Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TJ Brodie

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default TJ Brodie

For a young blueliner he had a pretty great season, what do you guys see for him this year and in the near future?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: TJ Brodie

He should have another solid year and improve on his totals, lets say 37 pts. Long term I can see him settling into the mid 40s, he's got promise

Dobber Sports Master

I think he is a pretty solid option and should get 40 points this season and for the next couple of years. Hugely underrated.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

30-35 points is a safe bet

He has a ton of talent, the rest of that team.... not so much
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Stud

They love him in CGY and he and Giordano are dynamite together. I see him getting pretty close to 40 this season then eclipsing it next year.

Dobber Sports Pro

Wow, there seems to some very high praise for Brodie. I'm not so sure.
    I seem him peaking with a 35-40 pt year some day but that's about it. And it won't be with the current edition of the Flames. Having another 30+ pt season this year is hard for me to see to be honest. If he played for an offensive powerhouse then sure, but I just don't see everything going perfect for him to much better than 25-30pts this year

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    I seem him peaking with a 35-40 pt year some day but that's about it. And it won't be with the current edition of the Flames. Having another 30+ pt season this year is hard for me to see to be honest. If he played for an offensive powerhouse then sure, but I just don't see everything going perfect for him to much better than 25-30pts this year
    He's an exceptionally good puck mover. If he played on an offensive powerhouse we'd be chalking him up for 50 points not 40. Very poised with the puck too. He was fire down the stretch with 13 points and +12 through his last 27 games. He's still young and you could see a big change in his game and confidence when he had Giordano back (cause I mean, would you rather play with Giordano or Kris Russel). He's also still learning how to get his shot through effectively, so I think as he continues playing and adapts (he hasn't even played 200 games yet) he's going to turn into a very good defenceman.

He and Gio really fed off of each other though. We all know how much of a stud Gio was this season but it wasn't by accident. Those two have awesome chemistry.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    i think its because of how well hes played in only his 3rd year, even when a player isn't especially offensively gifted (see McDonough), when you see them playing this well you can easily picture them logging big mins on the top pairing and in that situation they will get the pts (40-45 is great for a keeper dman in most leagues)

The Wolverine

Since only 25 defensemen scored 40+ points last year, I doubt that Brodie will be one of them next season IMO. However, if he gets more PP time and the team produces (only 8 PPP last season), then he could take a step forward.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    He's an exceptionally good puck mover. If he played on an offensive powerhouse we'd be chalking him up for 50 points not 40. Very poised with the puck too. He was fire down the stretch with 13 points and +12 through his last 27 games. He's still young and you could see a big change in his game and confidence when he had Giordano back (cause I mean, would you rather play with Giordano or Kris Russel). He's also still learning how to get his shot through effectively, so I think as he continues playing and adapts (he hasn't even played 200 games yet) he's going to turn into a very good defenceman.

He and Gio really fed off of each other though. We all know how much of a stud Gio was this season but it wasn't by accident. Those two have awesome chemistry.
    Agree with this comment, he's become a very solid player in his own end as well, and playing with probably the most underrated defenseman in the league in Giordano has helped his development exponentially last year, especially in the back half of the season.

Brodie does have some good offensive instincts and will get up on the rush when the opportunity presents itself. The one issue he has still is getting pucks on the net during PP time, I've been to a number of Flames games over the last few years and that's still one area he needs to get better with, for that reason he's sometimes off the first PP unit with Russell moving up. But when he has a shooting lane he has a laser shot and he likes to pick corners... which could be part of the reason for so many missed shots.

I think this year a Giordano/Brodie tandem will get a chance to start fresh, Gio with 47, Brodie with 38. Not quite at 40 yet, but he will be there soon.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Giant

Check out extraskater.com and check out Brodie's possession numbers. Sure, he's only a 51.5% Corsi player, but that's on a horrendously awful possession team. If you take away Backlund, Giordano and Brodie, the Flames are a 43% Corsi team. But Brodie really shines in the "CF% rel" column, where you can view a player's contributions to possession relative to when that player is not on the ice. TJ Brodie ranked 7th in the entire NHL last year with a +8.1% figure -- meaning the Flames generated 8% more shots while Brodie was on the ice than while he was on the bench. That's pretty damn good, and a sign of things to come -- especially when you consider the fact that he was putting up similar, consistent possession numbers while Giordano was out of the lineup for 15 games or whatever it was.

This guy is the real deal, and at 24 years old he should be entering his prime years. I think he's a better offensive player than Giordano by a good margin, and if the Flames show improvement Brodie could really put up some points in the coming years.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'll disagree with others and put Brodie at 32pts for 2014-2015.

I see PP1 as Giordano (LH) and Wideman (RH).
    Both of those guys missed time last year.

If they stay healthy, Brodie (LH) will only get PP2 time.
    So... Brodie had 31pts last year on 24 ESP & 7 PPP, in 24min.
    I'm not sold that any of those is a lock to increase.

Gio had a pretty sensational year and I'm sure Brodie was in on several token assists.
    I believe Brodie was a bit A2 heavy (have to verify).

Thus, the bulk of Brodie's scoring is going to have to come at even-strength with Giordano.
    I'm simply not sold on the Flames as a team that will score a lot at ES.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'll disagree with others and put Brodie at 32pts for 2014-2015.

I see PP1 as Giordano (LH) and Wideman (RH).
    Both of those guys missed time last year.

If they stay healthy, Brodie (LH) will only get PP2 time.
    So... Brodie had 31pts last year on 24 ESP & 7 PPP, in 24min.
    I'm not sold that any of those is a lock to increase.

Gio had a pretty sensational year and I'm sure Brodie was in on several token assists.
    I believe Brodie was a bit A2 heavy (have to verify).

Thus, the bulk of Brodie's scoring is going to have to come at even-strength with Giordano.
    I'm simply not sold on the Flames as a team that will score a lot at ES.
    I found some stats on http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...p&sortdir=DESC but they seem to be missing 5 on 3 points. Brodie's point totals don't add up, I've only got 24 assists accounted for, 10 of which were 1st assists. What is a good percentage for a defenceman anyways?

Maybe my blinders are on, but given that this was his first full season, I love the progression we saw from Brodie and he's definitely a player I want to own going forward.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I disagree on your pretext of Wideman on PP1. Watching many Flames games last year, he was primarily used as a PP2 weapon, and was interchangeable with Russell at best. His injuries contributed as well, but as the season went on, Wideman was seeing his ice-time drop. Using Frozen Pool, he only accumulated 4 PPP last year (2 with Giordano, 2 with Brodie). In the first quarter he was on for 70% of Flames PP time, when he came back from injury he dropped to 51%. Of his 16 points last year (in 46 games), 10 were with Russell, 3 with Gio, 2 with Brodie and 1 with Butler.

Based on how the season progressed last year watching most of the Flames games last year, I am confident predicting Brodie gets more points this year than Wideman.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by First Round Pick View Post
    Based on how the season progressed last year watching most of the Flames games last year, I am confident predicting Brodie gets more points this year than Wideman.
    I would predict this too.
    But it doesn't really have any bearing on Brodie's output.

Simply stated, most teams like to run their point-men on the PP as LH-RH pairing.
    Giordano & Brodie are same hand. (Flames roster here.)
    When this is the case, one guy is going to be in the shooting lane, one is on an off-hand.
    It's just not good news for a rising defenseman (Brodie) to be same hand as the team's primary defensive shooter (Gio).
    Very, very difficult to supplant or replace the guy on the PP1.
    (And I make similar cases against Trouba in Winnipeg).

It is very hard for off-handed defensemen to create offense on the PP.

I think the pro-Brodie folk have to look deep into his position.
    1. He's not a shooter. 104 SOG in 80 games. That's barely over 1 shot per game. He's looking to pass, which means he needs to chalk up a lot of assists. He's deferring on shooting to others.
    2. It's going to be hard to get those on the PP. I'll be surprised if the Flames put LH Brodie with LH Giordano. It's very hard for a LH defenseman to feed the LH cannon defenseman on the PP, just not an "open-handed" set-up from the off-guy (Brodie).
    3. The Flames simply aren't a great team. Their best sniper from last year, Cammy... is gone, he scored 26g. Monahan shot 15.6% = too high. Hudler shot 15.6% = too high. Stajan 20%!!! Glencross 15.6%!!! C'mon! Not repeatable.
    Flames stats from last year, here.

In order of CGY's PP combos on the points last year:
    23.7% Gio (LH) - Russell (LH)
    12.3% Gio (LH) - Wideman (RH)
    11.8% Gio (LH) - Brodie (LH)
    10.8% Russell (LH) - Wideman (RH)
    http://leftwinglock.com/line-combina...P&gametype=ALL
    [Wideman's in two of those four combos... and he only played 46games. Don't forget, Wideman is only 31yrs old. Not exactly graveyard fodder.]

Now, in honesty, I maybe watched 8-10 Flames games. [and I challenge anybody to add up the math on how many NHL games one must watch to see the lesser teams 8-10 times each too! ps. I'm in the US.]
    But as the numbers suggest above, CGY's PP preference is: Gio (LH), Wideman (RH), Russell (LH), Brodie (RH)

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

Is TJ Brodie an excellent rising NHL defensemen? Yes.
    But I don't necessarily believe this will translate to points.