Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2014 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier II: Season 2

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: 2014 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier II: Season 2

For fun, I'll post my draft result and some commentary. I was drafting out of the 10th spot, which isn't too bad - I think mounD said he'd rather draft in the top 5 or 10th and while I agree with that, I was really hoping for (but missed out on) either of Demariyus or Dez. Was really hoping they would both fall to me and I'd be absolutely elite at WR. As it went:

1. (10) A.J. Green (Cin - WR)
    2. (11) Julio Jones (Atl - WR)

Would have taken Graham if he'd fallen to me. Also considered Manning at this point but in we have 3 starting WR spots and passing TD's are only worth 4 pts, so decided to load up on the best WRs available. I also hate the 5-10 ranked RBs and decided to wait and see what would fall to me in the next round.

3. (30) Julius Thomas (Den - TE)
    4. (31) Randall Cobb (GB - WR)

The elite QBs and tier 1/2 RBs are gone at this point, so wanted to grab the last elite position off the board in Thomas and the best available WR to solidy my starting 3. Cobb is also a nice trade piece if one of the flier WRs I took later in the draft work out. I would have selected Ellington or Morris here but they were taken just before my turn.

5. (50) Ryan Mathews (SD - RB)
    6. (51) Joique Bell (Det - RB)

Finally had to grab RBs here. I'm not thrilled with Mathews but he was great to finish out the season last year and there is some upside there. Bell is being hyped as well and I think he's the better RB own in Detroit over Bush, at least. Spiller, Jennings, Tate, Sankey and Richardson were also available and I probably should have gone with Jennings over Bell.

7. (70) Lamar Miller (Mia - RB)
    8. (71) Tom Brady (NE - QB)

I like Miller's chance to break out here and Brady should have a nice rebound this season. I thought about waiting on QB and taking Cutler in the next round but I've never owned Brady and just kind of wanted to see what it felt like, haha. Should probably have gone with Rice instead of Miller here.

9. (90) Golden Tate (Det - WR)
    10. (91) Steven Jackson (Atl - RB)

Tate has a chance to break out and Jackson was a good value pick here, as long as I handcuffed him with...

11. (110) Devonta Freeman (Atl - RB)
    12. (111) Jordan Matthews (Phi - WR)

Atlanta's offense should be better this year and if/when Jackson is hurt Freeman could have great value. Matthews is a lottery ticket here.

13. (130) Rod Streater (Oak - WR)

Lottery ticket - could emerge as #1 WR in Oakland (for what it's worth)

14. (131) Cincinnati (Cin - DEF)
    15. (150) Alex Henery (Phi - K

Overall I think I'll compete and if one of my RBs breaks out I could have a legit shot at winning. If the first few weeks go bad I'll have to flip one of my big WRs for a solid RB but for now content to wait to see how things play out and adjusting as needed.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^That's a beauty summary! (some REP).
    Love the WRs at the 10/11 turn.
    My draft in Tier I had a very similar structure, as I went Megatron(5), J.Nelson(24), JuliusThomas(32), J.Bell(52), B.Tate(60).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks! Here's to Joique Bell!

For those wondering where Gordon might go when it comes to their own drafts - he was taken in the 9th round in ours.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Draft results & Pengwin's (always debatable) Projections are updated on page 1.
    Have a great season boys!!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Evil Empire here, nice writeup Burgundy and good luck to all this year! looking forward to it!!
    14 H2H team dynasty, start 4C, 8W, 6D and 1G

G, A, SOG, GWG, PPP, SHP, H+B, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SA, SV%

C - Tavares, Eriksson Ek, Frost, Geekie
    W - Skinner, Kreider, Sharangovich, Stone, Robertson, Hagel, Tolvanen
    D - Josi, Gudas, Montour, Fehervary, Jones
    G - Andersen

Bench - Ingram, Forsberg, Mrazek

FARM
    F - Bergstrom, Tolvanen, Robertson, Benson, Dube, Balcers
    D - Clague, Guile, Smith
    G - Sparks, Petersen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    Evil Empire here, nice writeup Burgundy and good luck to all this year! looking forward to it!!
    Good to know, couldn't figure out that last Dobber user!!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy View Post

For those wondering where Gordon might go when it comes to their own drafts - he was taken in the 9th round in ours.
    Yeah, that was me. Honestly, it's about a round or two before I had tentatively decided I would start looking at him. But after taking a gander at the rest of the draft board and staring long and hard at the 17 or so picks that stood between my 9th and 10th rounders, I just thought I had to pounce (a decision nudged along by the fact that my #2 draft position left me with slightly lower grade WRs than I'd hoped for heading into the evening). We'll see. Could be a completely wasted pick or a total game changer if I even get him for the second half of the NFL season and can manage to hang in the standings until then.

Fortunately, I work a few blocks from NFL headquarters. So if you'll excuse me, I have to go drop off the first of many handwritten letters and batches of homemade cookies in a pitiful display of begging Roger Goodell to go lightly on the young lad.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Overall, I'm pretty excited about my draft. Here's the results:

1st (1) LeSean McCoy (Phi - RB)

I never get the 1st overall so this was a first for me. I had a tough time deciding between the 3 top RB's but eventually went with McCoy.

2nd (20) Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB)
    3rd (21) Arian Foster (Hou - RB)

Most of the drafts I've been involved in, I'll wait until the middle to late rounds before drafting a QB, but Rogers at 20th overall was a steal imo. With my 1st b2b pick I selected Foster. At this point the elite WR's are gone and Foster was the best value for me at this point giving me a solid 1 - 2 punch for my backs.

4th (40) Pierre Garcon (Was - WR)
    5th (41) Rob Gronkowski (NE - TE)

With my 4th round pick I finally selected my first wide-out. At this point I'm ok with having Garcon as my #1 WR and I expect him to have another huge year. I was praying no one would select Gronk in the 4th, luckily he slid to me and I selected him with the first pick in the 5th round. Not often do you see Gronk slide this far down in the draft and I'm pumped to have a top 2 TE at this point.

6th (60) T.Y. Hilton (Ind - WR)
    7th (61) Jeremy Maclin (Phi - WR)

Nothing out of the ordinary here. Being that this is a start 3 WR I figured I had to fill in some depth here. I hope for an improved season from Hilton and I'm expecting big things from Maclin.

8th (80) Maurice Jones-Drew (Phi - WR)
    9th (81) Colin Kaepernick (SF - QB)

I had a tough time deciding on taking MJD or Steve Jackson, in the end I opted for MJD. In the 9th I selected my 2nd QB in Kaepernick. Probably a little early to select my 2nd QB but meh.

10th (100) Sammy Watkins (Buf - WR)
    11th (101) Mike Evans (TB - WR)

For some reason in all 3 leagues I'm in, I've drafted both Watkins and Evans. Am I expecting big things out of both them? no...but I'm sure hoping that one hits it this year...I'm betting on Evans

12th (120) Zach Ertz (Phi - TE)
    13th (121) St. Louis (Def)
    14th (140) DeAngelo Williams (Car - RB)
    15th (141) Adam Vinatieri (Ind - K)

Took Ertz in case Gronk is out the 1st week, plus if he breaks out this year he could be a valuable trade asset. Overall, I'm super pleased with my team and I believe I have a legit chance at winning this year - barring injuries of course!

Thanks again for having me in the league boys. Best of luck to you all.

-Dobers
    14 Team Dynasty League - 23 man roster, 25 man minors w/ custom cap, salaries & contracts
    Skaters: (Start: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D) - G/A/Pt/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/STP/TOI
    Goalies: (Start 2) - W/GAA/SV/SV%
    C: Schiefele, Zacha, RyJo, Patrick
    LW: Guentzel, J.Robertson, Domi, Kempe
    RW: Puljujarvi, Gurianov, D.Strome, Duchene
    D: Ekblad, E.Karlsson, OEL, Morrissey, Jokiharju, Bear, Weber (LTIR)
    G: MAF, Price, Driedger, Bishop (LTIR)

Minors: (25 max)
    Skaters: Hayton, JAD, J.Boqvist, Dahlen, Bunting, Gusev, Damiani, Groulx, Poehling, Benson, Beaucage, Lind, Sprong,Stankoven, Ahcan, PO. Joseph, McIsaac Goalies: Wallstedt, UPL, Comrie, Ersson, S.Skinner, Skarek, Johansson

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Yeah, that was me. Honestly, it's about a round or two before I had tentatively decided I would start looking at him. But after taking a gander at the rest of the draft board and staring long and hard at the 17 or so picks that stood between my 9th and 10th rounders, I just thought I had to pounce (a decision nudged along by the fact that my #2 draft position left me with slightly lower grade WRs than I'd hoped for heading into the evening). We'll see. Could be a completely wasted pick or a total game changer if I even get him for the second half of the NFL season and can manage to hang in the standings until then.

Fortunately, I work a few blocks from NFL headquarters. So if you'll excuse me, I have to go drop off the first of many handwritten letters and batches of homemade cookies in a pitiful display of begging Roger Goodell to go lightly on the young lad.
    Ummm ... nevermind.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...wr-josh-gordon

W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev

Dobber Sports Icon

Following on Dobers31 rundown, here are my draft results and thoughts:

1 (3rd) - Peterson - with McCoy and Charles gone it was either AP or Forte, couldn't go wrong with either but I'm a big believer in a huge AP bounceback this year and more involvement in the passing game
    2 (18th) - Nelson - with his performance when Rodgers was playing last year, I think he could end up being a top 3 WR this year, but in terms of ADP 18th is about right
    3 (23rd) - Brees - when Rodgers went 20th overall, time was right to either go Brees or pick a QB late, couldn't resist a guy who's had three straight 5000+ passing yard seasons
    4 (38th) - Martin - should be a steal at 38th overall, with the improved OLine (Mankins) (current ADP is 21 and he's been ranked higher than that)
    5 (43rd) - Patterson - it was him or Crabtree, not sure about this one, I think I reached a little early and Patterson isn't the ideal WR2 (a little too much risk)
    6 (58th) - Gore - about right in terms of ADP, I am wary of Gore breaking down so handcuffed him with Hyde 2 rounds later
    7 (63rd) - Colston - reasonably good value, I think he's being undervalued this year due to the foot injury from last year
    8 (78th) - Sanders - could be a steal this late if he ends up producing WR2/3 numbers, but lots of mouths to feed in Denver, much depends on Welker's health
    9 (83rd) - Hyde - see Gore, above
    10 (98th) - Kelvin Benjamin - boom or bust, about right in terms of ADP, he and Sanders producing will make a huge difference in this fantasy team's fortunes
    11 (103rd) - Jackson - excellent value at this late stage of the draft, will be a very good RB4 with his goal line touches
    12 (118th) - Riley Cooper - a meh WR pick, about right ADP
    13 (123rd) - Sproles - a meh RB pick, ended up dropping him for a placekicker for Week 1 (since I hadn't drafted one), more than enough depth at RB without him
    14 (138th) - Gates - a meh TE pick, dropped him for Heath Miller who I think has a better chance to put up low level TE1 numbers
    15 (143rd) - KC DST - good D but man do they have a tough schedule after week 1...

Thoughts welcome!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good luck this season boys!

mounD -- looks like you may have gotten an absolute steal there on waivers last night. Stupid Goodell!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Standings after Week 4

3-1 (406pts) Sam I Am on IR (ross10019) [~]: Brees(3)/AP(1)/D.Martin(4)/J.Nelson(2)/Cordarelle(5)/Colston(7)/A.Gates(14)/Gore(6)
    3-1 (347pts) Goon Squad (skybleacher) [~] Luck(5)/Lacy(1)/Bernard(2)/V.Cruz(3)/A.Johnson(4)/T.Smith(6)/Witten(9)/Sankey(7)
    3-1 (346pts) Astapor Unsullied (dobers31) [~]: Rodgers(2)/McCoy(1)/Foster(3)/Garcon(4)/TY Hilton(6)/Maclin(7)/Gronkowski(5)/MJD(8)

2-2 (425pts) Andreas K's Team (BC Oiler) [~]: M.Ryan(6)/Lynch(2)/Morris(3)/Dez(1)/V-Jax(4)/M.Wallace(7)/V.Davis(5)/SEA-D(8)
    2-2 (419pts) THE Nickel City (clo-clo) [~]: Foles(6)/DeMarco(2)/L.Bell(3)/Megatron(1)/DeSean(4)/Crabtree(5)/Bennett(13)/T-Rich(7)
    2-2 (387pts) 'Bout That Action (dejeanneret) [~]: Stafford(5)/Charles(1)/Jennings(6)/A.Brown(2)/Jeffery(3)/Floyd(4)/J.Reed(11)/Tate(7)
    2-2 (384pts) Burgundy's Beard (Burgundy) [~]: Brady(8)/Mathews(5)/J.Bell(6)/AJ Green(1)/J.Jones(2)/Cobb(4)/J.Thomas(3)/L.Miller(7)
    2-2 (337pts) Porter's Team (Porter) [~]: Newton(6)/Ellington(3)/Gerhart(4)/Marshall(2)/Welker(5)/T.Williams(7)/Graham(1)/SF-D(8)

1-3 (311pts) Evil Empire (Clutch) [~]: Romo(9)/Forte(1)/M.Ball(2)/K.Allen(3)/L-Fitz(4)/Harvin(5)/Cameron(6)/Vereen(7)

0-4 (320pts) mounD (mounD) [~]: Manning(2)/Stacy(3)/R.Bush(5)/Demaryius(1)/R.White(4)/Decker(7)/Pitta(11)/Spiller(6)

No TRADES thus far.
    Surprising to see the top two scoring teams at 2-2 in this league.
    Some crazy week-to-week match-ups.

mounD, oh mounD... what's going on my friend???

Dobber Sports Icon

No trades, and also very little smack talk on yahoo during the weekly competition, let's step it up boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Standings after Week 4

3-1 (406pts) Sam I Am on IR (ross10019) [~]: Brees(3)/AP(1)/D.Martin(4)/J.Nelson(2)/Cordarelle(5)/Colston(7)/A.Gates(14)/Gore(6)
    3-1 (347pts) Goon Squad (skybleacher) [~] Luck(5)/Lacy(1)/Bernard(2)/V.Cruz(3)/A.Johnson(4)/T.Smith(6)/Witten(9)/Sankey(7)
    3-1 (346pts) Astapor Unsullied (dobers31) [~]: Rodgers(2)/McCoy(1)/Foster(3)/Garcon(4)/TY Hilton(6)/Maclin(7)/Gronkowski(5)/MJD(8)

2-2 (425pts) Andreas K's Team (BC Oiler) [~]: M.Ryan(6)/Lynch(2)/Morris(3)/Dez(1)/V-Jax(4)/M.Wallace(7)/V.Davis(5)/SEA-D(8)
    2-2 (419pts) THE Nickel City (clo-clo) [~]: Foles(6)/DeMarco(2)/L.Bell(3)/Megatron(1)/DeSean(4)/Crabtree(5)/Bennett(13)/T-Rich(7)
    2-2 (387pts) 'Bout That Action (dejeanneret) [~]: Stafford(5)/Charles(1)/Jennings(6)/A.Brown(2)/Jeffery(3)/Floyd(4)/J.Reed(11)/Tate(7)
    2-2 (384pts) Burgundy's Beard (Burgundy) [~]: Brady(8)/Mathews(5)/J.Bell(6)/AJ Green(1)/J.Jones(2)/Cobb(4)/J.Thomas(3)/L.Miller(7)
    2-2 (337pts) Porter's Team (Porter) [~]: Newton(6)/Ellington(3)/Gerhart(4)/Marshall(2)/Welker(5)/T.Williams(7)/Graham(1)/SF-D(8)

1-3 (311pts) Evil Empire (Clutch) [~]: Romo(9)/Forte(1)/M.Ball(2)/K.Allen(3)/L-Fitz(4)/Harvin(5)/Cameron(6)/Vereen(7)

0-4 (320pts) mounD (mounD) [~]: Manning(2)/Stacy(3)/R.Bush(5)/Demaryius(1)/R.White(4)/Decker(7)/Pitta(11)/Spiller(6)

No TRADES thus far.
    Surprising to see the top two scoring teams at 2-2 in this league.
    Some crazy week-to-week match-ups.

mounD, oh mounD... what's going on my friend???

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    No trades, and also very little smack talk on yahoo during the weekly competition, let's step it up boys!
    Good thing you've got a comish that's not even in your league to LIVEN your thread up!
    I'm gonna smack you all around just to stir things up!!! BOOM.
    Get the chatter goin' boys, that's what makes it the most fun!!!

And give mounD some shit... 0-4... c'mon....

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    On the trade front, I've tried to make a couple deals but haven't gotten responses (though perhaps that's some subtle commentary on my offers? )

But no smack talk from me as of yet. Honestly, until last week's 142 point outburst, I was becoming relatively convinced that my team would never manage to limp its way into the mid-90's! Now I just need a few more datapoints to see where the anomaly lies . . . Here's hoping!!