Poll: Do you use veto vote for trades? If so how many to veto?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Veto votes in your leagues?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Veto votes in your leagues?

How many of you use a veto system for trades? And how many votes are required for a veto?
    12 Team Yahoo H2H
    G A PIM +/- PPP SHP HITS GWG
    W GAA S% SO
    C: Tavares,Giroux,Kopitar,Stepan
    LW: Benn, Kunitz, Lupul, Elias
    RW: Eberle, Wheeler, Hornqvist
    D: Giordano, Yandle, Barrie, Carlson, Zidlicky
    G: Niemi, Bishop

Administrator

Default Re: Veto votes in your leagues?

Vetoing is so bush league.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Vetoing is so bush league.
    Well it depends on the league I think. In a well established league with quality GMs it's usually unnecessary. But in a pickup league where most of the GMs don't know each other don't you worry about abuse and GMs owning 2-3 teams and stuff?
    12 Team Yahoo H2H
    W GAA S% SO

Dobber Sports Giant

I think the veto system is useful for 1-year public Yahoo leagues or something to prevent collusion among GMs, but in established keeper leagues it's useless -- and potentially a detriment.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Well it depends on the league I think. In a well established league with quality GMs it's usually unnecessary. But in a pickup league where most of the GMs don't know each other don't you worry about abuse and GMs owning 2-3 teams and stuff?
    If you are competing in leagues where there's an actual concern of an owner having more than one team then you are competing in a league that's not worth your time.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    If you are competing in leagues where there's an actual concern of an owner having more than one team then you are competing in a league that's not worth your time.
    I guess you don't play in public leagues or leagues where you don't otherwise know who you're playing with. Or you're really trusting.
    12 Team Yahoo H2H
    W GAA S% SO

Administrator

I guess you don't play in public leagues or leagues where you don't otherwise know who you're playing with. Or you're really trusting.
    I play in some public leagues but not for cash.

Dobber Sports Stud

Never used a veto system. As has been stated, if you're in a league where you think managers are colluding then it isn't worth your time to continue with it.

Administrator

IMO vetoes cannot happen aside from blatant collusion. I understand the commish's perspective better than most though after running my own league in the mid-2000s. It really sucks to be left with a couple devastated franchises due to terrible decision-making over the years. It becomes difficult to find replacement GMs for these teams and it hurts the league overall. Every one of the keeper leagues I have ever joined suffered from this after a while. So I get it.

I just don't think it is possible to apply vetoes correctly and not have it ruin the overall trust and the freedom that individuals should have to run their teams in their own way.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    IMO vetoes cannot happen aside from blatant collusion. I understand the commish's perspective better than most though after running my own league in the mid-2000s. It really sucks to be left with a couple devastated franchises due to terrible decision-making over the years. It becomes difficult to find replacement GMs for these teams and it hurts the league overall. Every one of the keeper leagues I have ever joined suffered from this after a while. So I get it.

I just don't think it is possible to apply vetoes correctly and not have it ruin the overall trust and the freedom that individuals should have to run their teams in their own way.
    Often times it ends with people getting their feelings hurt. Nobody wants to be told they got blatantly ripped off. It's embarrassing, disheartening etc etc. Fact is some people aren't as good at fantasy hockey as others, but I've seen some GM's get ripped off pretty badly in the start of a dynasty, pull their socks up and really learn how to hold their own.

If bad trades happen two or three times with the same 2 teams, you have to start to wonder and potentially take action, but for the most part it's best to stay out I think.

Then again, all of my thinking is geared towards dynasty leagues. If you're playing a 1-year Yahoo! Public league then thats much different. Invest some time in a dynasty instead

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

No need for a veto./ In my opinion veto's are like having training wheels on a bike in a way. Deals get made, winners and losers on both sides and each owner has their own intentions on how to build for the future, or trade for the " now". It's not up to the other owners in a league to control their fate. No veto's.

How many of you use a veto system for trades? And how many votes are required for a veto?

Dobber Sports Ace

Not a fan at all. I don't really think it's anyone's place to say no to a trade two people agree on.
    Several reasons not to like it:

1. People not interpreting trades and just vetoing then. Like when someone is mortgaging the future for a win now and the other is rebuilding. Someone could be trading Sharp and MSL for Allen, Barkov, Nurse and a pick or something and a couple GMs think it's not fair because MSL and Sharp put up more points. It affects both guys who were happy with each getting their side of the deal.

2. GMs can do it purely out of self interest. If someone has been trying to get MacKinnon but MacK gets dealt to another team, who he knows won't trade him, he could just veto it and convince others to.

3. Creates a lot of tension between GMs if trades are vetoed. Plain and simple. It frustrates GMs and you totally lose sight of why we play fantasy sports, for the fun and friendly competition.

Just a couple quick examples but the point is, there is no place for it.
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm in a league where we use it, and I'm in two leagues that don't. The league we use it in is (I think) to protect the "rookie" GMs from themselves...which I agreed with for the first year since we all work together and they really needed the protection, but then after that we still have it...WHY!?!?!?!

It also seems like it's always me who's making the deal every year that people want to veto or at least discuss...I can't help it if I'm awesome I'm all for league parity, but you can't protect a GM from themselves forever.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I generally think veto systems are bush.

But. I agree with them in leagues where the "experience level" is very ranging. As in a few managers new to hockey/fantasy hockey with other managers been doing/following for 5+ years. In experienced leagues, it should be 80-90% or non-existent (preferred). Basically the whole league needs to agree its collusion.

Dobber Sports Veteran

We have both veto votes and non-confidence votes (in the Commish) open to us at all times.

One has been used once, one has never been used.

They are an important option to have open in your League Constitution, but they are seldom used.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!