with the Flames blog Matchsticks and Gasoline for what they thought of Wideman in discussing compliance buyouts in June to further prove the point of Wideman in a Flames uniform:

Dennis Wideman

Dennis Wideman is currently Calgary's highest-paid player. He's due another $5.25 million annually over the next three seasons. He was a free agent signing, so that inflated his value a bit, but he isn't really worth it, despite the All-Star nod he received in 2012. Injuries plagued him this season, but he still only scored four goals and 21 points in 46 games for the Flames this season - fourth in Flames defencemen for scoring - all the while being less than stellar on the defensive end, a problem for someone who is titled as a defenceman (62.2% of his shifts started in the offensive zone last season, 49.8% ended there. He was sheltered and seemed to have a hard time with it).
    Wideman may not even be in the Flames' top four anymore. Of course, once you get past Mark Giordano, TJ Brodie, and depending on how much you love him, Kris Russell, the Flames don't have much of a top four to speak of, so he could certainly work his way back into it. Wideman had a relatively decent start to the year before he was first injured. When he came back, his play dropped off a cliff, and his minutes went way down.
    Still, a team like the Flames can't afford to be picky with who they have on defence: if there's a chance Wideman rebounds (and there is), he could still help out. And his enormous cap hit is actually an asset for the team.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+