Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to ruin a mock draft

Dobber Sports Expert

Default How to ruin a mock draft

I just came up upon this post on SBnation, and thought I should share it. I had a couples of good laughs.

How To Ruin A Fantasy Draft

Laughed my ass off at the "where you there when I drafted Kyle Horton" "we should grab a beer sometime" .

It's obviously a d*ck move to do that, but I had a great time reading that "article" .
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: How to ruin a mock draft

I can't tell whose side I'm on in all this. On one hand it's really senseless and annoying, but on the other hand it's a silly mock draft so who the hell cares? It's pretend pretend sports - 2nd degree pretending. It's just begging for people to shit all over it.

I think I'm in favor of it afterall. That kind of senseless time wasting is pretty much what the internet was built on.

Administrator

I found that hilarious but only because I could see it from afar. I'm way to serious about my fantasy sports not to be offended if that happened to me.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote that follows dobber on Twitter if I recall correctly.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

I...am your father.

That was hilarious!
    Not a fan of mock drafts, never saw the point. But if I was in one and an idiot did that, I would throw the 20 worst players on my autodraft list and open another tab to set up a proper mock draft. Once in awhile, I would jump on the idiot's mock to complement him on his pick. So while he's wasting his time thinking he's wasting my time...really I'm just throwing him enough bones to keep wasting his time while I'm being productive.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Guru

Chandler was my favourite friend was pretty funny. But overall, I didn't find it that funny.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Deity

I've never done a mock draft myself, but that was pretty damn funny.

Thanks for sharing!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't do mock drafts - are the even a thing for Fantasy Hockey?

I assume they would be more a football thing...
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

All honesty mock drafts are super helpful for football. I think they are useless in hockey, but football is a different dynamic. You have to be really careful on how you build your team because of position scarcity at RB, and most draft orders are randomized an hour before the draft, so you have to do more than a couple in different spots (early, middle, late) to get a feel for how to build your team and when to draft players where.

Guys that do this are as bad as trolls on forum sites like this. Mock draft is just a tool for guys to come together and prepare for their fantasy season (just like forum posts or buying a guide) and people that do this are really frustrating. Saying a mock is a waste of time is like saying coming on here is a waste of time. It's a really useful tool to prepare for your fantasy football season.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Loved this!
    Mostly because the Fantasy Football crowd thinks they are the shizz.
    Like they LIVE for this!!! 4-month regular season, 14 weeks.
    Then... fantasy football is so popular that a mock draft room is packed.

But it happens in hockey too.
    I usually do between 10-20 mocks per year... and at least 2-3 are completely Roo-eeened by some idiot.

Dobber Sports Stud

Loved the article, very funny. I loved the "Can you imagine if someone drafted a kicker in the first round" part.

I understand the concept of mock drafts, but don't quite understand how one pick (like Kyle Orton 1st overall) messes up everything. So someone in the 4th slot gets the 3rd best player instead of the 4th, isnt it just like people taking players out of order? Maybe I just don't play enough fantasy football to catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Loved the article, very funny. I loved the "Can you imagine if someone drafted a kicker in the first round" part.

I understand the concept of mock drafts, but don't quite understand how one pick (like Kyle Orton 1st overall) messes up everything. So someone in the 4th slot gets the 3rd best player instead of the 4th, isnt it just like people taking players out of order? Maybe I just don't play enough fantasy football to catch on.
    In a real draft it would be great if someone did that. In a mock draft you're trying to figure out who's going where, and yea it's just 1 player but its not an accurate representation.

Moreso its just really annoying. You know how you feel when someone on the boards is being an a** and trolling and just wrecking every thread. Same concept.

copy

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    I understand the concept of mock drafts, but don't quite understand how one pick (like Kyle Orton 1st overall) messes up everything.
    Well, Yahoo! holds even-numbered mock draft numbers, 10-12-14-16 teams.
    Just about all fantasy football leagues are even numbers, as most are H2H.

So, a GM will join a mock that replicates his league number, say 12 teams.
    So - you join a mock to determine which type of player might fall to you in every round.
    With practice, you'll learn which guys you wanted were snagged before your pick.

Perhaps a GM is lining up PlayerX with his 6th pick in the 5th round.
    In a league full of serious GMs, PlayerX might be picked 2nd in the 5th round.
    Now, a GM knows that if he really wants that guy, he might have to take him in the 4th round.

If a mock has a "joker" in it, then he's not taking quality picks.
    So now, that fool wastes his first FIVE picks.

Which means that you now have PlayerX fall to you in round 5, pick 6.
    You now "believe" that you'll be able to land that player in your own draft in round 5, pick 6.
    But that's not accurate information.
    Once the "joker" is taking his joke-picks, somebody wouldn't know if PlayerX would or would not still be on the board at that pick.

Really, PlayerX may very well be gone early 5th round if a league has 12 GMs... being serious.
    This joker essentially throws off the full mock... from being a 12-team mock to closer to a 11-team mock... which has no value to the serious mock drafter.

Beyond all this, in busy-mock-season, sometimes you might have to sit 10-15min in a "draft room" for the mock to start.
    So you've invested 10-15min of waiting and then you are counting investing 20-40min to do the mock itself.

A mock "joker" can essentially waste an hour of one's time.
    THAT... is the shittiest part.
    (But the article is still funny - and I feel bad for all the serious mockers who had their time wasted for that article!)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Haha I found this really funny. The same way it's really funny when a guy gets hit in the groin, until that guy is you....

I've been in many mock hockey drafts where guys are taking stupid picks either by accident or on purpose ( I remember one where the guy drafted the whole Canucks roster) so you certainly have to take them with a lot of salt. Everytime I mock draft I end up with a team much better than what I can get in my draft, it's more for general "feel" and as dumb as this sounds to make sure I have my draft "process" down pat in the heat of the moment (I even practice doing it really drunk!)

Also, I don't think I've ever been in a hockey draft where all 12 teams were humans, usually half are bots.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR